U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 06:43 PM

12,635 posts, read 14,670,082 times

Advertisements

I think you can wear anything at any age as long as it looks good on you. For instance, lots of women in their 60s and 70s wear shorts, even shorter shorts (not up to their butt, of course) and look great. Others don't look good in shorts in their 20s. I think miniskirts are fine if you have the body for it and it doesn't make you look like a hoe.

I'm in my 50s:

Do you wear:
1) Mini skirts - no
2) Shorts - yes, but not as short as I used to wear them
3) Cropped jackets - sure - why not?
4) Mini dresses - no
5) Sweater dresses - yes, if they are flattering
6) Graphic tees - no
7) Skinny jeans - yes
8) Leggings - just around the house
9) Strapless tops / dresses - in the summer, yes
10) Bangle bracelets or other attention-grabbing jewelry - no, but I don't wear much jewelry anyway; just never been my thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 07:09 PM

3,233 posts, read 1,510,059 times
I am almost 62:

Do you wear:
1) Mini skirts - no
2) Shorts - yes, at home or when it's miserably hot - I don't care if you see my saggy knees.
3) Cropped jackets- I have a couple leather moto jackets, but my favorites are my black and brown Pendleton buttah leather blazers
4) Mini dresses - no
5) Sweater dresses - no-too warm
6) Graphic tees - sometimes with jeans and clogs.
7) Skinny jeans - yes
8) Leggings - no
9) Strapless tops / dresses - I have several off-the-shoulder tops
10) Bangle bracelets or other attention-grabbing jewelry - I like to stack my native american bracelets - mostly wide bangles, some silver, some silver and turquoise/lapis/coral

Old 11-01-2017, 06:29 AM

684 posts, read 2,668,304 times
I don't understand the popularity of skinny jeans--no one looks good in them unless they are very thin.

I prefer jeans with a bit of a flare leg, which are harder to find now. I actually found some at American Eagle

Old 11-01-2017, 08:24 AM

26,921 posts, read 28,281,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
I don't understand the popularity of skinny jeans--no one looks good in them unless they are very thin.

I prefer jeans with a bit of a flare leg, which are harder to find now. I actually found some at American Eagle
I am not skinny, but skinny jeans work way better for me. Since I have big thighs, it is impossible to get pants that fit that are sufficiently loose in the thigh and not too loose or ill-fitting on my lower leg. Skinny neans (and leggings) are intentionally tight the whole way down. Looks way better than super tight pants above the knee and baggy pants below the knee. I do not wear oants beyond leggings and skinny jeans for this reason. In 25+ years I have maybe ever found half a dozen pants that fit properly in the leg. The amount of alterations it would take to get properly fitting trousers is not worth the expense. I have never found a pair of lined pants that work.

Skinny jeans can work for anyone, when they fit properly, have the right rise for your shape and are paired with the right top. They look crappy when the rise is too low or hits in the wrong place causing muffin top. And so tight they looked poured on and uncomfortable.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:31 AM

4,144 posts, read 1,751,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am not skinny, but skinny jeans work way better for me. Since I have big thighs, it is impossible to get pants that fit that are sufficiently loose in the thigh and not too loose or ill-fitting on my lower leg. Skinny neans (and leggings) are intentionally tight the whole way down. Looks way better than super tight pants above the knee and baggy pants below the knee. I do not wear oants beyond leggings and skinny jeans for this reason. In 25+ years I have maybe ever found half a dozen pants that fit properly in the leg. The amount of alterations it would take to get properly fitting trousers is not worth the expense. I have never found a pair of lined pants that work.

Skinny jeans can work for anyone, when they fit properly, have the right rise for your shape and are paired with the right top. They look crappy when the rise is too low or hits in the wrong place causing muffin top. And so tight they looked poured on and uncomfortable.
Nope. ESPECIALLY if one has larger thighs.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:50 AM

10,137 posts, read 9,379,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post
Do you wear:
1) Mini skirts - YES
2) Shorts - YES, I live in Texas
3) Cropped jackets - YES
4) Mini dresses - YES
5) Sweater dresses - Eh, nah, don't like them much
6) Graphic tees - YES
7) Skinny jeans - YES, but not really by choice. seems to be the popular style. i like wide leg/flare pants personally
8) Leggings - NO. only when I work out.
9) Strapless tops / dresses - For the most part NO. Not much upstairs and strapless emphasizes that.
10) Bangle bracelets or other attention-grabbing jewelry - YES
I'm 42. I regularly shop at H&M, which can be considered a store for younger people. I buy what makes me look and feel great, regardless of age. That's how I approached fashion in my 20s and that hasn't changed. So yes, I wear shorts that aren't bermuda length, off the shoulder tops, bright colors, big jewelry, mini dresses... I mean, why not? Actually I'm more fit now in my 40s than in my 20s.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

I hate skinny jeans, they aren't comfortable unless you have skinny legs. The rise often gives most people muffin tops. Thankfully they tend to sit on my hip bone so no real issue. I don't like having to have my socks etc. come off with my pants because they're so tight.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:20 PM

26,921 posts, read 28,281,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I hate skinny jeans, they aren't comfortable unless you have skinny legs. The rise often gives most people muffin tops. Thankfully they tend to sit on my hip bone so no real issue. I don't like having to have my socks etc. come off with my pants because they're so tight.
Mid-rise skinnies are the best! I only get mid-rise ones with sufficient stretch. They hit me at my waist which is perfect. I have a high rise pair that is pretty good too! But you do not need to get them so tight at all! I haven't had that sock problem before.

I struggle with fit because I have oddly proportioned legs - small ankles, medium calves, big thighs!

Old 11-01-2017, 01:33 PM

10,210 posts, read 16,789,489 times
I like skinny jeans. They look much better on me than baggy ones and I don’t think it has anything to do with age. I’m a size 8/10, I don’t know if I would have liked them when I was heavier.

Obviously I only wear ones that have a high enough waist band to cover me up decently, but that should be true of any and all pants!

Old 11-01-2017, 01:58 PM

I wear a size 8/10 but I have curvy legs and solid calves. So weight isnt the issue, it's the design. I don't do straight legs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty