U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 06:48 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,461,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
Terrible idea. Besides the fact that website looks less then reputable. Soy can accelerate the onset of puberty which could make her daughter's hair grow in faster.

Current science doesn't agree on that. This came out not long ago.

Study: Soy Formula Is Safe - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 07:09 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,417,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Current science doesn't agree on that. This came out not long ago.

Study: Soy Formula Is Safe - ABC News
I wouldn't take one study as scientific fact. There are still very real concerns about soy. Plenty of studies have found links. Does soy cause early onset puberty? Who knows, but why try to solve a problem with something that could very well make it worse?

Old 11-29-2012, 07:52 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,461,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
I wouldn't take one study as scientific fact. There are still very real concerns about soy. Plenty of studies have found links. Does soy cause early onset puberty? Who knows, but why try to solve a problem with something that could very well make it worse?
Anyone truly concerned with early onset puberty should read this.... especially the section entitled Why Is this happening. Joel Fuhrman, M.D.: Girls' Early Puberty: What Causes It, And How To Avoid It

Old 11-30-2012, 11:24 PM

126 posts, read 339,059 times
Please please please do not teach her to use threading or plucking to manage any of her excessive hair. It will only make the hair grow in thicker and coarser. People think this is a myth, but I can tell from personal experience it is not. Methods like plucking stimulate the root to re-grow the hair even stronger to withstand the next plucking session. My excessive growth started in high school. In the beginning it was easy to manage my facial hair by simply clipping the few hairs that grew on my chin with a fingernail clipper, but then I got the bright idea to try tweezing and once waxing and it just completely ruined my chin. I sprouted an entire, thick field of hair down there. I just had the first session of what I hope are successful results with electrolysis, but I can tell it is going to be a long process. I agree with a previous poster who said to take your daughter to a doctor. If you can get a handle on the condition now, it will save her discomfort and lower self esteem later in life. I wish I had that option when I was younger, but if you can give that option to your child then please, go for it.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:42 AM

880 posts, read 1,671,015 times
I grew up with a lot of facial hair as well because my father's side is hairy. I recently found out that I have PCOS so that was also a factor.

But I think since I was 12, I started using Nair hair removal cream for my armpits and leg hair. The first time you use it, it'll take longer to grow back but after a few uses, it takes a few days to grow back. I also have hairy eyebrows, lip hair and chin hair (yeah, I'm kind of cursed) and I get them threaded every 3-4 weeks. Kind of painful a bit, especially the brows, but so worth it.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:53 AM

6,621 posts, read 11,233,595 times
What about those laser hair removal things? My sister is considering getting her arms done so she doesn't look like a caveman.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:49 PM

632 posts, read 965,877 times
Although threading may be a bit painful (for eyebrows), its definitely worth it because you will be able to clean up the brows and make it look nice. As for other facial hair, I would second the recommendation on the "Indian salons".

The Indian threaders in the mall are just as good and from my personal experience (know lots of women who do this), they go to the mall to get their eyebrows threaded or a salon to have a facial/waxing done.

Usually, the older women have the most knowledge about what to do and they take great care in threading, waxing, etc so just find a good one and let her know that your daughter has never done this before and she may be sensitive...the lady will take care of the rest or let you know what she can/can't do.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:57 AM

16,487 posts, read 20,426,398 times
I just recently began reading up on the well-advertised NoNo hair removal system, and it looks like that is a waste of money. Many people said it did not work to begin with, but the big thing is it made the whole house as well as the people themselves smell like burnt hair. They said it was hard to get rid of the smell and they were not happy with the item.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:13 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,475,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tango14 View Post
My 10 year old daughter has a lot of facial hair as well as lots of hair on the arms and legs. She isn't very concerned now. But in a couple of years, it's going to come up. Are there any safe, home -remedies that actually, really work to reduce or remove hair. I don't mind if the process is slow, but it needs to be effective and safe. Thank you.
Good idea to take her to the doctor as already said. Just in case its linked to a health issue.

Electric razors are the best for girls just leaning to shave. You don't have to worry about cuts while one gets used to shaving. It was one of my favorite tween xmas presents from back in the day...lol

I wouldn't use chemicals at all. Developmental and skin reaction issues reason.

For the face - depends. A tweezer should be fine to get rid of any light stach thing. If she starts growing more than that a doctor check up would be in order. You don't want to go crazy with the hair removal at that age because it can be a sign of health issues a child could not communicate.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:20 PM

1,459 posts, read 2,133,586 times
I developed a moustache and dark hair on arms/legs (and other places) in fifth grade... so, around your daughter's age. Mine is a combination of factors (very hairy mother and PCOS.) I have always managed my face with tweezers and wax, and the rest of the body with Nair, wax and shaving.

If this was my daughter, as soon as she spoke up about being self conscious, I would wax her lip/sideburns myself. But I'm very comfortable with the different materials and techniques. If no family members are hairy, bring it up at the next pediatrician/GP visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty