U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 12:51 PM

26,871 posts, read 28,145,186 times

Advertisements

I really love this blog, about body image.

A post from this week talks about the near inevitability of cellulite, with a healthy message:
80% of women have it, so just get over it.

Cellulite, Rimples and Dimples: A Beautiful Reality Check | BEAUTY REDEFINED

Most evidence shows, the "cures" do nothing to get rid of it. It has little relationship to body fat percentage. So instead of "freaking" out when you are afflicted with something so common, think of it as a female badge of honor instead of a curse.

This is a message I can 100% get behind. If "perfect" celebrities and swimsuit models have it, it can't be that uncommon.

Quote:
Even though cellulite is sure to remain headline news for media and beauty industries, let’s make sure it is no longer headline news in our own lives. Don’t let your own dimples (or wrinkles, gray hair, sagging skin, stretchmarks, insufficient lashes, unslightly armpits, or whatever else they come up with) hold you back from living a full and active and awesome life. Don’t let profit-driven media convince you that those body characteristics are shameful, gross, or anything other than 100% normal, healthy, and part of a truly beautiful reality. Let’s redefine beauty for ourselves by making it more inclusive of reality — warts, er…dimples, and all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 01:03 PM

1,699 posts, read 3,372,586 times
Beauty Redefined is such an awesome site / movement!

I love the old Rubens style paintings that celebrate cellulite! Imagine how much more comfortable women would feel about their bodies if those were the images that surrounded us today.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:08 PM

26,871 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
Beauty Redefined is such an awesome site / movement!

I love the old Rubens style paintings that celebrate cellulite! Imagine how much more comfortable women would feel about their bodies if those were the images that surrounded us today.
I'd like to see a wide range of images portrayed as "OK."

The problem is we only get one type at a time. Sometimes it is Kate Moss in the heroine chic days. Or Pamela Anderson in the Baywatch days. The next day it is J.Lo or Beyonce. Or Kate Upton. Then the week after it is Kim Kardashian. Or Cameron Diaz. Or Christina Hendricks. Or Madonna. Whoever is the flavor of the moment. I'd like to se 31 diverse flavors all the time. Something much more inclusive than we have right now.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:22 PM

1,699 posts, read 3,372,586 times
I know what you're saying. I'd prefer to see less emphasis on "beauty" and more focus on intellect, kindness, creativity, etc. I guess that wish is as unrealistic as the photo-shopped, airbrushed images we have forced down our throats all day every day.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:34 PM

10,542 posts, read 4,676,858 times
Thanks for the link-I couldn't make it work directly-it went to a "page not found 404 error". Don't know why, because I did search for the site itself, then found the specific piece to which you provided link, and it's the same (glad it was still there, I worried that it had been disappeared before I'd get chance to read it). Go figure Anyway...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I'd like to see a wide range of images portrayed as "OK."

The problem is we only get one type at a time.
Exactly-so that we're left alienated from ourselves, chasing from one narrow & unrealistic "aspirational exemplar" to another, believing we all need to buy a particular manufacturer's clothing, cosmetics, and/or bodily-modification plan, in order to be seen as acceptable/attractive, "good enough". As if we can purchase "perfectibility" (of the external sort, at least)
It's a race to the bottom, with the self-perpetuating myth that the skinniest woman "wins". Technology makes it all the easier to fool our eyes into thinking "really, she is *that* thin/youthful/flat/firm ?".
Rarely is it revealed that "no, actually this person's body is *not* how it appears on the glossy page" (kinda' like the difference between a sensationalized distorted headline splashed all over the cover vs. a retraction/clarification of said headline, which is tucked on a back page's bottom corner in small print).

Excerpts from Jaclyn Friedman's "What You Really Really Want", 2011:
Quote:
pg.29: "Whatever the medium, one of the most popular ways of trying to sell us stuff is by presenting impossibly narrow and idealized representations of women."
Quote:
pg.87: "We rely on body shape and size far too much when deciding who's sexy and who's sexual."
Jessica Valenti's "Full Frontal Feminism" & Joan Jacob Brumberg's "The Body Project" are a couple more great books in this vein, but I could go on listing related titles & authors for far too long...

Edited to include excerpt (italics added by me) from "This is How: Help for the Self Proven Aid in Overcoming Shyness, Molestation, Fatness, Spinsterhood, Grief, Disease, Lushery, Decrepitude & More. For Young and Old Alike." by Augusten Burroughs, 2012.
Quote:
pg.44: “If reaching “thin” were effortless or even attainable with ordinary hard work, there would be no 60 billion dollar industry.”
"When something is worth 60 billion dollars, that tells you that almost nobody can have it, whatever it is."

Old 12-09-2012, 04:08 PM

1,601 posts, read 1,715,546 times
This is excellent!

Like the author, I do actually get really happy when I see famous people looking normal - maybe not so much on the cover of tabloids, but in general.

I'm glad you posted this, jade! The mass marketing of making people feel ashamed of their bodies is out of control, so anything that serves to undo this is an A+ to me. Also, I learned about a new site today!

Old 12-09-2012, 05:46 PM

14,072 posts, read 20,140,553 times
I'm skinny and I still have cellulite. Not a ton but you can see it. My mother and sister have it. It's just genetic and I just have to deal with it and I wear clothes that show I don't care anyways..

Old 12-11-2012, 05:21 PM

7,371 posts, read 12,316,596 times
cellulite isn't attractive at all. yes some people have it at a healthy weight, but it is still highly unattractive.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:47 PM

5,145 posts, read 10,423,450 times
ehhhhhhhhhhhhh...

had it

lost it

Ill accept that

you do whatever it is you do.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:22 AM

28,168 posts, read 43,452,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
cellulite isn't attractive at all. yes some people have it at a healthy weight, but it is still highly unattractive.

Who cares if you find it attractive? The whole point is to OWN & live with it, whether it is attractive or not... lots of physical traits aren't attractive, but if it's something you can't change, own it proudly! I find confidence to be very sexy, don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty