Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 05:20 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times

Advertisements

Some people age well, some don't. People who start off as beautiful usually age well. Seeing Hollywood stars age is NOT a good model for most of us.

If your eyelids begin to fall over your line of vision, insurance will actually pay to repair them. Or if you're thin, but your breasts are so pendulous that they're giving you a backache, insurance will pay for a reduction. These are not cosmetic procedures.

One woman I know began in her 50's to have a drooping scowl just like her grandmother, who had seriously abused her as a child. She fixed the scowl.

Many people want to keep working past 50, but who wants to hire someone who looks tired or perpetually angry because of aging? That's why Botox is popular.

Marriages break up---50% of them. Many in people's 40's and 50's, after the kids are gone. Most want to remarry. Do they feel comfortable taking off their clothes? Are they bald? Gray? Overweight? Looks count when trying to attract a mate.

It's easy to be quick to judge, especially when you're in your 20's or even 30's, but an aging appearance has to be experienced, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 05:45 PM

515 posts, read 716,715 times
Aging, schmaging! Doesn't offend me one little bit.

When you stop to consider the alternative, aging looks pretty damn good.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemy View Post
Aging, schmaging! Doesn't offend me one little bit.

When you stop to consider the alternative, aging looks pretty damn good.
What alternative? Surgery? Death? Makeup and hair coloring? Gently fighting aging? Staying single?

Old 12-15-2012, 09:16 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,685,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
What alternative? Surgery? Death? Makeup and hair coloring? Gently fighting aging? Staying single?
If I had to guess, the alternative to aging is not having the opportunity to age at all. We're ALL aging, even if it isn't as obvious in some as it is in others.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:30 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
I feel for some appearance is more then just how they look but it is who they are, it defines them, and it feels like that is all they have, are good at and are known for. So when things begin to change as one ages a lot of unknown and insecurities of how others and life in general will respond to that come up.
What I just said is not based on myself but based on what I view with a couple of close family members

Old 12-16-2012, 10:17 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
I think the problem is that the concept of "aging well" is only applied to looks instead of one's total body.

For instance two years ago I had a 45 minute conversation with a 67 year old lady who looked roughly like this:

http://image1.masterfile.com/em_w/00...-00866565w.jpg

Would you say she has aged well? Probably not.

But our conversation occurred during a 40 mile cycling event, she and I were in the lead pack out of a group of 30,000 riders, and we were riding at about 18 miles an hour. Now would you say she has aged well? Yes of course.

Aging well really isn't about the number of wrinkles on one's face. Wrinkles really are irrelevant when it comes to total body health.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Wrinkles really are irrelevant when it comes to total body health.
Wish it were so, but the most cursory Google search says that skin and its wrinkles can predict bone density/fracture risk, skin cancer risk, excessive cholesterol, kidney function/hydration level, circulation status, liver health, and for the wrinkles in the earlobe, heart attack risk.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:30 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Wish it were so, but the most cursory Google search says that skin and its wrinkles can predict bone density/fracture risk, skin cancer risk, excessive cholesterol, kidney function/hydration level, circulation status, liver health, and for the wrinkles in the earlobe, heart attack risk.
You can google up anything to prove a point, which is why doing a cursory google search isn't something worth bragging about. Bottom line though is that everyone wrinkles as they age, and aging people are more susceptible to all of the conditions you list (except skin cancer, which really shouldn't be on your list at all).

Old 12-16-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
You can google up anything to prove a point, which is why doing a cursory google search isn't something worth bragging about. Bottom line though is that everyone wrinkles as they age, and aging people are more susceptible to all of the conditions you list (except skin cancer, which really shouldn't be on your list at all).
Melanoma risk absolutely increases with age, because sun exposure accumulates with age. Wrinkles are correlated with sun exposure. People who have been institutionalized all their lives have remarkably smooth skin even at advanced ages.

You can Google it

Old 12-17-2012, 12:03 AM

406 posts, read 1,039,341 times
Maybe they assume they're going to the "other place" after they die
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty