U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2012, 03:43 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,604,152 times

Advertisements

Anyone own a pair? How well do you like them? Are they worth $500+? I wouldn't mind spending that much if the you are making an investment into a quality item that will last decades. I also like the fact that they're 100% made in the USA, which tends to mean higher quality.

I was looking at something like this:

Alden Men's Wing Tip Blucher Calfskin | TheShoeMart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 02:20 PM

13,518 posts, read 15,163,647 times
Alden is a bit beyond what I would consider an investment. There's cheaper versions that are nearly as good. Allen Edmonds, Meermin, or Andrew Lock to name a few -- the latter two mostly being made in Spain while AE is made in America. What you lose is some quality control and selectiveness in leather, but considering AE's can be regularly bought on sale for around $225-250 if you're willing to wait is double the price worth it?

Old 11-25-2012, 04:35 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,450,790 times
all i've got to say is Chromexcel! Their Horween uppers are beast, if you can afford them. And Alden has been totally stepping up their fashion game by doing collabs with boutiques like Leffot in NYC. Again, the prices are in nosebleed territory.

I like the shape & dye jobs of Grenson's and Manganni's... the toebox is more elongated but not quite as pointy as Santoni, Mantellassi and Magli and other high-end Italian's. My old shoe repair guy who started out as a cobbler for Grenson said that even the best dress shoes like John Lobb won't last more than a decade if worn for work several times a week. The leather upper can only take so much flexing & moisture over years of wear. So don't think about shoes as an investment that last for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty