U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 12:24 PM

5,412 posts, read 8,277,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west_2_east View Post
It seems like most women my age (I just graduated college, so maybe it's just a younger person thing) seem to really like the super flamboyant preppy look with tons of bright colors and eccentric ties, etc. Examples of what I mean:

Do women really like guys who dress like that? I am by no means a sweatpants and graphic tee kind of person, but I prefer to dress in more muted, traditional colors like navy blue, black, white, beige, etc. I feel as though mens fashion is straightforward: be clean-cut and well put together (i.e. make sure the clothes fit well, don't wear athletic sneakers outside the gym, etc.) but don't be fashion forward or try to impress. I feel that dressing in loud colors isn't very masculine, but girls seem to love it.

Any thoughts?
No problem with how any of these guys dress. But I tend to go for more the understated/New England preppy though, like the later pics on this thread. I do like pastel colors and vests on guys.

BTW, The first pic on the thread seems to be from a July 4 event and the guys seem to be wearing matching shorts as a joke. So what... they're obviously having fun.

The pic of the guy with bow tie, belt buckle, and suspenders is more hipster style to me. I don't tend to go for guys trying so hard to be ironic. I'm not that artistic I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 06:14 PM

4,551 posts, read 9,859,296 times
I find that style to preppy for me. My cousins used to dress that way, but, now that they are older they don't dress this way.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:27 AM

11,987 posts, read 10,678,285 times
Nevermind about how the guys are dressed in the photo in the original post.. what about the women? I know their clothing is pretty standard for these times, but they look like they're dressed in shapeless bags. These are the kinds of clothes we'd make fun of in old photographs when I was your age and it was the late 90s. Kids these days.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:15 PM

4,187 posts, read 4,211,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Nevermind about how the guys are dressed in the photo in the original post.. what about the women? I know their clothing is pretty standard for these times, but they look like they're dressed in shapeless bags. These are the kinds of clothes we'd make fun of in old photographs when I was your age and it was the late 90s. Kids these days.
You should see what hipsters wear, then you'll really start shaking your fist.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:46 PM

363 posts, read 572,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
My thoughts:

Looks like these guys have the good looking women. Women like guys who are confident and can loosen up and have fun. Sometimes the occasion matters in regard to one's dress and the photos you've posted look like fun social occasions.

My thoughts about the reason these people bother you:

Maybe you're envious/jealous, perhaps even in such a way you don't realize it (buried deep, rationalized; rinse, repeat). The way you describe your choice of dress leads me to believe that you may intentionally want to blend in and not stand out. And combined with your worrying about what others do, I'd say your style of dress and reasons behind it stem form insecurity/lack of confidence. Maybe you'd be afraid to step out there and do something bold for the fear of a negative reaction. I should also add part of what bothers you is the sort of good friendships and connection the people in your photos have that allow them to confidently be silly together.
Maybe he's just a regular dude who doesn't want to be the typical moronic douchebag who wants to get in every girls pants. Also, there are a lot better ways of standing out than that. I liked the picture with all the black guys. Those guys looked stylish. The guys in the op pic looked like guys who probably did 10 beer bongs every night and showed up drunk to finals in college.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:10 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,195,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post
Maybe he's just a regular dude who doesn't want to be the typical moronic douchebag who wants to get in every girls pants. Also, there are a lot better ways of standing out than that. I liked the picture with all the black guys. Those guys looked stylish. The guys in the op pic looked like guys who probably did 10 beer bongs every night and showed up drunk to finals in college.

You're just the same as he.

The folks you're belittling don't give a flying eff about you or the OP. You know why? Because they are too busy enjoying their lives. So why do you have strong feelings toward them?

Old 12-20-2012, 08:24 PM

525 posts, read 917,608 times
I do !

Old 12-21-2012, 03:06 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,739,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Who's to say a lot of these guys aren't gay? There was only one picture of the guy with girls in it, and it was a bunch of girls. Girls often like to have gay guys as friends, since they're easier to relate with. My vote is that most of them are gay.
+1

That was my initial thought.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:34 PM

5,119 posts, read 3,633,578 times
Personallity and cleanliness count. If the clothes are loud but the man wearing them is nice and keeps clean, that's what is important.

If you hook up in a long term relationship with a nice guy who always wears loud clothes, you'd better realize that he's not going to change in the long run. In other words, if you can't stand the clothes he wears, you'd best think twice.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:40 PM

26,864 posts, read 28,137,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Who's to say a lot of these guys aren't gay? There was only one picture of the guy with girls in it, and it was a bunch of girls. Girls often like to have gay guys as friends, since they're easier to relate with. My vote is that most of them are gay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
+1

That was my initial thought.
Wow! Where can I get your magical powers to suss out sexual orientation by clothing style. Can you teach me to figure out marital status, financial portfolio, educational level, job satisfaction and the number of kids too with a quick glance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty