U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 09:09 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,813,163 times

Advertisements

Anything that covers up humongous fat rolls and fat butt. Please, no tight pants, no pants period. Please, very please, very very please, no shorts and mini dresses. Younger fatties have youth on their side that somehow soften the pain of looking at them. Voluptuous women past 40 should cover up more for the sake of public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 09:52 AM

571 posts, read 948,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Also depends on environment. Cocktail party or work environment or PTA meeting?
What you'd wear on your own personal time - whether it's out with friends, significant other. Depending on your industry, some attire just isn't going to work no matter what the age/body shape.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:01 AM

571 posts, read 948,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Looking at the list, I think your first question should be, "do you have the kind of body that looks good in these items?" It really doesn't have much to do with age. It's shape.
While I agree that it has to do with shape, I think I'm at the stage where I need to take age into account.

I've been the same size for years and my hubby loves some of the same clothes he's always loved: tight t-shirts, mini skirts. I'm a size 0/2, but just because I can fit into some of these younger styles doesn't mean that I should. So, I'm trying to update my look a little to be flattering-but-sophisticated (not matronly). The issue also is that I'm 5'2", so honestly there are certain skirt lengths that look great on tall women, but definitely look matronly on me. My style also is edgy, so I'm trying to mix the young looks with the more sophisticated. For example, I love graphic t-shirts and am pairing them a little more with dress pants or pencil skirts. If I wear cuffed shorts, I wear them with a button down fitted shirt and sophisticated jewelry. I also like torn slouchy jeans. I like to pair this with a fitted turtleneck and scarf.

The other issue is that my kids are getting a little older (I have 4 kids - my oldest is 13) and I certainly don't want to make him uncomfortable by wearing low cut tops that will bring looks from other men (my husband tells me not to give it a second thought, that my son doesn't care and I should wear whatever looks good). Ugh!

Old 11-29-2012, 11:16 AM

10,866 posts, read 18,930,000 times
I think a lot of it depends on where you're wearing the clothes.

My daughter had a kindergarten teacher who was in amazing shape and somewhere in her 40's. She used to wear very short skirts and heels every day. We thought that was a little odd for the situation, even though we wouldn't have thought twice about it if we'd seen someone that age and that appearance dressed like that somewhere else.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:19 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,446,039 times
I can only assume you look perfect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Anything that covers up humongous fat rolls and fat butt. Please, no tight pants, no pants period. Please, very please, very very please, no shorts and mini dresses. Younger fatties have youth on their side that somehow soften the pain of looking at them. Voluptuous women past 40 should cover up more for the sake of public.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:20 AM

2,890 posts, read 5,160,745 times
Do you wear:
1) Mini skirts - NO
2) Shorts - not yet, but I will, once I lose 10 more pounds
3) Cropped jackets - Yes
4) Mini dresses - NO
5) Sweater dresses - no, only because it's too warm here
6) Graphic tees - YES
7) Skinny jeans - only skinny asian kids look good in these
8) Leggings - nobody should wear these, don't people realize you can see through them on a sunny day!
9) Strapless tops / dresses - Yes
10) Bangle bracelets or other attention-grabbing jewelry - Absolutely

I'm over 50.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:24 AM

2,890 posts, read 5,160,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
That is a matter of shape, not age. Certain clothing styles should not even be made in larger size.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:25 PM

26,879 posts, read 28,188,703 times
I don't think there are hard and fast rules. But as you get older, you should be cognizant of only flaunting one body part at a time. I.E. cleavage or legs. Etc.

The rest is dependent on how you feel about your own features.

There is no age limit on well fitting clothing.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:40 PM

136 posts, read 176,761 times
All of thse items can be worn after 40 with the appropriate ensemble. These can all be found in both the juniors and misses section. Many times it just a change of fabric, color, or texture to suit your age.

My preferences:
1) Mini skirts - only in cool weather with dark hose/tights and a blazer
2) Shorts - I stopped wearing shorts after college. For every short there is a skirt that will work just as well and you dont have to worry about the crotch being too loose or too tight.
3) Cropped jackets - after 30,its called a bolero. Solid colors with out any embellishment (fringe, ruffles, peplum,etc), accessorized for the occasion.
4) Mini dresses - no, I have yet to find one that suited my style.
5) Sweater dresses - see mini skirt
6) Graphic tees - yes, but but it must have some sparkle. I have to dress it up with jeans and blazer/drape cardigan and some form of heel. Stud earrings and shiny handbag.
7) Skinny jeans - layer with shirt, blazer, cardigan that shows no more than a hint of rear... Peek-a-booty. Always wear with a heel
8) Leggings - the material cannot be too thin and worn only during exercise, yoga. If we include jeggings then i'll wear these frequently in moderate temps. I prefer capris so I can do the retro 50's styling
9) Strapless tops / dresses - not without appropriate under- and outer-wear.
10) Bangle bracelets or other attention-grabbing jewelry - with solid colors clothing only. Not with shiny fabrics, prints or textures that compete with jewelry.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,438 times
Default jackets

I would like to give you all an effective idea that whenever you go to buy any garments what you want to buy so take care to ask any body about how it will express your body, Because sometime you purchase wearing what you like but it does not mathc with your body expressions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty