U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-13-2012, 09:09 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times
Reputation: 11862

Advertisements

I actually like scents, but I generally DON'T like the artificial, chemical stench of most perfume...I don't mind the more natural stuff, but I honestly think a lot of stuff is just marketing. They create demand to sell products we don't need that damage the environment. Even deoderant or anti-perspirant. Unless you have really bad BO just have a shower after you exercise or get all sweaty! You don't need to spray it on every day or something.

We were designed to be attracted to natural scents anyway. Since when has a scent really made you more popular with the opposite sex?

I don't really 'wear' any kind of artificial scent. I doubt it would really help my chances and i'm not about the start. I just think the whole thing is pointless but that's just my 2 cents. Well I get the 'point' of it but I think it's pointless to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2012, 09:13 PM
 
Location: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
336 posts, read 272,094 times
Reputation: 195
Yea, its mostly hype to get our money.

Living in Asia, however, I do use an underarm deodorant. Even though I bathe, Westerners otherwise smell different to many Asians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2012, 12:34 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,865 posts, read 28,137,614 times
Reputation: 25975
I think it is a fun adornment. It is interesting to see how the scents impact other people. And how different each persons body chemistry is. There is a happy medium though. Too much is annoying.

Smells can help to set a mood, whether it is in the room or on a person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2012, 06:00 AM
 
Location: southwestern PA
20,426 posts, read 35,696,560 times
Reputation: 38829
Fake smells of any sort are pointless, on a person or in a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2012, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Too far from the beach, NJ
5,073 posts, read 4,138,341 times
Reputation: 2543
I love perfume, and I wear it for my own enjoyment. This is no more pointless than any other pastime that one indulges in for the sheer love of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2012, 09:59 AM
 
3,517 posts, read 5,440,470 times
Reputation: 5566
I've been to France. Deodorant is necessary even when you're not exercising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2012, 10:04 AM
 
3,592 posts, read 4,511,894 times
Reputation: 4730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I actually like scents, but I generally DON'T like the artificial, chemical stench of most perfume...I don't mind the more natural stuff, but I honestly think a lot of stuff is just marketing. They create demand to sell products we don't need that damage the environment. Even deoderant or anti-perspirant. Unless you have really bad BO just have a shower after you exercise or get all sweaty! You don't need to spray it on every day or something.

We were designed to be attracted to natural scents anyway. Since when has a scent really made you more popular with the opposite sex?

I don't really 'wear' any kind of artificial scent. I doubt it would really help my chances and i'm not about the start. I just think the whole thing is pointless but that's just my 2 cents. Well I get the 'point' of it but I think it's pointless to me.
I don't think they're pointless. I think they are one of the best things in life to enjoy, and if chosen correctly a woman can have a devastating effect on masculine, female-seeking members of the opposite sex with a fragrance wisely chosen to accentuate her unique body chemistry. But then I am not a woman who seems to halfway wish she were a man; that may appeal to some women, that's their choice. "I enjoy being a girl" Whole-heartedly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2012, 10:14 AM
 
3,517 posts, read 5,440,470 times
Reputation: 5566
I recently watched "Perfume: the story of a murderer" and it gives you an interesting look at the power of scent. It's also creepy and bizarre as ****.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2012, 10:48 AM
 
Location: southern born and southern bred
12,480 posts, read 14,364,838 times
Reputation: 19530
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
I love perfume, and I wear it for my own enjoyment. This is no more pointless than any other pastime that one indulges in for the sheer love of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
I don't think they're pointless. I think they are one of the best things in life to enjoy, and if chosen correctly a woman can have a devastating effect on masculine, female-seeking members of the opposite sex with a fragrance wisely chosen to accentuate her unique body chemistry. But then I am not a woman who seems to halfway wish she were a man; that may appeal to some women, that's their choice. "I enjoy being a girl" Whole-heartedly.

oh lawdy---what "some" enjoy and think these scents are one of the best things in life to enjoy( I really have to ponder that for awhile); please remember how many people are HIGHLY allergic to your choice of aromas and how detrimental it is to people's health. Seriously detrimental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2012, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
76 posts, read 103,054 times
Reputation: 252
It's all about subtlety.

My wife has an array of perfumes on her desk, so many I've lost track. I don't recall names or brands or whatever but every so often she'll wear the one she wore on our first trip to Vegas, or maybe she'll wear the one she had on when we took that impromptu road trip that one summer. She doesn't bathe in the stuff, it's just catching a whiff that brings back some amazingly wonderful memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top