U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2012, 04:55 PM

210 posts, read 606,166 times

Advertisements

Thinking of buying these Wallabees for a trip to Europe this winter. My question is, how will they hold up in snow? I understand they won't be as effective as a pair of legit winter boots, but I want something comfortable and fashionable so I don't have to lug around multiple pairs of boots. At the same time, I don't want to walk around with my feet wet and freezing the entire time either.

I'll be in Prague and Munich so I assume I'll encounter some snow. Anyone have winter weather experience with Wallabees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 06:11 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,574,424 times
Not an expert on shoes or anything, but they do sell water repellent sprays for suede items.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:54 PM

10,713 posts, read 19,054,470 times
My personal experience w/water repellent sprays is they are okay for occasional exposure to moisture, but not trekking through continuously - guess it depends on if it's "wet" snow as opposed to "dry" snow?

Old 11-25-2012, 09:47 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,254,275 times
I'm not sure if OP lives in a cold climate but I'm pretty sure snow or the amount of moisture in snow would ruin suede. Then again, uggs are suede and I see people wearing them in snow all the time. Keep in mind you will need to clean them or take them to the cleaners.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:04 PM

5,145 posts, read 10,423,450 times
Suede and snow don't mix.
Plus those shoes are cut low. Which means snow in your shoe.

I would go for something like this:
SeaVees 12/67 3 Eye Chukka Walnut Oiled Leather - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways

over the suede. Plus pick up some wool boot socks if your feet tend to get cold.
Why not shop for a pair while there?

Old 11-26-2012, 02:41 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,539,625 times
DD has a pair of Uggs and their cheaper cousins Bear Paws. We got the spray, but the boots are both still trashed from one season of wearing them in snow.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:42 PM

210 posts, read 606,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I'm not sure if OP lives in a cold climate but I'm pretty sure snow or the amount of moisture in snow would ruin suede. Then again, uggs are suede and I see people wearing them in snow all the time. Keep in mind you will need to clean them or take them to the cleaners.

I'm considering them for a trip because they're fashionable, comfortable and versatile. But those things aren't worth sacrificing warmth and dryness.

If I can get by with spraying them with repellant I'll do that, but if they're going to be a disaster it's not even worth trying. I'm a really picky shopper so the last thing I want to do is shop for boots in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty