U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 01:44 PM

12,447 posts, read 14,582,889 times

Advertisements

nappy666, be assured that you look NOTHING like a man...just a beautiful young woman...anyone says different are just jealous of your good looks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 01:54 PM

19,643 posts, read 53,556,179 times
You have a square chin and no visible breasts in that photo. Get better fitting clothes, wear a push-up bra if necessary, and go to a good salon and tell the stylist you want to minimize your chin. You need a new hair style. Sorry but you did ask!

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:02 PM

449 posts, read 704,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
You have a square chin and no visible breasts in that photo. Get better fitting clothes, wear a push-up bra if necessary, and go to a good salon and tell the stylist you want to minimize your chin. You need a new hair style. Sorry but you did ask!
I would add to this: different eyeglass frames and doing some research online with the search words "femininity, dressing feminine, etc.." You will find all you need.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:12 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,056,033 times
I don't think you look like a man, just ignore the people who say that. But, you do look older. It is not your face making you look older, it is your clothes. I'm 23 and I have that problem of looking older if I wear certain styles and patterns. Since I am short (just like you in your profile) I try to stay away from clothes that are too baggy and add too much bulk to my upper body. Your sweater is nice, it just should be a size or two smaller. But really, I don't see anything wrong with you.

*edit* I really don't see anything wrong with your hair in that pic either. You could add layers or have it laying to the side a bit for some extra oompf, but you're really not ugly or anything.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:30 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,448,087 times
I suggest picking a style icon, real or fictional, and trying to emulate their style. I'm watching New Girl with Zooey Deschanel and she fits girly and feminine really well (in appearance, anyway).

Old 12-05-2012, 05:45 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,294,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
Get yourself some contacts or some trendy lighter colored frames you're in L.A. go to one of those Galleria stores and get fitted for another pair or some colored contacts. And..in the picture, you're still dressed kind of preppy or unisex. Slightly formfitting clothes in soft colors and fabrics are feminine, as is delicate jewelry and well manicured nails. When in doubt, hi thee hither to one of the mall stores like Nordstrom's and ask for some advice in the clothing department and the makeup department.
I was going to suggest this as well.

Also, you need to take a weed wacker to your eyebrows. Have them shaped. Perhaps try having them threaded. It will open up your face a bit more. Heavy brows are very masculine.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:04 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,600,939 times
The picture of you standing by the tree is not very flattering. Something about your expression is off-putting and looks aggressive.

You've been given good suggestions about ways to make yourself look more feminine.
Have you tried straightening your hair?
Go to a makeup counter and get a free makeover. Take note of the tips you're shown.
Wear clothes that flatter your figure, lose the boxy clothes.

Good luck!

Old 12-05-2012, 06:44 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,446,039 times
Lots of good advice here. I agree with all of it. I notice you are 4'11--a small little lady! One of my best friends is also this height--and she really knows how to dress up and make the most of her small frame. Here are a few of her tricks:

- Wear shirts/tops that are above your hips, or tucked in. The long holiday sweater in the photo is too big for you & gives you a matronly look (not mannish). It makes you look older than you are; it screams, "I'm 50! (not 25)"
- Shimmery fabrics in jewel tones would look awesome on you. Get a royal blue or emerald green shimmery blouse that is lower cut around the neckline (don't forget to have it sit above your hips or tuck it in). And, yes---a good bra is essential.
- Get some good fitting jeans--not baggy (a little on the tighter side) and pair them with some medium to high heel shoes or boots.
- Pull your hair off your face and get some stylish earrings (dangly or hoops), a couple of fun bangle bracelets, and a good manicure/nail job.
- Play up only one part of your face with makeup. If you like bold eyes, go soft on the lips. If you like bold lips, be more conservative with the eyes.
- Accentuate your legs to create the perception of height/long legs. Again, the tighter fitting jeans and a bit of a heel do this. If you wear a skirt or dress, make sure it's above the kneecaps (don't wear long skirts).
- Wear a little dab of perfume (not a lot)---and then go out and show off your new look!

Good luck! It would be neat if you posted some "after" pics (if you decide to follow any of the good advice posted so far...).

Old 12-05-2012, 08:12 PM

2,898 posts, read 4,959,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I suggest picking a style icon, real or fictional, and trying to emulate their style.
Wonderful advice, UE. I was a TV/film stylist for many years & used to suggest that people find someone they looked similar to and/or would like to emulate when getting hair cut, a make-over or whenever in front of the camera... the latter works well for the camera shy. If we focus on how our favorite celeb smiles, we're less likely to have that awkward, caught in the headlights half-smile. Of course, being realistic helps for all of us. I recall an elderly woman who whipped off an old wig, had very fine, fragile, short hair & was carrying a pic of Farrah Fawcett with her lion's mane. Today, no problem to duplicate that look with such fragile hair... but, these were pre-extension days.

Another thing I encouraged others to do was to practice makeup. If you do have a makeup artist work on your face & you like it, ensure you snap pics of it... from the front & sides, so you can practice once home. Have the makeup artist snap pics with your cellphone before you leave. Spend 20-min/day practicing. There are even professional videos put out by excellent makeup artists who show how to do day/office makeup.

In a lot of cases, a lighter hand is better... meaning, not too much color (tire track blush), not too dark (heavy eyeshadow/liner) or not too thick (foundation). Think Pam Anderson's makeup (often showgirl & theatrical) vs Gwyneth Paltrow's (subtle & subdued). Neither is wrong in the appropriate place, but not many of us can go to work with the showgirl look.

Feminine dressing differs in definition from 1 to the other. I'm wondering what you are referring to as feminine? Perhaps what you're doing is feminine, but it's not your most flattering style? I once worked with a girl who had a similar look to you. She wore those Holly Hobby dresses from the 70s... big puffy sleeves, cowgirl-type bellowing skirts, big loopy bows in the back. Some might call that feminine, but that style looks cute & girly on little girls & not really adults.

I'm wondering if you're over-compensating & have one image of what's feminine? Clean lines might be best for you (Calvin Klein's style), so that you're noticed more than frilly dresses or wildly patterned tops or nylons (think Versace). I think you'd look great in long skirts/trousers with the same colored sweater/blouse, form-fitting (not too tight or too baggy). Match nylons/socks to shoes as it gives a longer line.

Have you thought of wearing your hair up/back in a soft, flowing style? Subtle highlights (dark brown/medium brown)?

You have a lovely smile, seem like an affectionate, approachable woman & just need a bit of direction. If you're not able to figure out that which flatters you most, peruse magazines/websites for simpler styles, neutral colors, cleaner leaner lines or perhaps visit a store with clothing you like & ask that someone help you in creating your own style. Use your judgment... don't forget that salespeople may tell you it's wonderful to get you to buy. First & foremost, have an idea of what image you'd like to project, as UE suggested here.

Here are some simpler styles (by simple, I don't mean unattractive, so don't be offended, I mean that the dress is flattering, but doesn't overpower the girl) by Calvin Klein.

Dresses - Calvin Klein Women's Apparel and Shoes | Nordstrom

Anne Klein has nice, straight lines, as well. Look down through the few splashier dresses for the look I'm trying to highlight:

Anne Klein: Dresses

And, by the way, who can afford retail of designer styles? You can find resale/consignment shops who carry reasonably priced designer dresses/suits. Outlet stores might have some, as well.

Best of luck, experiment & have fun working on your new style! I'm sure you'll do fine! Oh, & take everything I said with a grain of salt... do what feels & looks best to you!

Old 12-07-2012, 11:28 AM

548 posts, read 772,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Are you really 25? You look much older, perhaps it's the way you're dressed in the picture. If you normally wear feminine clothes and make-up there's not much more you can do to look "girly". Some people are just mean and like to put others down, it's best to just ignore them (especially if they're trolls on the internet)
Yes I am 25 and yes I have tried ignoring them but they keep coming back no matter the website I pop onto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty