U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 09:26 AM

489 posts, read 383,655 times

Advertisements

As Padgett2 stated it is not about age but more about the person's shape. Some 40 year olds have taken care of themselves and are in great shape. And some 20 year olds don't need to wear mini skirts or skinny jeans... lol

As for my style - mini skirts- no
shorts - yes, I usually wear Bermudas with cute sandals or heels
cropped jacket- no, just not my style
mini dresses - sometimes with tights and booties or heels but they are not too short
sweater dresses - no, not my style
graphic tees - sometimes on the weekends
skinny jeans - yes
leggings - I have worn them in the past but not so much the last 2 years.
I used to wear them with nice top or dress and boots
strapless tops/ dresses - no but I didn't wear them in my 20's either
attention-grabbing jewelry - yes, I'm not dead...geez!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 12:53 PM
Status: "The violence and killing has to stop!!." (set 1 day ago)

4,088 posts, read 2,386,162 times
I know lots of people will say "wear what you want, what makes you feel comfortable."

And yes, a lot depends on your body type and knowing what looks good.

Assuming you are in tune with what suits your body, are there some clothes that are just off limits because of your age? How about labels? Are there labels that just scream too young?

Personally, I tend to wear mini skirts and cuffed shorts (both balanced by dressy blouses) because I'm petite and my legs are an asset (I'm 42). At the moment, I am toned and do not have any veins showing. Eventually, I know I'll have to ditch the shorts and perhaps wear tights with the short skirts (I love the look of a short skirt, tights and a turtleneck on older women).

So the question is, do you have any clothing items that you simply refuse to wear because of age? If your style has changed, is it because of your changing body or just because you feel older? Do you have an older style icon? As an observer, what are some of the most common mistakes women over 40 make in their style? Would love to get input from women of all ages.

Do you wear:
1) Mini skirts...............Not mini but I will wear them a little above my knee.
2) Shorts ..................Yes, longer shorts not the shorter ones I once wore.
3) Cropped jackets ..............No
4) Mini dresses ...........No
5) Sweater dresses ..................I have an awesome Calvin Klein sweater dress I've not worn yet.
6) Graphic tees ...................Yes, mainly Harley Davidson stuff
7) Skinny jeans......Yes, have on a pair now.
8) Leggings .............No
9) Strapless tops / dresses ..............No
10) Bangle bracelets or other attention-grabbing jewelry.............I'll occasionally wear a statement necklace.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:29 PM

1,256 posts, read 464,739 times
I wear #6 and # 10.

I dress very classy and sophisticated most of the time. My style icons are Jackie O. and Audrey Hepburn, Katie Holmes, Grace Kelly, Kate Middleton, Kim Novak in Vertigo, Carolina Herrera, some Katherine Hepburn

I’m 42.

Explained:

My closet is recently edited, lots of things donated and sold on poshmark. I kept my classics.

Dresses
Skirts
Sweaters
Lots of layering tops
I’m a cardigan addict
Lots of black
Black with white
Black with cream
Black with grey
Taupe
Camel
Blush
Pearls
Diamonds
Gold
Classy shoes and bags
Gold Michael Kors Runway Watch
Grey and Gold Cluse Watch
Big Black Sunglasses

Last edited by SouthernProper; 10-27-2017 at 06:01 PM..

Old 10-27-2017, 05:49 PM

1,492 posts, read 222,039 times
1) Mini skirts - not too short, and with black tights
2) Shorts - I just stopped wearing the short ones this summer. Iíll start wearing ones a bit longer now I think.
3) Cropped jackets - no
4) Mini dresses - not too short, but above the knee still, yes
5) Sweater dresses - no
6) Graphic tees - sure, some are cute, like with a jean jacket or some other stylish jacket
7) Skinny jeans - yes
8) Leggings - no, canít stand them!
9) Strapless tops / dresses - yes
10) Bangle bracelets or other attention-grabbing jewelry - sometimes, but not too much at a time, can get tacky. Keep it simple.

Some may say itís tacky for an older woman to wear some of these, but when you look a lot younger, then how does it look tacky?....it doesnít. To each her own Iím 49 btw, but look like Iím in my thirties.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:19 PM

30,408 posts, read 9,086,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
there are also a lot of 'ages" past 40. what would look good on a 40 year old would not look good on a 60 yr. old. there will always be people dressing in clothes that don't look right on them at all ages. however at some point, there are things you shouldn't wear past an "age". pigtails come to mind, as well as too short of skirt, too high shorts. the list gets longer the older you are.

Generalities are seldom true.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:52 AM

13,105 posts, read 17,646,574 times
well I'm middle 50s so
Do you wear:
1) Mini skirts heck no
2) Shorts - only capris
3) Cropped jackets -no
4) Mini dresses -no
5) Sweater dresses -no
6) Graphic tees -no
7) Skinny jeans-no
8) Leggings - no
9) Strapless tops / dresses -no not my style and I did not wear them when I was younger either
10) Bangle bracelets or other attention-grabbing jewelry- only religious jewelry

Old 10-28-2017, 04:41 PM

3,836 posts, read 6,608,408 times
I just turned 52. In a lot of ways I think I look better than I ever did. Over the past year I've lost 55 pounds, so my style is changing to better flatter my new, improved curves. I have purchased quite a few items from Anne Klein: a wrap top, skinny ankle pants, a tomato red crocheted sheath dress....

Do you wear:
1) Mini skirts: no

2) Shorts: yes, of all lengths.

3) Cropped jackets: no, I don't think they flatter my chest or my waist. I just bought a classic denim jacket that I will wear with a vintage rhinestone brooch pinned on it.

4) Mini dresses: no, I never have, even though I might wear a short skirt. I really like sleeveless shealth dresses that can be paired with a blazer or cardigan. I have always had trouble buying off the rack suits because I usually need a larger jacket and a smaller skirt, so I just started wearing the sheath dress/jacket combo. I always feel confident wearing them with a pair of diamond studs and a sparkly brooch with a pair of plain pumps.

My lbd is a plain, fitted sheath.

5) Sweater dresses: yes, especially a turtle neck one with a blazer.

6) Graphic tees: I wear college t-shirts all the time. I also make vinyl transfers with our boat name and logo on them, and wear them on the boat. Over the winter I plan on experimenting with more designs but I don't care for t-shirts with smart alec sayings on them.

7) Skinny jeans: yes, usually with a flowy blouse or tunic and ballet flats or tucked into riding boots. I love those Knox Rose blouses from Target.

8) Leggings: yes, usually paired the same way as my skinny jeans. I love wearing them with a lacy tunic of the same color for a monochromatic look. I think they flatter my toned legs and I often wear capri length ones with sandals in warmer weather.

9) Strapless tops / dresses: no, I am well endowed (36H). Nothing strapless is ever going to to look nice on me, nor would I feel supported in a strapless bra. I don't even wear camisole type tops.

My preference is for sleeveless tops to show off toned arms or to layer with a cardigan or jacket.

10) Bangle bracelets or other attention-grabbing jewelry: I think less is more with jewelry, and I am more partial to earrings than any other jewelry. My favorites are the dangly, sparkly ones that I find on Etsy. I also love vintage rhinestone jewelry from designers like Weiss and Kramer and if I find a nice set I buy it. If the set has a bracelet, I will wear it. Most of the time though, my jewelry is a pair of earrings and my engagement ring.

I think life is too short to wear clothes that don't make you feel fabulous!

Old 10-28-2017, 07:39 PM

26,875 posts, read 28,154,657 times
I'll play, I am turning 40 next year.

Do you wear:
1) Mini skirts - sure, not super short. Roughly mid-thigh or finger tip length.
2) Shorts - not really, it is rarely warm enough for them here. I have a few shorts rimpers - same rule as skirts.
3) Cropped jackets - not a great cut for me, I have a really short torso.
4) Mini dresses - not really, they tend to be really short. But, a dress above the knee? Sure.
5) Sweater dresses - ocassionally. I have one in my regular rotation and I am open to more. As long as the knit isn't too thin.
6) Graphic tees - I don't wear a lot of t-shirts of any form, but a goid graphic? Sure.
7) Skinny jeans - only jeans I have
8) Leggings - yup, with a longer top
9) Strapless tops / dresses - nope, I am busty. This cut doesn't really work for me. And finding a strapless bra that fits is a pain.
10) Bangle bracelets or other attention-grabbing jewelry[/quote] - I find multiple bangles noisy. I'll wear one. Define attention grabbing? I like some statement pieces.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:00 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
I'm 40. I don't wear:

1) Mini skirts
2) Shorts
3) Cropped jackets
4) Mini dresses

And never did.

I do wear:

5) Sweater dresses
6) Graphic tees
7) Skinny jeans
8) Leggings
10) Bangle bracelets or other attention-grabbing jewelry

Always have.

I wore:

9) Strapless dress

For my wedding when I was 36, and I wear tube maxi dresses in the summer sometimes, but halters are my preference.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:40 PM

60 posts, read 38,660 times
Wow-guess I am the oldest responding here. I am 70.
1} minis- well Yeah I wore minis in my day now no- above knee or just below prefer skirts with darker hose.
2)Shorts-yep but not the butt showing kind maybe 2" above the knee
3) cropped jacket-not sure what you mean here-have worn a shorter top then what was under though.
4)mini dress-see 1
5)sweater dress-never had one but not opposed to the idea
6}Graphic tee- pretty much don't like them but if it was really cute might try.
7) skinny jeans-not really sure what you mean by this-do like the new stretch type jeans that are so much more comfortable then the old jeans
8)leggings-no
9)strapless-no
10)jewelry- yes but with some restraint-e.g if I wear my rather large silver turquoise necklace I will only wear a simple pair of earrings with it

I think as you get older you tend to go more classic then the extreme. Not saying that my mini skirt was any longer then anyone else!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty