U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 09:24 AM

11,772 posts, read 15,792,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Why do people get so offended about the thought of Aging?
It's a refusal to grow up by some. These people are so self-centered and jealous of youth that they simply don't age well. They go kicking and screaming out the back door of life while they annoyingly try, and accept, anything to appear young. These people are like a shiny old car with a tired old engine, i.e., they function okay but with obvious peculiarities from their own youth.

We are born, we age, we die. In between those times, we are loved, we are hated, we are taxed and things change. Life is complex but it is not rocket science to those who are not offended by the thought of aging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 07:03 AM

51,224 posts, read 50,499,962 times
I dunno. Watched the 12.12.12 concert last night, and it doesn't seem to both Mick at all!

Old 12-13-2012, 07:19 AM

1,459 posts, read 2,120,147 times
If your tastes don't evolve, then you will be stunted as a person. Because for a healthy, maturing person, your tastes change in two ways:

1) what you see with your eyes reduces in importance, moderated to be just one element of a person's overall attractiveness (at the same time, all of their other qualities become more important.)

2) your actual window of what is "hot" shifts. No, I'm not claiming that suddenly 55 year olds magically become as hot to you as 25 year olds. But the upper range of what is sexy does go up, even as the 19 year olds start looking like petty little girls.

Hugh Heffner is so far outside of the normal range of human development and behavior that it is meaningless to discuss him.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:22 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
It's crazy, I'm not just talking about on this site(even though its prevalent here). We all age and that's a part of life but people get angry when you say or even insist that. Both males and females. Like how dare you say I'm not going to look as good at 45 then I do now at 23. It's kind of sad in away. I'm a fairly attractive 25 year old man who pulls good looking 19-27 year olds but I'm not stupid enough to think that when I'm 55 I will

A.look as good physically
B.will be able to get the same women in that age bracket.

It's highly unlikely, But I accept that. To use a sports metaphor I'm not going to be Michael jordan(when he was 40 and playin on the wizards) and think he's still as good as he was at 25.

And speaking of MJ, when met with a young 22 year old Kobe Bryant this happened

Kobe Bryant 42 points at half vs Jordan (55 total) 2002-03 - YouTube
interesting and excellant posting..Yes, we all do age and some more gracefully than others. If we keep this in mind, don't try to look and dress like we are 30 when we are 60 we can be just as attractive as years before, just in a different way.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:34 AM

151 posts, read 146,736 times
[quote=BradPiff;27309514]
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post

Um.. we'll see. I don't see this changing though, as I said Before I don't think ill be able to pull the same women. Ill still be attracted to them, but most likely won't have a chance. Hugh Hefnar dates women in that age range but that's mostly because he's Hugh Hefnar and he can. Myself, like many men at the age(or when we get there) won't have that same luxury. I don't think dating women in a range I'm not generally attracted to because I can't get the ones I really want counts as evolving my preferences. That's settling
You just don't know how you gonna think when you're 55.

I'm in my thirties and people started looking younger and younger as I age. When I see good looking 20 year olds, I see them like beautiful flowers, like beautiful master pieces but I am not attracted to them because they look like my children and behave like so. You cannot just relate to younger people the same way.

Since I'm not in my fifties, I don't know how I'm gonna think in the future. Maybe the 30 year old will look like babies and master pieces also and I might find older peope attractive, I don't know.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:42 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,789,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where is W? View Post

You just don't know how you gonna think when you're 55.

I'm in my thirties and people started looking younger and younger as I age. When I see good looking 20 year olds, I see them like beautiful flowers, like beautiful master pieces but I am not attracted to them because they look like my children and behave like so. You cannot just relate to younger people the same way.

Since I'm not in my fifties, I don't know how I'm gonna think in the future. Maybe the 30 year old will look like babies and master pieces also and I might find older peope attractive, I don't know.
This is exactly how I feel. I was recently at a volleyball game with my family and the men's swim team decided to show up in their speedos to cheer the ladies team on. While they were all VERY good looking kids....that's what they were to me... kids. They were my little brothers age, and looked like children to me even though they were between the ages of 18 and 23 or so. I'm 29 and I don't think I could date a 21 year old kid.

I went on a lunch date with a 24 year old yesterday and even he struck me as being a bit too young...so we'll see how that goes

Old 12-15-2012, 08:52 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,613,675 times
My "aging" concerns are reserved for my health, and not my looks. I have some laugh lines around my eyes, doesn't bother me a bit. However, the drooping eyelids that make me squint all the time -does- bother me, because it's not merely an appearance issue. Squinting all the time gives me headaches, and eye strain. I have the beginnings of "jowls" (just a little skin on the sides of my chin that are a little loose, nothing dramatic, they disappear completely when I smile) that I never had when I was younger - it'd be great if I didn't have them, but it's not a "concern" to me.

So that's my personal perspective on "aging." I think what a lot of people are concerned with - is that the physical signs of aging are a visual reminder that they are in the process of dying. And visual reminders that you are in the process of dying, can be disconcerting when you look in the mirror. I don't think it's even necessarily a conscious thing.

You don't look in the mirror, see a new grey hair and say "OMGWTF I AM DYING."

But the underlying concern, is that age = death. There's no guarantee that you'll be hit by a car when you're 20. But there is a guarantee that you won't live to be 200 years old. And the closer you get to 200, the more likely you are to die of old age. The more you look like you're getting closer to 200, the more of a reminder you have, of this fact.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:50 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,423,450 times
Because age in peoples minds not only = death...but if you don't take care of yourself you feel like poo and look like poo.

Who in the world WANTS to get out of bed in slow motion and then go find gray hairs. LOL

I mean seriously...getting old takes work man. No one wants to work or endure change. Humans are lazy.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:21 PM

17,402 posts, read 3,537,755 times
[quote=tarragon
Why isn't it that us women can't just age and be happy with what and who we are?

Ahem...cough, cough....perhaps you might want to add that you are speaking for yourself only.

I have come to grips and accepted where I am in the aging process. And, for what it is worth, never have I dyed my hair (personally I think it is a lovely combo of silver and brown)...[I]never had cosmetic surgery of any kind or even considered it... etc. [/i]

Of course, many yrs ago I stopped reading women's magazines or watching anything on tv remotely responsible for trying to teach women:

You are not good enough until you use this product. Look younger no matter what...etc. IT IS AN UGLY BUSINESS... DESIGNED TO GET YOUR MONEY.

Men aren't immune either...ads for the muscular body, the body creams for men,
the cologne, car or jeans that seems to imply they get the girl....etc.

My only complaint is that our bodies start to betray us...now THAT is tough to accept but what choice do we have? Learn to adapt... change is coming for all of us.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:48 PM

31 posts, read 43,344 times
I think it has to do with self-esteem mostly. I know people who are embarrassed to admit they're in their late 20s or 30s. The common factor was that they weren't in a serious relationship or married while many of their friends and family were. Not that being single correlates with being offended with age, stating what I've noticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty