Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 04:01 PM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times

Advertisements

I think consulting a doctor is a good idea. For facial hair there are special hair removal creams for the face which aren't painful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 06:45 PM

2,017 posts, read 3,191,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
What about those laser hair removal things? My sister is considering getting her arms done so she doesn't look like a caveman.
In the past, I've had laser hair removal for my upper lip and chin which worked fantastic for the first couple of months but then slowly grew back. After repeated attempts, it still grew back. I was told that can be common for facial hair growth (if its hormonal), but that people usually have better luck with laser on other parts of their body. I have thought of trying it on my arms and bikini line, but just too costly at this point, especially after my prior failed attempts.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:49 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
Since we're talking about this, even though I know it isn't related directly to the original post, I thought I would ask..

I have a little "mustache" that I have to deal with. It is really only obvious when I am outside in natural light but still. Anyway I use the hair removal cream, whatever I get at the drugstore, and it works but often leaves my face red and irritated because I have very sensitive skin. They usually come with a little bottle of lotion to use after but that stuff burns badly for me.

Anyone have epxerience with something for sensitive skin that works but isn't so harsh? I don't want to tweeze it. I can tweeze my eybrows no problem, and other places too, but for some reason the upper lip is just too painful. Weird, I know.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:02 PM

2,017 posts, read 3,191,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabride View Post
Since we're talking about this, even though I know it isn't related directly to the original post, I thought I would ask..

I have a little "mustache" that I have to deal with. It is really only obvious when I am outside in natural light but still. Anyway I use the hair removal cream, whatever I get at the drugstore, and it works but often leaves my face red and irritated because I have very sensitive skin. They usually come with a little bottle of lotion to use after but that stuff burns badly for me.

Anyone have epxerience with something for sensitive skin that works but isn't so harsh? I don't want to tweeze it. I can tweeze my eybrows no problem, and other places too, but for some reason the upper lip is just too painful. Weird, I know.
I have very sensitive skin too and know how it can burn afterwards. Don't apply the hair removal cream for longer than the suggested time, 3-5 minutes (try to find one for sensitive skin ... I use Nair Face Cream hair remover). Also, I think what really helps me is that I use Aquaphor all around my the lip area for the next couple of hours at least. I find this soothes the area and keeps my skin from getting red and itchy. Aquaphor is a healing ointment that my dermatologist suggested after I had surgery to remove a cyst from underneath my eye area to promote healing.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:53 AM

11 posts, read 56,400 times
You know your daughter is too young she needs gentle care you can take her to any laser clinic.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:16 AM

11 posts, read 56,400 times
You can option for a laser clinic in for extreme raising of hairs.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:13 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post

They do make numbing gels for tattoo and waxing. Maybe try that and tweeze? Don't tweeze around your period. Skin is more sensitive then. Also try tweezing after a hot shower or prime your face by soaking it in a warm towel. Get a good pair of tweezers too. I think Revlon tweezers (around 5$+) are fine BUT they are going to need replaced every year or so. Tweezerman is really nice but also kinda pricey.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:04 AM

175 posts, read 279,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tango14 View Post
My 10 year old daughter has a lot of facial hair as well as lots of hair on the arms and legs. She isn't very concerned now. But in a couple of years, it's going to come up. Are there any safe, home -remedies that actually, really work to reduce or remove hair. I don't mind if the process is slow, but it needs to be effective and safe. Thank you.
Please do not thread. It is much too painful, particular for children. It is barely tolerable on the eyebrows..but on the upper lip it is torturous. I did it once and never again.

I have PCOS so I have similar symptoms as your daughter. She can shave her arms and legs (if she wants to) but as far as facial hair goes I recommend bleaching. Sally Hanson has $5 kits at Target and Wal-Mart that will last a good year. You just mix the bleaching cream and activator powder together, apply, sit for 10 or so minutes, and wash it off. There is just some minor tingling, nothing I would call painful. I do this every 6-8 weeks or so and it makes my upper lip hair (which is the only facial hair I really have) blonde and virtually unnoticeable.

It certainly is smart to anticipate what to do about her facial/body hair so you will prepared if/when it starts to bother her. I really respect you for not trying to change anything before it becomes an issue for her. Too many mothers do and it is a disservice to their child's innocence and it plants seeds of insecurity.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty