U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 04:56 AM

2,612 posts, read 4,596,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Forgive me if I am duplicating another thread! I am a female and I never really gave it much thought to what the brand of my purse or handbag was UNTIL, my secretary one day made a comment. We had someone come in to our office with a Coach Handbag and she had a bad debt with our office. The secretary really made a big deal out of that fact that the other woman had a Coach! The secretary would love to own one, but couldn't afford one. Lucky for her, I was at a yard sale in a fancy neighborhood and picked her up a lovely one for barely any change. Now she owns a Coach. Then, another day, someone came in to the office and was complaining that his wife just had to buy another Coach handbag! So, I guess I am wondering what is the obsession and is there a difference in brands?!
It's because they are super-expensive. Many people think of them as an investment. However, a lot of them are actually just knock-offs from China. A real Coach bag is pretty expensive, but they are actually kind of the cheapest of the expensive bags. A lot of people pay 500-1000+ for a good bag. The best of them can also be sold later for a lot of money, so the investment aspect is real. But I also see a lot of people carrying really ugly coach and luis vuitton bags and I think it's just for the name - they aren't actually adding anything of style value to their outfits. I think it's more of a status symbol than anything else. If you have great style sense, then the bag can make a huge difference in a look. And a cheap-looking bag can ruin a look, so there is definitely something to it. But carrying it just for the name is silly. I don't own any leather bags (vegetarian), but I get a lot of compliments on my Sherpani bags. They are canvas and usually cost under 100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 05:53 AM

4,763 posts, read 7,553,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
Most women consider handbags a status symbol. It may not be the case for a lot of people (like me), but usually when you glance at a woman, the first thing you notice is what handbag she's sporting .
Really? I have a hard time believing this. I've never in my life paid any attention to what purse other women are carrying. I work with a lot of terrific women, and I couldn't tell you so much as one detail about what kind of puse they carry. So, basically, women carry certain handbags to impress other women?

People impress, not handbags.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:06 PM

10,870 posts, read 18,953,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
The last bag I bought was a Perlina--on sale at Marshalls.
I have a Perlina bag that I've had for probably 7 or 8 years. I don't use it all the time, but it's one of my favorites because it's just the right size to hold what I need and it's so cute.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:35 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,469,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Good bags will last 30 yrs or more. Some prefer a timeless style and opt for them. Some prefer trendy and won't pay ir don't like the classic styles.
My wife inherited one of her Louis Vuitton bags from her grandmother who purchased it in NYC in the early sixties.
She still carries this particular bag at least twice a month.
Her grandmother then her mother carried it regularly throughout their lives.

It still looks great with no known repairs made.

Not too bad for a 50 year old handbag.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:10 PM

1,411 posts, read 2,005,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
My wife inherited one of her Louis Vuitton bags from her grandmother who purchased it in NYC in the early sixties.
She still carries this particular bag at least twice a month.
Her grandmother then her mother carried it regularly throughout their lives.

It still looks great with no known repairs made.

Not too bad for a 50 year old handbag.
That's the sort of item that will go up in value, due to its name, vintage appeal (especially for 60s stuff), and that it was probably made by French craftsmen (modern entry-level LV stuff would be of Asian manufacture).

I think handbags are to women what watches and cars are for men: a way of announcing one's class, taste, and wealth (the three overlap, but ultimately are exclusive). The same handbag will not get the same reaction from people of every level of those 3 categories. Using the bag that Julian's wife owns as an example, that vintage LV wouldn't even register with the typical middle class consumer, but LV brand die-hards would drool over it, while it would garner a nod of approval from old money and old-guard preps. However, "high rollers" with exhibitionist tastes would likely roll their eyes and possibly wonder (aloud) why Mrs Julian couldn't/wouldn't buy a new bag.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
That's the sort of item that will go up in value, due to its name, vintage appeal (especially for 60s stuff), and that it was probably made by French craftsmen (modern entry-level LV stuff would be of Asian manufacture).

I think handbags are to women what watches and cars are for men: a way of announcing one's class, taste, and wealth (the three overlap, but ultimately are exclusive). The same handbag will not get the same reaction from people of every level of those 3 categories. Using the bag that Julian's wife owns as an example, that vintage LV wouldn't even register with the typical middle class consumer, but LV brand die-hards would drool over it, while it would garner a nod of approval from old money and old-guard preps. However, "high rollers" with exhibitionist tastes would likely roll their eyes and possibly wonder (aloud) why Mrs Julian couldn't/wouldn't buy a new bag.
I agree with your posts to the exception of Louis Vuitton being made in Asia.

The Louis Vuitton Boutique in King Of Prussia PA where we purchased our Louis Vuitton luggage have told us that LV is only made and will only be made in one of three places. France, Spain and the United States.
They are hand made and not by machine.

I sure as hell would not pay 9000.00 for luggage that was made in Asia IE China.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:51 PM

10,737 posts, read 19,101,270 times
Get a purse you like, don't spend too much money (don't go too cheap either) - they are all made in China these days I think, all have lower quality than "the good old days"

Old 12-11-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Get a purse you like, don't spend too much money (don't go too cheap either) - they are all made in China these days I think, all have lower quality than "the good old days"

Like I said in my earlier post, Louis Vuitton will never be made outside of the three locations that they have factories in; France, Spain, U.S.

They are hand made without the aid of machine. You will also never see a " flawed " or factory second ever sold. They are destroyed at the source.

You will never see an outlet store for Louis Vuitton and because of Louis Vuitton's strangle hold on their retail sales you will never see a Louis Vuitton product sold at a brick and morter store that isn't a Louis Vuitton boutique.

Someone that I addressed earlier concerning LV said that their are entry level bags at LV.

What do you consider entry level?

Last year I purchased a Louis Vuitton Speedy 40 for my wife at 1400.00.

The smallest of this series is the Speedy 25 at approx 550.00.

If you have never held a Louis Vuitton bag I invite you to do so, the superior quality and hand tooled workmanship will be immediately apparent.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:25 AM

4,228 posts, read 4,574,075 times
I enjoy more of middle range price handbags like Guess, Vera Wang and Prada. I really don't like the look of Coach purses. I think people just wear them because of the name.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:29 AM

7,736 posts, read 13,985,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Like I said in my earlier post, Louis Vuitton will never be made outside of the three locations that they have factories in; France, Spain, U.S.

They are hand made without the aid of machine. You will also never see a " flawed " or factory second ever sold. They are destroyed at the source.

You will never see an outlet store for Louis Vuitton and because of Louis Vuitton's strangle hold on their retail sales you will never see a Louis Vuitton product sold at a brick and morter store that isn't a Louis Vuitton boutique.

Someone that I addressed earlier concerning LV said that their are entry level bags at LV.

What do you consider entry level?

Last year I purchased a Louis Vuitton Speedy 40 for my wife at 1400.00.

The smallest of this series is the Speedy 25 at approx 550.00.

If you have never held a Louis Vuitton bag I invite you to do so, the superior quality and hand tooled workmanship will be immediately apparent.

Personally, I think the problem with a lot of the LV merchandise (the canvas lines) is that the products are mass produced (aka mass luxury), regardless how, and the name has been diluted because of knock offs. LVMH is doing everything they can to bring themselves up to the level of Hermes (including false advertising, which was pulled ) and by inflating their prices.

And yeah, LV could be considered entry level because Speedys and some of their canvas totes are what many women purchase first because it's so identifiable to the masses. Kinda' of like many of Coach's bags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty