U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 10:37 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,150,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I have no idea what that means.

I'm a man who has had the opportunity to live and travel around the world and see just how arbitrary social customs are.

But back to the thread topic.

Telling the guy he has to take off his hat is no different than telling a woman she has to show her [whatever]. Curious if you don't support both instances
Of course I wouldn't support both. A girlfriend asking a boyfriend to remove a hat in public is socially acceptable. A boyfriend asking a girlfriend to remove her clothing in public is not socially acceptable.

Empirical research shows us that both guys and girls use appearance to determine how attracted they are to eachother. Hair plays a large part in appearance.

This is equivalent to a girl wearing a ski mask all the time and never showing her boyfriend what she looks like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 10:43 PM

13,295 posts, read 12,351,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Of course I wouldn't support both. A girlfriend asking a boyfriend to remove a hat in public is socially acceptable. A boyfriend asking a girlfriend to remove her clothing in public is not socially acceptable.
Sure it is. I just want to see her feet. Why is she always wearing shoes?

Barefoot is totally socially acceptable. Feet, to me, play a large part in appearance.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Sure it is. I just want to see her feet. Why is she always wearing shoes?

Barefoot is totally socially acceptable. Feet, to me, play a large part in appearance.
So you should ask her to show you her feet. Just like the OP should ask him to remove his hat.

It's normal for a person to always wear shoes when they are out. It's abnormal for a guy to constantly wear a hat. It's almost as if he is hiding something.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
So you should ask her to show you her feet. Just like the OP should ask him to remove his hat.

It's normal for a person to always wear shoes when they are out. It's abnormal for a guy to constantly wear a hat. It's almost as if he is hiding something.
Agreed.

But if he's hiding something, likely a bald head that he's not comfortable with, then the OP needs to think about how important this is to her.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Agreed.

But if he's hiding something, likely a bald head that he's not comfortable with, then the OP needs to think about how important this is to her.
Well, if he's hiding a bald head that he's not comfortable with, then the OP has a more serious problem. She's dating an insecure man that is not ready to be dating and needs to find herself someone better.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Well, if he's hiding a bald head that he's not comfortable with, then the OP has a more serious problem. She's dating an insecure man that is not ready to be dating and needs to find herself someone better.
No...that's not an overreaction at all.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:06 AM

12,775 posts, read 9,446,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowT View Post
Yes he changed the subject and wore the hat at the table. I was thinking maybe hes hiding something. It made me want to find out sooner. He's a really cool guy. We get along really great. He respects me. He treats me really well. I was sick the other day and he offered to buy medicine for me. Even when I was coughing, he invited me to grab dinner if I was hungry. He said he would risk getting sick just to see me. He never attempted to have sex. We have kissed and that's about it. So my point is, I'm not sure what to do if hes a guy who is balding. I can't dump him because of that but I don't think I would still feel the same attraction. But maybe I could overlook it considering hes such a nice person.
He sounds exceptional, what a sweetie. I don't know why this is such a big deal to you. He may be afraid you won't accept him, and you've pretty much said that his hair is that important to you. Assume it's a receding hairline. Let him down easy, so he can find someone that cares more about who he is than what he looks like under the cap. Your loss.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:16 PM

5 posts, read 9,271 times
Quote:
According to this, 99% of women should not be dating then. When women wear makeup to make them self's look better and hide there flaws because there insecure about there face, skin etc. The majority of women will not go anywhere without some form of makeup on, even go as far as to go to bed with makeup on so there partner will not see what they really look like.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:13 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,450,454 times
trust me from a guy who started losing his hair at age 15, yes age 15, it truly sucks. If that's the case and you are that shallow that you wouldn't date a guy that treats you well because he is losing his hair through no fault except genes and heredity, he is too good for you and should come to his senses and leave immediately. My guess is he is losing his hair and thus wears a hat because he does feel a little insecure about it, etc.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:09 PM

19,283 posts, read 20,166,730 times
Jersey and fili --- you guys (?) are cracking me up!

I just hope neither of you would demand that I shave my mustache so that you could see that there was nothing amiss with my philtrum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty