U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 03:50 PM

1,601 posts, read 1,715,546 times

Advertisements

See, to me Shia LaBoeuf looks dirty. Zach doesn't have neck beard - his is just thick and he's a big guy. You can still see his neck.

Have you seen Jake Gyllenhaal lately? He has the "where's your neck?" bushy neck beard look. I think it looks awful and makes men look stumpy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 06:04 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,574,424 times
Meh, men need to start doing whatever they want and need to stop listening to women for style/grooming advice. For too long women have been telling men what to wear or how to groom, then they wonder where all the "manly" rugged men went? Every guy should rock the beard once in their life.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Meh, men need to start doing whatever they want and need to stop listening to women for style/grooming advice. For too long women have been telling men what to wear or how to groom, then they wonder where all the "manly" rugged men went? Every guy should rock the beard once in their life.
Did you even read my original post?

Old 12-02-2012, 12:06 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,955,456 times
Living in Portland has inured me to so much! I had to look up 'neckbeard' just to see what OP was talking about. At that point, I realized I'd been seeing them around town for years. In Portland, it's easy to miss the milder forms of strangeness.

Shaving everything but the hair on the neck is kinda hot. But sideburns leading down to nothing but neck hair is....not hot.

On the other hand, men who shave too far up their necks look totally impotent. Chinstrap beards make men look like Eunuchs and Holyrollers, to me.

The most beautiful beard, ever, I think, was Kurt Russell's, when he starred in 'The Thing'.

I'm married to a very hairy Cajun whose beards drive me wild! Currently, he only gets to grow them during 'hunting season', and for vacations. I LOVE the fact that his beards meld into his abundant chest hair. But my favorite part is the way his beards grow right up to his cheekbones.

I keep telling him he no longer needs to follow the 'professional appearance' books. Chairmen of Boards can have big beards if they want to. If he'd grow his beard out as much as I want him to, I'd have my own private Werewolf. Yum!

Old 12-02-2012, 01:20 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,973,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
See, to me Shia LaBoeuf looks dirty. Zach doesn't have neck beard - his is just thick and he's a big guy. You can still see his neck.

Have you seen Jake Gyllenhaal lately? He has the "where's your neck?" bushy neck beard look. I think it looks awful and makes men look stumpy.
You're right, that pic of Galifianakis wasn't the best pic of his neck beard, but he does have that furry neck at times.

I liked Shia LaBoeuf in that picture, but I am a sucker for longer hair on the right face. It's very sensual. LaBoeuf has such a boyish face that the beard is a nice reminder that he's all grown up.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
You're right, that pic of Galifianakis wasn't the best pic of his neck beard, but he does have that furry neck at times.

I liked Shia LaBoeuf in that picture, but I am a sucker for longer hair on the right face. It's very sensual. LaBoeuf has such a boyish face that the beard is a nice reminder that he's all grown up.
I can't get past Even Stevens when I see him. But, did you see the movie Lawless? He'd be right up your alley in that.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:47 AM

10,664 posts, read 7,705,128 times
Unless he is stranded on a desert island, no man should have a neck beard, IMHO...

Old 12-03-2012, 05:54 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,513,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
What is with this trend? Has anyone else noticed it?

I've been noticing a lot of bearded men who either don't shave their necks when growing a beard, or just have a neck beard.

If you are a man with facial hair, do you shave your neck? Why or why not?

Ladies who like facial hair, do you find neck beard attractive? Why or why not?
I wear a full beard, but if I didn't shave my cheeks and neck I'd look like Chewbaca.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:41 AM

22,706 posts, read 21,750,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I wear a full beard, but if I didn't shave my cheeks and neck I'd look like Chewbaca.
Similarly, I had to tell my older mother that if she didn't start trimming up that she was going to look like an Ewok.

Scary neck beards:

Grandpa was also a neckbeard - Imgur

Asa Dotzler: Firefox and more: battle of the neck beards

Thoreau looks as though he needs some therapy and an antidepressant.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:43 AM

15,187 posts, read 16,039,895 times
Neck beards are awful. Hideous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty