Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 11:23 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floomer99 View Post
Like I said, I've been thinking of taking the plunge. I have a relatively big forehead, so if the barber messes up my hair line(like he did recently), I'll end up looking like I'm going bald. Money is tight and I can't afford to get a hair cut every two to four weeks, so shaving it at that frequency makes some sense. What do you think?

I was about to say its a lot easier than bothering with always getting lined up.

You are probably going to want to get some stuff to prevent bumps and learn the right technique to shave your head so your scalp isn't irritated.

How To Shave Yourself Correctly, Especially For Black Men - YouTube

I would start with shaving it and letting it grow back a bit and just keep your lines clean while your scalp adjusts to shaving. Trying to keep it clean everyday or very often at first can be a bit harsh.

I love the shaved look on dark skin. I have yet to see it look bad on a black dude.

You will want to get a hat if you don't have one already(shaved head can make you cold). Make sure its loose fitting and you wash it after wearing to avoid breakouts from a dirty hat. Fresh razor every time also helps avoid breakouts. Let the blade do the work. DO NOT apply pressure. You may want some help for the base of your head in the back. Its easy to cut yourself there with all the curves and creases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 11:42 AM

2,250 posts, read 1,395,663 times
Go ahead and shave it. You keep it short anyways and if you don't like it, the hair will grow back.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:45 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
I am an older guy (66 last b'day). I ride a motorcycle and during the hot summer months I shave my head to bare skin. We have a mandatory motorcycle helmet law in my state so on those unbearably hot days the shaved head helps cool me off. A big plus for me since I am a penny pinching old phart is I save a ton on barber bills. At my age the ladies don't give a hoot about appearances. If you can breath you are lucky.

GL2

Old 12-04-2012, 11:53 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post

I would start with shaving it and letting it grow back a bit and just keep your lines clean while your scalp adjusts to shaving. Trying to keep it clean everyday or very often at first can be a bit harsh.

I love the shaved look on dark skin. I have yet to see it look bad on a black dude.

You will want to get a hat if you don't have one already(shaved head can make you cold). Make sure its loose fitting and you wash it after wearing to avoid breakouts from a dirty hat. Fresh razor every time also helps avoid breakouts. Let the blade do the work. DO NOT apply pressure. You may want some help for the base of your head in the back. Its easy to cut yourself there with all the curves and creases.
When I started shaving, I used an electric razor on a daily basis for a few months. That helped with the transition. But it took me a lot longer to shave than with a blade. When I switched to a blade there were a few cuts until I got the technique down and my scalp got used to shaving-just like with my face.

For me a fresh blade each time isn't necessary, but I avoid using a worn out blade. I do recommend letting the shave cream sit for 10 or 15 seconds before shaving until you scalp gets used to being shaved. Since the noting of race has been brought up I am white-if it matters.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:05 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
I prefer shaved/buzzed hair on men. Its a very masculine look.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:13 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
I guess I'll be the voice of dissention, as I don't like shaved heads, and honestly don't understand why they've become so popular in the past few years.

But if it's something you're comfortable with and want to do -- go for it!

Second voice of dissent here!

I must admit I hate shaved heads or buzz cuts, possibly because I associate it with Neo Nazis, and Soccer Hooligans... I like men with thick silky hair , I suppose because I adore running my fingers through their hair ! I find longer hair on men really sexy, well those it suits anyway and if it is well cut and properly conditioned. No mullets !!

Hair grows back though so for a man I don't think it matters too much , if you hate it it does not take too long to be back to its former glory.

I suspect the appeal of it will vary a lot depending in the shape of the head and shape of the face too.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:29 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Try it and see how you feel with no hair. Some people look great with a shaved head and others... not so much. Just a few days ago, I saw a guy at the take out place with the most beautifully shaped skull I've ever seen. I couldn't stop staring at his head. If bald doesn't work for you, buy a trimmer or a Flowbee and keep it really short.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:29 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,428,702 times
Shave it !
Shaved heads show a man has self confidence and is comfortable with his body, both great qualities.

hubby has a van dyke and shaves his head ... mmm mmm MMMmmmmm

Old 12-06-2012, 07:54 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
I guess I'll be the voice of dissention, as I don't like shaved heads, and honestly don't understand why they've become so popular in the past few years.

But if it's something you're comfortable with and want to do -- go for it!
The reason they have become popular over the last few years should be obvious. Men that are thinning and balding look better with a fully shaved head, (such as myself). Instead of trying desperatley to make what ever hair the man has left look like more, which it never will, it is easier to just shave it off.

Now that there are millions of shaved headed men around and the public is used to looking at it, it is just like having another type of hairstyle, (minus the hair).

It is not like back in the 60's when the only 2 men that I know of that had shaved heads was "Telly Savalas" and "Mr. Clean"...it was unusual to see men back then with shaved heads.

Fortuneteley now it is so common place to see this look, any stigmitism that was associated with a shaved head in a deraguatory way, has been long forgotten about.

Shave heads will never ever go out of style because there will always be thinning and balding men, until the Earth blows up.

...and even if there ever becomes a cure for baldness, I for one am not doing it.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:15 PM

69 posts, read 136,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
The reason they have become popular over the last few years should be obvious. Men that are thinning and balding look better with a fully shaved head, (such as myself). Instead of trying desperatley to make what ever hair the man has left look like more, which it never will, it is easier to just shave it off.

Now that there are millions of shaved headed men around and the public is used to looking at it, it is just like having another type of hairstyle, (minus the hair).

It is not like back in the 60's when the only 2 men that I know of that had shaved heads was "Telly Savalas" and "Mr. Clean"...it was unusual to see men back then with shaved heads.

Fortuneteley now it is so common place to see this look, any stigmitism that was associated with a shaved head in a deraguatory way, has been long forgotten about.

Shave heads will never ever go out of style because there will always be thinning and balding men, until the Earth blows up.

...and even if there ever becomes a cure for baldness, I for one am not doing it.
You bring up an interesting point. A lot of baldness "cures" are not cures at all. Actually, they have a lot of really bad side effects--including sexual side effects. I think I would prefer baldness to impotence. I'm not going bald however(at least I don't think I am), and I already cut my hair the lowest it can go. I think that I am going to try it once and see how I like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty