U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 06:32 AM

5,368 posts, read 5,727,079 times

Advertisements

It's crazy, I'm not just talking about on this site(even though its prevalent here). We all age and that's a part of life but people get angry when you say or even insist that. Both males and females. Like how dare you say I'm not going to look as good at 45 then I do now at 23. It's kind of sad in away. I'm a fairly attractive 25 year old man who pulls good looking 19-27 year olds but I'm not stupid enough to think that when I'm 55 I will

A.look as good physically
B.will be able to get the same women in that age bracket.

It's highly unlikely, But I accept that. To use a sports metaphor I'm not going to be Michael jordan(when he was 40 and playin on the wizards) and think he's still as good as he was at 25.

And speaking of MJ, when met with a young 22 year old Kobe Bryant this happened

Kobe Bryant 42 points at half vs Jordan (55 total) 2002-03 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 07:08 AM

33,127 posts, read 26,942,243 times
Our society idolizes youth.

Not all societies do. And those don't seem to have such issues with getting older.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:47 AM

489 posts, read 384,725 times
People who worry about aging are crazy and usually have other issues as well.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:55 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,447,753 times
Why do people get so offended about the thought of Aging?

I agree with meh. In our society, the world of fashion, beauty and health care promotes relentless advertising aimed at hiding our real age and creating an illusion of "eternal youth." With product X you don't have to worry about those lines on your face. With product Y, remove the gray from your hair.
Go to this surgeon and he will do that much needed tuck that will remove years from your life, etc. So we have become conditioned to thinking that aging is the enemy.

We have also become conditioned to believing that youth is the time when we attain our peak. They tell us, by implication, that as we get older we slip into the downside of life and our worth becomes diminished. That youtube video is a good example of that. So advertising uses those ideas to push products that hide the natural aging process.

Like meh said, some societies respect aging. They actually seek to learn a thing or two about life from those that have gone through it for a full lifetime.

And then there's the thought, also implied in advertising, that as we age we are one step closer to the end of life. The products are going to delay that. If in reality they don't do that, at least it's going to take people's minds away from that and make them think that they are younger and "still in the game."

So all these things go on to create the idea that aging in our society..... not a great thing.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:07 AM

1,775 posts, read 2,591,017 times
Good subject. I was just thinking this morning about the aging process. I hate it when these men in their 40's, 50's talk about the good looking women who are in the below age 40 group. Why isn't it that us women can't just age and be happy with what and who we are? I am not saying to purposely let yourself go, but I am saying it's okay to accept that wrinkle, maybe the eyelids that are not perfect and the extra few pounds. No instead, we have to always feel like we have to figure out a way to make ourselves look younger. Feeling younger is okay, but to not embrace what is natural is nuts.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:10 AM

10,866 posts, read 18,937,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
I'm a fairly attractive 25 year old man who pulls good looking 19-27 year olds but I'm not stupid enough to think that when I'm 55 I will

It just depends on how much money you have by then.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:11 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,788,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Why isn't it that us women can't just age and be happy with what and who we are?
Many women already do that.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:22 AM

31,223 posts, read 57,391,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
I'm a fairly attractive 25 year old man who pulls good looking 19-27 year olds but I'm not stupid enough to think that when I'm 55 I will

Why would you want to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Why isn't it that us women can't just age and be happy with what and who we are?
I'm fine with it. What about you?

Old 12-12-2012, 08:33 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,447,753 times
It's really all about accepting yourself and not thinking that you have to fulfill someone else's expectations.... whether it's advertising or an actual person.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:36 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,782,630 times
Gravity always wins!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty