Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 07:05 AM

859 posts, read 3,321,965 times

Advertisements

I won't lie, I am an ex acyrlic addict. Having acrylics with tips for over 5 years straight!

I couldn't help it, my real nails were short and would chip if I just got a plain manicure. And I can't stand having unpolished hands. It just makes me feel like me and feel finished and polished to have nice nails.

My nails had gotten very brittle from the acrylics, but luckily did get longer. So finally when I graduated from college and got a real job, I asked what other options were (couldn't afford the other options on a student budget!). And now I do the perminent french, pink and white gel over my real nails and my nails are soooo nice. They are so great, the nail underneath remains beautiful. I would never go back to acrylics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 09:12 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,400,676 times
I keep my nails as short as possible. I can't stand having long nails. Sometimes I'll get a manicure and a buff to shine them up, but no polish. My toes on the other hand are always painted.

Greenie

Old 10-13-2007, 09:13 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,400,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissSunshine View Post
I won't lie, I am an ex acyrlic addict. Having acrylics with tips for over 5 years straight!

I couldn't help it, my real nails were short and would chip if I just got a plain manicure. And I can't stand having unpolished hands. It just makes me feel like me and feel finished and polished to have nice nails.

My nails had gotten very brittle from the acrylics, but luckily did get longer. So finally when I graduated from college and got a real job, I asked what other options were (couldn't afford the other options on a student budget!). And now I do the perminent french, pink and white gel over my real nails and my nails are soooo nice. They are so great, the nail underneath remains beautiful. I would never go back to acrylics.
What is the "white gel" ???

Old 10-13-2007, 10:37 AM

859 posts, read 3,321,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
What is the "white gel" ???
Well there is a powder that has is already pink and already white and they give you a french manicure doing that. There is no paint whatsoever, but you have that french look. And then they put gel over it and they go under a UV lamp for a lil bit.

It takes a long time and is expensive, but it lasts me 3 full weeks and my nails have been fab since.

At some places they have an acrlyic version of the pink and white, but I don't care for it. There is also a package where you can get acyrlic nails and gel over it.

At my place they call the non acrylic one pink and white gel, but the names may vary. The gel will always be a little more expensive but worth it in my opinion if you're doing it long term and not just for an occassion.

Oh and it's impossible to chip the white tip is the other big bonus.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:37 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Also keep my nails as short as possible and I never use nail polish. I like to work with my hands and having long nails would just hinder that.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:48 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,651,499 times
Regular length French Acrylics here.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:01 PM

618 posts, read 1,610,646 times
i also keep my nails cut short, usually with pink polish on them

Old 10-13-2007, 05:47 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,777,604 times
Med. length and I usually do them myself. I'm too impatient to sit in a salon while someone does my nails and I can't stand getting a pedicure but I do it myself. I like reds and dark colors and I can't stand chipped polish, so I find myself fixing my nails and spending a lot of time on them. I'm lucky because my nails have always been strong and fairly easy to maintain.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:33 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,949 times
Well funny you should bring this up- I used to be an acrylic addict (alternating between French, American or colored polish) then I just stopped getting my nails done. Way too much maintanance. I kind of liked having a break from all those chemicals....BUT a few months ago, I started going to the salon again and now I'm hooked! I'm currently wearing white tips and I love how my nails look. I'm not sure if I could do this year after year but I'll keep them on for a while, give them a break, then start fresh a few weeks after that. Considering all the work I put into keeping my natural nails nice, I actually think having acrylics is alot less work (in comparison).

Old 10-13-2007, 09:01 PM

329 posts, read 1,442,816 times
I was getting my nails done (acrylics) every other week, but I recently switched to the gels and wow, am I loving them. My nail guy had been trying to talk me into them for months but I resisted. They are a tiny bit more expensive but they last about a week longer between visits and they just look really amazing and stay so clean. I urge anyone that is getting acrylics to try them, you willnot be disappointed. Oh, and thy are soooo much stronger. GELS are the ay to go!

p.s. I am getting my nails done for 10 years. I wanted to let them "breathe" but after one day I couldn't take how horrendeous they looked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty