U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 03:15 PM

29,597 posts, read 31,914,576 times

Advertisements

Many people "dress" specificially for an occasion or gathering or party. They see clothing as costuming more than anything else. Maybe around the house or when there is no occasion it's just jeans and tshirts. I know many MANY younger people (20's-30's) who have a lot of fun with what they wear. They don't take it as seriously as some people do. I don't take it seriously myself so yes, I can see where girl would like guys who have fun and aren't afraid of looking a little silly in the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 03:23 PM

1,887 posts, read 3,277,537 times
The first picture is from an Ole Miss football game (did the Ole Miss logos on the shirt not give that away?) Their colors are red, white and blue, which may help explain the American flag shorts.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:55 PM

6,742 posts, read 3,870,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
If it works for them good.

I myself will definitely experiment with bright colors once in a while like yellow, pink, light purple, etc. I actually get compliments for being so daring with bright colors (especially being a big guy.) Apparently SOME girls like guys who brighten up their wardrobe once in a while.
Same, sir. I am a young, handsome dapper, like The D. Many young women do, but that really doesn't matter to be because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Kat View Post
Here's a thought ... maybe these guys are dressing to please themselves instead of everyone else. And maybe girls like them because they treat them right, they're fun to be with, they're tigers in the the bedroom, or who knows what? It's a sad world that judges people solely on what they're wearing.

Think I'll wear my yellow pants to work tomorrow.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:08 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,889,678 times
No, men who dress like that don't appeal to me.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:19 PM

6,220 posts, read 7,400,726 times
Looking at the first picture, I would hazard a guess that it was taken at a party, on a patriotic holiday, with instructions to the attendees to "dress in red, white and blue".

The rest of the photos look like Mommy wasn't there to help them dress.

As for what women like, I can speak to that since I am one. Women are all different and like different things. There is surely a woman for any one of those pictured. Probably not the same woman, however.

If men dress for the occasion, i.e., suit and tie when appropriate; golf shirt and khakis when the occasion calls for that look; white tee (tucked in) and jeans with loafers (my particular fave) for just a casual afternoon, then they will always find women who will like the way they look.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:31 PM

17,402 posts, read 3,537,755 times
Well first of all, you start out with "Do all women".....

ALL WOMEN are not who you are targeting with your question, right?
Maybe if you gave an age range you could hear info from those closer to your age grp.

But since you asked:
NO to your question. I consider the clothing shown to be "yuppie"....uninspiring, loud in color, copy-cat etc.

I prefer muted darker tones for guys too, more classy....but on occasion a salesman, let's say, might wear a medium-tone aqua shirt or even a med-tone red that looks awesome. Of course, not everyone could pull this off.

Never would I like pants that are anything but muted/dark. NO clown pants, NO plaids, NO white linen on a guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by west_2_east View Post
It seems like most women my age (I just graduated college, so maybe it's just a younger person thing) seem to really like the super flamboyant preppy look with tons of bright colors and eccentric ties, etc. Examples of what I mean:

Do women really like guys who dress like that? I am by no means a sweatpants and graphic tee kind of person, but I prefer to dress in more muted, traditional colors like navy blue, black, white, beige, etc. I feel as though mens fashion is straightforward: be clean-cut and well put together (i.e. make sure the clothes fit well, don't wear athletic sneakers outside the gym, etc.) but don't be fashion forward or try to impress. I feel that dressing in loud colors isn't very masculine, but girls seem to love it.

Any thoughts?

Old 12-13-2012, 04:40 PM

6,724 posts, read 11,744,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Maybe if you read the question of the thread you would have an idea on what this is about. "Do women seriously like guys who dress like this?" My answer is no, not in that way, because I believe they are gay. Capiche?
I DID read the question. I just didn't take it as an opportunity to make wild guesses about people's sexual orientation.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:46 PM

5,145 posts, read 10,426,168 times
No. Makes me think of Carlton too...

Famous Carlton Dance (a compilation) - YouTube

Old 12-13-2012, 05:28 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,956,874 times
Well those photos are of really scrawny, ugly little guys, in cheap surroundings, wearing cheap clothes. And in the first photo, they have smoking material in their mouths, which would indicate they are scum-of-the-earth. Otherwise, we have no idea of context. Young Republicans? Kids in a bottom-rung frat?

I don't know if these are kids from grey collar families, parodying Preppies, or kids from grey collar families pretending to be Preppies, or kids from grey collar families who think they're Preppies.

The kid a few photos down, in the suspenders, has on eye makeup. Maybe this is after his high school play?

The ones at top look like they are trying to parody the Kennedy clan. But who knows?

Anyway, are these even new photos? They look like they're from the Eighties.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:38 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,443,013 times
Wow, I didn't know men could be so catty. And about other men's fashion, no less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty