U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 11:30 AM

548 posts, read 771,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
You have a square chin and no visible breasts in that photo. Get better fitting clothes, wear a push-up bra if necessary, and go to a good salon and tell the stylist you want to minimize your chin. You need a new hair style. Sorry but you did ask!
I recently cut my hair about a month ago I'm not going to cut it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
I don't think you look like a man, just ignore the people who say that. But, you do look older. It is not your face making you look older, it is your clothes. I'm 23 and I have that problem of looking older if I wear certain styles and patterns. Since I am short (just like you in your profile) I try to stay away from clothes that are too baggy and add too much bulk to my upper body. Your sweater is nice, it just should be a size or two smaller. But really, I don't see anything wrong with you.

*edit* I really don't see anything wrong with your hair in that pic either. You could add layers or have it laying to the side a bit for some extra oompf, but you're really not ugly or anything.
Yeah I know the sweater is big its an old one and I was just wearing it for some holiday pics.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I was going to suggest this as well.

Also, you need to take a weed wacker to your eyebrows. Have them shaped. Perhaps try having them threaded. It will open up your face a bit more. Heavy brows are very masculine.
Yeah I need to get them done but mom complained about me even asking her to get them done so who knows when we will get ours done we always go to the salon place together.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikake View Post
The picture of you standing by the tree is not very flattering. Something about your expression is off-putting and looks aggressive.

You've been given good suggestions about ways to make yourself look more feminine.
Have you tried straightening your hair?
Go to a makeup counter and get a free makeover. Take note of the tips you're shown.
Wear clothes that flatter your figure, lose the boxy clothes.

Good luck!
Why the heck would I straighten my hair when my hair is already straight?

Old 12-07-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
Lots of good advice here. I agree with all of it. I notice you are 4'11--a small little lady! One of my best friends is also this height--and she really knows how to dress up and make the most of her small frame. Here are a few of her tricks:

- Wear shirts/tops that are above your hips, or tucked in. The long holiday sweater in the photo is too big for you & gives you a matronly look (not mannish). It makes you look older than you are; it screams, "I'm 50! (not 25)"
- Shimmery fabrics in jewel tones would look awesome on you. Get a royal blue or emerald green shimmery blouse that is lower cut around the neckline (don't forget to have it sit above your hips or tuck it in). And, yes---a good bra is essential.
- Get some good fitting jeans--not baggy (a little on the tighter side) and pair them with some medium to high heel shoes or boots.
- Pull your hair off your face and get some stylish earrings (dangly or hoops), a couple of fun bangle bracelets, and a good manicure/nail job.
- Play up only one part of your face with makeup. If you like bold eyes, go soft on the lips. If you like bold lips, be more conservative with the eyes.
- Accentuate your legs to create the perception of height/long legs. Again, the tighter fitting jeans and a bit of a heel do this. If you wear a skirt or dress, make sure it's above the kneecaps (don't wear long skirts).
- Wear a little dab of perfume (not a lot)---and then go out and show off your new look!

Good luck! It would be neat if you posted some "after" pics (if you decide to follow any of the good advice posted so far...).
I don't see why I need to follow any of this advice I have seen other girls wear band tshirts and skinny jeans with hair in their faces and no earrings etc. And yet they look good.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:47 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,440,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
I don't see why I need to follow any of this advice I have seen other girls wear band tshirts and skinny jeans with hair in their faces and no earrings etc. And yet they look good.

You think those girls look good?!

Old 12-07-2012, 12:05 PM

5,412 posts, read 8,277,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Wonderful advice, UE. I was a TV/film stylist for many years & used to suggest that people find someone they looked similar to and/or would like to emulate when getting hair cut, a make-over or whenever in front of the camera...
Lots of good advice in this post.... especially about emulating a personality/style you like.... Just off the top of my head - I think the OP could emulate a young Meg Tilly (don't know why I thought of her - just saw an old movie with her though).

P1 Actress Pictures @ JSR Pages

She has similar features, coloring, casual fashion/makeup style. Meg Tilly doesn't seem to dress too "girly" but still comes across as an attractive woman IMO.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:35 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
The pictures you posted are girls doing the "scene" look. That look takes a lot of work, it's not just pictures of girls with their hair in their faces and no earrings, it's girs who've spent a few hours putting that look together. It's also a look more for younger teenagers, that look won't be a great style for you. Look for "scene hair" and "scene makeup" tutorials on youtube to see how much work they put into it, if you're curious.

You can pluck your own eyebrows, it takes about ten minutes, a mirror and a pair of tweezers. Just don't overdo it, they don't always grow back in.

You should part your hair a little closer to the center of your face, but not in the absolute middle, so that you have bangs on either side of your face to soften your look. The reason someone suggested using a straightener is not because your hair needs to be straighter but because you can use the straightener to move the hair in the direction you want it to be going and it will stay that way. So you can style it without cutting more of it. Some big hot rollers would also help, to give your hair some volume up near the top.

What your pictures really remind me of are the "before" characters in those teen movies, where they take a pretty girl and dress her in unflattering clothes, put a pair of thick eyeglasses on her, and style her hair so it just looks like she runs a brush through it and that's all...then toward the end of the movie, she gets a makeover from someone and a pretty outfit and nice hairstyle, and everyone is shocked that she's so gorgeous. You have a lot of potential, you just haven't figured out exactly what works for you yet.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:38 PM

3,592 posts, read 4,511,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Lots of good advice in this post.... especially about emulating a personality/style you like.... Just off the top of my head - I think the OP could emulate a young Meg Tilly (don't know why I thought of her - just saw an old movie with her though).

P1 Actress Pictures @ JSR Pages

She has similar features, coloring, casual fashion/makeup style. Meg Tilly doesn't seem to dress too "girly" but still comes across as an attractive woman IMO.
You seem to lean toward the sporty fashion type. A short gamine cut can look really feminine (without being (frou-frou) if you have the right features for it, and it would take the long bangs out of your eyes. If you applied to be a participant on TLC Channel's "What Not To Wear" the makeover team would make you throw that sweater away, though.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:24 PM

5,412 posts, read 8,277,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
You seem to lean toward the sporty fashion type. A short gamine cut can look really feminine (without being (frou-frou) if you have the right features for it, and it would take the long bangs out of your eyes. If you applied to be a participant on TLC Channel's "What Not To Wear" the makeover team would make you throw that sweater away, though.

Why did you quote my post? I am not the sporty fashion type (more girly myself). I do think the OP can pull off that sporty look though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty