U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 01:02 PM

3,592 posts, read 4,514,196 times

Advertisements

I know lots of people will say "wear what you want, what makes you feel comfortable."

And yes, a lot depends on your body type and knowing what looks good.

Assuming you are in tune with what suits your body, are there some clothes that are just off limits because of your age? How about labels? Are there labels that just scream too young?

Personally, I tend to wear mini skirts and cuffed shorts (both balanced by dressy blouses) because I'm petite and my legs are an asset (I'm 42). At the moment, I am toned and do not have any veins showing. Eventually, I know I'll have to ditch the shorts and perhaps wear tights with the short skirts (I love the look of a short skirt, tights and a turtleneck on older women).

So the question is, do you have any clothing items that you simply refuse to wear because of age? If your style has changed, is it because of your changing body or just because you feel older? Do you have an older style icon? As an observer, what are some of the most common mistakes women over 40 make in their style? Would love to get input from women of all ages.

Do you wear:
1) Mini skirts
Shorter skirts, but not mini.

2) Shorts
Working out, but not ready for shorts yet.
3) Cropped jackets
Don't like them; they look to matronly & "churchy"
4) Mini dresses
Nope.
5) Sweater dresses
Yes, but I have to find the right kinds.
6) Graphic tees
Yes, occasionally
7) Skinny jeans
Absolutely not.
8) Leggings
Absolutely not.
9) Strapless tops / dresses
Shoulders and arms are one of my best assets, so yes.
10) Bangle bracelets or other attention-grabbing jewelry
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 01:23 PM

2,612 posts, read 4,588,692 times
I don't think anything on the list is automatically off the table for everyone. It really depends on the person's body type and the styling of the clothing. I have seen women over 40 wear miniskirts and look fantastic and stylish, and others just look like they are trying too hard (and missing). Same with skinny jeans and leggings. I saw a woman in her late 50's wearing over the knee boots the other day with a miniskirt and huge necklace and she looked fantastic. She has a great, slim-straight body and the clothes were super expensive. Another lady that age was wearing skinny jeans with heels and a tucked in blouse and looked fantastic. She's tiny all over. Me, I'm heavy and very curvy - either of those outfits would have made me look totally hoochie and ridiculous. I know I don't have great style or a great clothes body, so I try to wear pretty conservative, simple clothing that fits well (nothing worse than when you can see rolls or bra/panty lines). I think you just have to know your body and your clothing limits.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:25 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,162,859 times
Default I'm in my mid 60's

Do you wear:
1) Mini skirts no
2) Shorts no
3) Cropped jackets yes
4) Mini dresses no
5) Sweater dresses yes
6) Graphic tees yes
7) Skinny jeans yes
8) Leggings no
9) Strapless tops / dresses yes
10) Bangle bracelets or other attention-grabbing jewelry yes

My legs are still shapely and I could wear shorts, and short skirts, but my legs were scarred badly in a car accident. When I wear skirts or dresses I wear opaque hose. I prefer maxi/ length for obvious reasons.

I am an artist, and wear jeans and tees almost daily. I just try on tons of jeans to find what fits the best. I've been collecting tees for years. For dress I prefer Flax, Linen and Silk. My favorite brand of silk, is Citron. I like some of Eileen Fisher--but too much of it is kind of blah. For my husband's business functions I wear conservative dinner suits. For my "business and openings" I wear dramatic layered outfits, (art to wear) and bold, mostly hand made jewelry. Shopping and sightseeing I wear Flax or Linen long skirt or pants outfits, with silk blouses. I dress for comfort. I have two long sweater dresses, I wear with boots when we visit NYC, or Chicago.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:39 PM

4,004 posts, read 5,085,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post
I know lots of people will say "wear what you want, what makes you feel comfortable."

Assuming you are in tune with what suits your body, are there some clothes that are just off limits because of your age? How about labels? Are there labels that just scream too young?

There are plenty of shops I no longer even enter...you know the ones with the skimpy dresses, cheap mini skirts etc...there just doesn't seem to be enough fabric to these clothes!

Personally, I tend to wear mini skirts and cuffed shorts (both balanced by dressy blouses) because I'm petite and my legs are an asset (I'm 42). At the moment, I am toned and do not have any veins showing. Eventually, I know I'll have to ditch the shorts and perhaps wear tights with the short skirts (I love the look of a short skirt, tights and a turtleneck on older women).

Arrrgh sorry but I think the only ones who can get away with turtlenecks, are actual turtles.

So the question is, do you have any clothing items that you simply refuse to wear because of age? If your style has changed, is it because of your changing body or just because you feel older? Do you have an older style icon? As an observer, what are some of the most common mistakes women over 40 make in their style? Would love to get input from women of all ages.

Do you wear:
1) Mini skirts not any more
2) Shorts constantly - its hot here
3) Cropped jackets yes
4) Mini dresses no
5) Sweater dresses no
6) Graphic tees hell to the no
7) Skinny jeans yep
8) Leggings yep
9) Strapless tops / dresses yep - but only when it's hot
10) Bangle bracelets or other attention-grabbing jewelry absolutely!
One of the best things about getting older is you tend to know more about what suits you, no longer care about what other people think about you, and you can get away with loads of bling (in my opinion)!

Also I have good smooth skin, no bingo wings, if I was looking like an old raisin the strapless stuff would be a no-go.

I really have fun incorporating the new trends though. When you get older, you're no longer a "fashion victim" (hopefully) yet you can adapt some of the wilder stuff easily to stay updated.

At the moment the old ladies favorite, leopard print, is back, and I'm wearing it to death.

I've also got some studded shoes, handbags, and belts.

I've just bought a tangerine coloured cardigan and some black strappy sandals for summer.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:33 PM

27,503 posts, read 17,642,239 times
I'm 46.

Quote:

Do you wear:
1) Mini skirts yes, not crazy you can't bend over type.
2) Shorts Of course.
3) Cropped jackets Not climate appropriate, so know. I have a few jersey type long sleeve things that tie beneath the breasts.
4) Mini dresses Yes, reasonable for daytime. Can go shorter at night if rest is conservative. Where boy shorts with them.
5) Sweater dresses Would, but not climate appropriate.
6) Graphic tees Yes, but not my fave.
7) Skinny jeans Have a couple pairs. Find it hard to find this style that looks good on me.
8) Leggings Yes, when in cold climates, with a shirt or dress over it. As long as it covers the bum.
9) Strapless tops / dresses Whole closet full.
10) Bangle bracelets or other attention-grabbing jewelry Yes, but only where one significant piece per outfit

Old 11-30-2012, 10:01 PM

40,957 posts, read 32,676,353 times
I am 50. I am tall with long legs and a pretty well proportioned body. I do have some "age related issues" - a few varicose veins, a little more pudge around my midsection, and the thing I hate the WORST - the start of loose skin under my chin, even though I have very good skin on my face that isn't even wrinkled! And here I thought I was going to get off easy and along comes this under the chin bidness! SHEEZE! I assure you - at age 55 I am getting that stuff tucked and tightened and that's no lie. But anyway - to the list:

1) Mini skirts - I wear skirts that fall between my knee and thigh with tights - not bare legs though
2) Shorts - yes, absolutely, but not short shorts
3) Cropped jackets - I have a few but I have to be very careful about them. If the cut isn't exactly right, they can look REALLY WEIRD on a tall person with long legs!
4) Mini dresses - no way!
5) Sweater dresses - I have one that I like but it's hard to find ones that look good on me.
6) Graphic tees - yuck, no.
7) Skinny jeans - only with longer tops.
8) Leggings - with longer tops
9) Strapless tops / dresses - no
10) Bangle bracelets or other attention-grabbing jewelry - ABSOLUTELY!

Old 11-30-2012, 10:02 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,779,099 times
1) Mini skirts -No
2) Shorts - Yes
3) Cropped jackets -I think they are tacky
4) Mini dresses -No
5) Sweater dresses -Yes
6) Graphic tees -Just ran to target in a Ramones shirt -ooops. But no.
7) Skinny jeans - Yes, with age appropriate tops.
8) Leggings - Yes...sweater dress companion!
9) Strapless tops / dresses - Over a bathing suit maybe but never alone.
10) Bangle bracelets or other attention-grabbing jewelry - Definitely

I am 41, 5'8 size 2, slight but toned, dyed champagne blonde.... After a certain age women look ridiculous in really short dresses, skirts and shorts. Even as a "young" woman I dressed pretty conservatively...no cleavage. In my experience men find women that are classy more appealing than women who are trendy and less conservative...at least in the long run. I wear a lot of black... I do applaud women that find freedom in dressing however the heck they want though...it just think it looks ridiculous!

Old 10-26-2017, 07:54 PM

133 posts, read 47,498 times
It depends what looks good in your body type and if you aged well.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:23 PM

2,276 posts, read 926,851 times
Quote:

Do you wear:
1) Mini skirts Yes, I will wear them once in a great while. Not so much because I am in my 40's but simply because I am mostly a t-shirt and jeans person.

2) Shorts I don't wear shorts except around the house. This hasn't changed with age.

3) Cropped jackets No, but I didn't wear them when I was younger, either.

4) Mini dresses Once in a great while because I'm not really a dress person.

5) Sweater dresses Nah, not since I lost my pancake flat abs after having the kid.

6) Graphic tees Yes, depending on imagery. I like the ones w/ humorous sayings and graphics like dragons/eagles/skulls, etc. Nothing too girly.

7) Skinny jeans OH MY GAWD NO...who created this abomination? LOL I wouldn't wear them no matter what age I was. They look horrible on me since I am short and curvy.

8) Leggings Yes, I do once in a while. My legs are one of my better body features as I walk constantly and dance for exercise.

9) Strapless tops / dresses I never did wear these much because I am busty and I never seem to have found a good strapless bra that will actually stay put

10) Bangle bracelets or other attention-grabbing jewelry Yes, I love to wear crazy jewelry!
I've always loved unique pieces and have some really strange stuff. One of my favorite pieces is an octopus ring. Forget the diamonds, I want the bizarre

I don't know if there are any brands that scream "too young" but I personally feel odd with wearing the VS Pink brand so don't. The line doesn't appeal to me anyhow.

I avoid wearing crop-tops since I've picked up some weight since the menopause started about a year ago and I put on 30 lbs I've lost about 14 of it but living on 1100 calories a day sucks. I color my hair its natural color to cover the grey instead of dyeing it black as I did in my younger years; the black is too harsh now and highlights flaws in my skin. It's rare that I wear makeup, but I use mineral powder foundation rather than liquid and stick with matte eyeshadows and lipsticks instead of metallic shades.

Mistakes that women 40+ make in their fashion? I think that there are two basic extremes. Some women just seem to automatically assume that hitting 40 means they need to stop having any kind of fun with fashion and need to start dressing like a nun. Other women kind of go a bit crazy the other way and seem to take their fashion tips from their teen daughters

I don't have a particular icon at the moment. When I was a teenager, I wanted to look like Joan Jett

Old 10-26-2017, 10:38 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,292,726 times
I'm 47, 5'1", and very narrow-framed. I ride my bicycle several times a week and stay active, but I make no judgments of anyone else. I would not shop at stores like Forever 21, Aeropostale, Hot Topic, and the like. I'll put in answers below.

Quote:

Do you wear:
1) Mini skirts--with tights and low-heeled boots.
2) Shorts--Over swimwear or shorts that hit two-inches above the knee.
3) Cropped jackets--yes, because I am short.
4) Mini dresses --again, with tights/leggings.
5) Sweater dresses --depends, but often with a belt/tights.
6) Graphic tees--for riding my bike or sleeping, possibly layering.
7) Skinny jeans--definitely.
8) Leggings--of course, but not as pants.
9) Strapless tops / dresses--with jackets, cardigans.
10) Bangle bracelets or other attention-grabbing jewelry--yes, but less is more.

Forgot to add style icons: Audrey Hepburn, Deborah Harris, Christina Ricci (all relatively petite women)

Last edited by diva360; 10-26-2017 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: forgetfulness happens to the best of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty