U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 11:13 PM

571 posts, read 946,613 times

Advertisements

I know lots of people will say "wear what you want, what makes you feel comfortable."

And yes, a lot depends on your body type and knowing what looks good.

Assuming you are in tune with what suits your body, are there some clothes that are just off limits because of your age? How about labels? Are there labels that just scream too young?

Personally, I tend to wear mini skirts and cuffed shorts (both balanced by dressy blouses) because I'm petite and my legs are an asset (I'm 42). At the moment, I am toned and do not have any veins showing. Eventually, I know I'll have to ditch the shorts and perhaps wear tights with the short skirts (I love the look of a short skirt, tights and a turtleneck on older women).

So the question is, do you have any clothing items that you simply refuse to wear because of age? If your style has changed, is it because of your changing body or just because you feel older? Do you have an older style icon? As an observer, what are some of the most common mistakes women over 40 make in their style? Would love to get input from women of all ages.

Do you wear:
1) Mini skirts
2) Shorts
3) Cropped jackets
4) Mini dresses
5) Sweater dresses
6) Graphic tees
7) Skinny jeans
8) Leggings
9) Strapless tops / dresses
10) Bangle bracelets or other attention-grabbing jewelry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 05:58 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,696,560 times
1) Mini skirts - no
2) Shorts- no
3) Cropped jackets- no
4) Mini dresses- no
5) Sweater dresses- no
6) Graphic tees -yes
7) Skinny jeans- no
8) Leggings- no
9) Strapless tops / dresses -yes
10) Bangle bracelets or other attention-grabbing jewelry -yes

Old 11-29-2012, 07:20 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,443,204 times
My dressing style has not changed a whole lot since my early twenties to the present. I am pretty tall (5'10") and quite curvy (similar to...oh...Queen Latifah?). I've experimented with a lot of styles over the years and keep going back to pieces that fit best, show off my best assets, and make me feel pretty and stylish. My age hasn't really had a bearing on what I choose, it's mostly been body type and color.

Styles that look best on me are: Dark slacks and jeans (straight leg or boot cut), tunic/flowy blouses, above-the-knee skirts with dark hose or tights and a modest heel or knee-high boots, animal print fabrics that flow, v-neck or scoop neck shirts and blouses, unusual earrings (long/dangly), bangle bracelets and sometimes a striking necklace (but I mostly keep jewelry off my chest area). All of the above would be in either "autumn" colors, but depending on how I do my make-up and accessories, I can get away with some pastels and jewel tones. As for the items you list:

1) Mini skirts Not mini, but above the knee
2) Shorts YES (but not thigh baring styles)
3) Cropped jackets NO
4) Mini dresses NO
5) Sweater dresses NO
6) Graphic tees YES, but not in public (I've always disliked how I look in t-shirts)
7) Skinny jeans NO
8) Leggings YES, occasionally
9) Strapless tops / dresses NO
10) Bangle bracelets or other attention-grabbing jewelry YES most definitely

Old 11-29-2012, 07:32 AM

13,103 posts, read 17,634,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post
I know lots of people will say "wear what you want, what makes you feel comfortable."

Assuming you are in tune with what suits your body, are there some clothes that are just off limits because of your age? How about labels? Are there labels that just scream too young?

Personally, I tend to wear mini skirts and cuffed shorts (both balanced by dressy blouses) because I'm petite and my legs are an asset (I'm 42). At the moment, I am toned and do not have any veins showing. Eventually, I know I'll have to ditch the shorts and perhaps wear tights with the short skirts (I love the look of a short skirt, tights and a turtleneck on older women).

So the question is, do you have any clothing items that you simply refuse to wear because of age? If your style has changed, is it because of your changing body or just because you feel older? Do you have an older style icon? As an observer, what are some of the most common mistakes women over 40 make in their style? Would love to get input from women of all ages.

Do you wear:
1) Mini skirts
2) Shorts
3) Cropped jackets
4) Mini dresses
5) Sweater dresses
6) Graphic tees
7) Skinny jeans
8) Leggings
1.no 2. sometimes but they are longer 3.never 4. sometimes but not quite mini 5.yes I do especially in the winter 6. no 7. no I hate skinny jeans and they dont fit right 8. yes sometimes when it is really cold 9. No 10. No much more reserved with jewelry

Old 11-29-2012, 07:53 AM

7,736 posts, read 13,962,412 times

There are a number of retailers that I won't even consider because of my age. To name a few: American Eagle, Aeropostale, A&F, Hollister, VS's Pink line.

I definitely take my body and age into consideration. I don't want to look like I'm trying too hard to be youthful. I admire my neighbor across the street for her style. She always looks so effortlessly put together...even if it's just to walk the kids to the bus stop.

Do you wear:
1) Mini skirts Yes, but not too short. I'm not extremely comfortable with the back of my thighs.
2) Shorts Yes, but again not too short. See above.
3) Cropped jackets Cropped to where? I have jackets that are cropped just at or above my waist line.
4) Mini dresses I'm ok with a short dress, but I don't want my butt cheeks hanging out. I need to be able to safely sit down without exposing anything.
5) Sweater dresses Yes, preferably with some stretch in it. Big, chunky, loose fitting dress don't work on me.
6) Graphic tees Only for around the house, not so much for out and about.
7) Skinny jeans Yes...they are my wardrobe staple. They make me look thin!
8) Leggings No.
9) Strapless tops / dresses Yes, if it fits well. But in general, I find them uncomfortable even if they're flattering, so I tend not to wear them.
10) Bangle bracelets or other attention-grabbing jewelry I have a lot of accessories and still love them (I constantly peruse online stores & catalogs for pieces), but I just don't have the time to devote to "accessorizing," plus it makes it much easier when I travel just to carry a few classic pieces (diamond hoops and studs, pearls, silver hoops, gold hoops, dress watch, my standard rings.)

Old 11-29-2012, 08:37 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,739,113 times
Quote:

Do you wear:
1) Mini skirts
2) Shorts
3) Cropped jackets
4) Mini dresses
5) Sweater dresses
6) Graphic tees
7) Skinny jeans
8) Leggings
Also depends on environment. Cocktail party or work environment or PTA meeting?

Old 11-29-2012, 08:46 AM

7,099 posts, read 23,885,607 times
Looking at the list, I think your first question should be, "do you have the kind of body that looks good in these items?" It really doesn't have much to do with age. It's shape.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:05 AM

13,496 posts, read 13,968,489 times
there are also a lot of 'ages" past 40. what would look good on a 40 year old would not look good on a 60 yr. old. there will always be people dressing in clothes that don't look right on them at all ages. however at some point, there are things you shouldn't wear past an "age". pigtails come to mind, as well as too short of skirt, too high shorts. the list gets longer the older you are.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:06 AM

17,413 posts, read 18,272,289 times
Quote:

Do you wear:
1) Mini skirts
2) Shorts
3) Cropped jackets
4) Mini dresses
5) Sweater dresses
6) Graphic tees
7) Skinny jeans
8) Leggings

My mom is over 60 and has a great body. She still wears...

#2 Walking shorts
#3 But very stylish ones...not cheapo ones
#5 She looks great in sweater dresses because she is in great shape
#6 Only when she "borrows" mine
#7 She wears skinny jeans and usually pairs them with a blazer or more structured top
#9 She has a few strapless evening gowns but nothing strapless for more casual wear
#10 Yes...lots of great jewelry

Old 11-29-2012, 09:07 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,966,446 times
I'm 39 but voting anyway.

1) Mini skirts - no
2) Shorts - yes, mid-thigh length
3) Cropped jackets - no, they would look terrible
4) Mini dresses - no
5) Sweater dresses - in theory, I would, but they are all wrong for my body type
6) Graphic tees - yes
7) Skinny jeans - god no
8) Leggings - no
9) Strapless tops / dresses - no, except perhaps a swim cover-up or maxidress
10) Bangle bracelets or other attention-grabbing jewelry - no, but I was always like this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty