U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-27-2012, 03:34 PM
 
4,868 posts, read 7,127,447 times
Reputation: 3134

Advertisements

I'm noticing that I'm getting these small (not vericose) veins showing through the skin of my legs and thighs. I guess maybe they're mini vericose veins but how do you get rid of them or prevent them from getting worse? I'm only in my mid 20's ..maybe I just need to be a little more active (I dance in a dance company 1-4 times/week depending on what we're doing). I noticed my mother has some veins too but they're not that bad..thing is, she's in her 60's so its acceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-27-2012, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times
Reputation: 17411
Have you consulted with a doctor to ensure these are no health concerns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2012, 03:47 PM
 
4,868 posts, read 7,127,447 times
Reputation: 3134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Have you consulted with a doctor to ensure these are no health concerns?
I'm not sure if its a health concern, though maybe it is since I'm on BC pills and I need to watch out for blood clots. Who knows. I've been needing to go in about soemthing else anyways so I'll ask about it next time I go in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 12:57 AM
 
Location: South Bay Native
13,048 posts, read 21,158,596 times
Reputation: 22514
Are you sure they are not just spider veins? My mom had a friend who had those and they bothered her so much she had that treatment done where they inject a solution to break up the residual blood but she said that she just ended up getting different ones months later.

This link should provide lots of info and explain the difference between varicose and spider veins.

Varicose veins and spider veins fact sheet | womenshealth.gov
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 06:04 AM
 
Location: US
5,145 posts, read 10,423,450 times
Reputation: 5326
Ask your mom when she started getting them too. Its not like you wake up looking 60 years old all of a sudden...although I have been told it seems that way.

Reduce or prevent:
- get off hormonal birth control
- eat for vascular health
- get your circulation up everyday
- don't let your blood pool at a standing or sitting job. Take breaks and walk around. Wear compression stockings if you are on your feet.

I had some from working a lot.
Getting my circulation up on a regular basis, quitting smoking, arnica gel use and improved diet worked.
Mine were from habits. Mother has them too but hers are worse because she smokes.
Also gave me a reason to stop smoking. LOL.

I have one left that needs zapped but it doesn't hurt and its barely there. It doesn't even show through a tan.
It did take awhile to repair though so it won't happen over night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 10:18 AM
 
4,868 posts, read 7,127,447 times
Reputation: 3134
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Are you sure they are not just spider veins? My mom had a friend who had those and they bothered her so much she had that treatment done where they inject a solution to break up the residual blood but she said that she just ended up getting different ones months later.

This link should provide lots of info and explain the difference between varicose and spider veins.

Varicose veins and spider veins fact sheet | womenshealth.gov
They could be spider veins. they're not super visible but its enough that I'm concerned. the solution you're referring to, is it the saline injections? I had a coworker that did those but she was in her late 30's. Not sure any doctor of mine would do those on me :-/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 10:31 AM
 
4,868 posts, read 7,127,447 times
Reputation: 3134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Ask your mom when she started getting them too. Its not like you wake up looking 60 years old all of a sudden...although I have been told it seems that way.

Reduce or prevent:
- get off hormonal birth control
- eat for vascular health
- get your circulation up everyday
- don't let your blood pool at a standing or sitting job. Take breaks and walk around. Wear compression stockings if you are on your feet.

I had some from working a lot.
Getting my circulation up on a regular basis, quitting smoking, arnica gel use and improved diet worked.
Mine were from habits. Mother has them too but hers are worse because she smokes.
Also gave me a reason to stop smoking. LOL.

I have one left that needs zapped but it doesn't hurt and its barely there. It doesn't even show through a tan.
It did take awhile to repair though so it won't happen over night.
I'll ask her. her's aren't that bad though. she just has very white legs so they show more.

-I have thought about getting off BC but I need it for acne and i'm sexually active so its really not an option to get off them. I plan to get off them if my boyfriend and I get married and when we start trying for kids. so probably at least another 4-5 years.
-what does eating for vascular health entail? monounsaturated fats right? I eat pretty healthy overall, I don't smoke, drink, or eat much red meats. My biggest culprit is sweets and salty food but that's my only food vice. Been working on eating low sodium food and low sugar foods too. Its SO hard but I'm nowhere near how I was when I was a teenager so there's improvement. I think my salt cravings are from not enough meats/proteins so I'm working on that too.
-I dance but ya, I definitely need to walk more. Been trying to get on a running regimen but my schedule is so inconsistent that its hard to.

thank you for the tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 10:53 AM
 
Location: US
5,145 posts, read 10,423,450 times
Reputation: 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
I'll ask her. her's aren't that bad though. she just has very white legs so they show more.

-I have thought about getting off BC but I need it for acne and i'm sexually active so its really not an option to get off them. I plan to get off them if my boyfriend and I get married and when we start trying for kids. so probably at least another 4-5 years.
-what does eating for vascular health entail? monounsaturated fats right? I eat pretty healthy overall, I don't smoke, drink, or eat much red meats. My biggest culprit is sweets and salty food but that's my only food vice. Been working on eating low sodium food and low sugar foods too. Its SO hard but I'm nowhere near how I was when I was a teenager so there's improvement. I think my salt cravings are from not enough meats/proteins so I'm working on that too.
-I dance but ya, I definitely need to walk more. Been trying to get on a running regimen but my schedule is so inconsistent that its hard to.

thank you for the tips!

Heart healthy which is high fiber,hydration and lower in salts and sweets than you probably eat now.
Heart Disease and a Heart-Healthy Diet

They make non-hormonal BC.

Reducing your salty sugar thing will probably help with your skin a lot. OR something topically. I hate how they market that poison with the clear skin thing. There are other solutions out there.

Ask yourself what you crave more: your crappy food to ruin your looks and health OR healthy clear legs....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 11:29 AM
 
4,868 posts, read 7,127,447 times
Reputation: 3134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Heart healthy which is high fiber,hydration and lower in salts and sweets than you probably eat now.
Heart Disease and a Heart-Healthy Diet

They make non-hormonal BC.

Reducing your salty sugar thing will probably help with your skin a lot. OR something topically. I hate how they market that poison with the clear skin thing. There are other solutions out there.

Ask yourself what you crave more: your crappy food to ruin your looks and health OR healthy clear legs....
The only non hormonal BC I'm familiar with is the copper IUD. I'm scared it'll attach to my uterus or that my body will reject it and expel it. Next time I see my dr. I'll ask what other non hormonal options I have. I know there is the Nuva ring but I think that's hormonal and my best friend said it dried her out really bad

Ya you're right about the salt/sweets and skin thing. Like I said, its my only vice and I'm nowhere near as bad as I used to be, but I generally don't eat that much anyways. I'm sure my skin would do fine without the BC now, especially since my diet is a lot better (though it still needs improvement), but I'm so gun-shy from the horrible acne I had that cleared up when I was a preteen/teenager only for it to come back with a vengeance again when I was 18/19 with on/off flare ups since then. I do use topical prescription stuff too. It just hasn't worked as well as the BC. My skin is super stubborn and I'm anticipating having acne most of the rest of my life. The other option is expensive acne facials. Either way, I'll talk to my dr. about it and see what other options I have because something has gotta give cause my legs are not going to get nicer looking at this rate..lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 11:31 AM
 
4,868 posts, read 7,127,447 times
Reputation: 3134
Also that heart healthy diet is pretty much what I do (was raised on the Mediterranean diet) except gotta work on lowering the sweets! haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top