U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 09:29 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,563,577 times

Advertisements

Here's a little "twist" for you guys...lol.
My cheapest handbag is also my most expensive.....lol.
Got an original Chanel purse at a consignment boutique for $25...just to end up at the Chanel Boutique in NYC and be told that this particular bag retailed for about $1500 to $1700 !!!
That was THE bargain of a lifetime!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 02:31 PM

253 posts, read 1,013,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
Here's a little "twist" for you guys...lol.
My cheapest handbag is also my most expensive.....lol.
Got an original Chanel purse at a consignment boutique for $25...just to end up at the Chanel Boutique in NYC and be told that this particular bag retailed for about $1500 to $1700 !!!
That was THE bargain of a lifetime!!!!
Great Deall Kudos to you. & I thought i was a bargain hunter!

Old 10-18-2007, 07:52 PM

859 posts, read 3,017,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibound-Yorkiemom View Post
I hear ya. Like I sad you are ahead of me. I had a coach when I was very young but (about 12) it was used from my mom. Most of my teen years I was buying fakes & when I was 23 I was buying the leather bags the guys in Paris sell for like $20. i spent a couple of years in Europe in my early 20's after college.
I didn't get full on into fashion until about the year 2000 after we bought our first house. I love Sex in the City. Its so cool that you own all of the DVd's. That show ruined me. Before that I was happy getting shoes from 9 west, Parade or macy's. I was happy buying those leather bags off of the street vendors too. I didn't know any better.But by the time I hit 30 I replaced my whole warbdrobe with high end designer goods. All because of the curiosity i felt about something i never knew.

You have started even early than I did.I'm sure you will be racking up on your Prada handbags in no time. It sounds like you've been bitten by the bug.
I hear what you are saying about student loans. I just finished my 3rd masters so believe me I have my share I was just going through them today. i am also thinking of going back again for my law degree. Thats gonna pile on even more debt.
It could be dangerous, we live close enough that we could technically go shopping together I am right in NJ (Cherry Hill-ish area). We would do major damage haha

Old 10-18-2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissSunshine View Post
It could be dangerous, we live close enough that we could technically go shopping together I am right in NJ (Cherry Hill-ish area). We would do major damage haha
I bet we would. That would make for one happy store though. The Coach store is a few blocks down from where I live. have you ever been to the on in Center City? They are really sweet in there. I went in there to get some logo sneaker but they didn't have the style I wanted. I got a few pair of Dior logo sneakers instead. On sale no less! I know its cheesey but I really wnated a pair of logo sneakers for my dressed down look.

Seriously I don't do much shopping here PA because they don't have my brands except for the nieman marcus. Im really into anything Cavalli, Gucci, Louboutins, Blahniks, Choos,Dior, Chanel, Prada Marc jacobs, Dolce & Gabanna, Fendi, Stuff like that. Although you can find the occasional item here it will most likely not be in your size, the style that you want & you will wind up pay full price or close to full price. I'm allergic to that. The only thing I've paid full price for was my LV & my Coach bags.I do most of my shopping in LA or NY still. When I'm not there I go online you can get really good deals in these places if you know where to look. Its gotten so bad I have sales people sending my emails with pics of items that they think I'll like. I love it!

Old 10-19-2007, 12:14 AM

7,269 posts, read 9,206,668 times
Quote:
My most expensive purse is a Prada Croc Purse. It retails for close to $6,000. I have a Fendi that retails for about $4,000 & a Gucci tha retails for close to $3,000. I also have a Prada Ostrich purse that retails close to $3000. I got them on sale though. I try to never pay full price. My hubby got those for me too.They all cost more than my LV too. Which is the one bag I paid full price for. I got my two Prada's together I think two yrs ago from Prada in NYC I got my Fendi for my birthday about 5 yrs ago from Fendi & I got my Gucci from Nieman Marcus in Las Vegas.

My cheapest bags are my Juicy Couture dog purses a Juicy Couture that I use to knock around in & my Coach signature bags. They were all arund $300. They don't compare to most of my other purses but are all cute and serve their purpose. I got all these bags NY. I got the Juicy bags from NM &the Juicy Couture store. I got my coach bags from Macy's.
I want an Ostrich purse SOOoOOooOOOo bad. Absolutely love them.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:59 AM

859 posts, read 3,017,917 times
Quote:
I bet we would. That would make for one happy store though. The Coach store is a few blocks down from where I live. have you ever been to the on in Center City? They are really sweet in there. I went in there to get some logo sneaker but they didn't have the style I wanted. I got a few pair of Dior logo sneakers instead. On sale no less! I know its cheesey but I really wnated a pair of logo sneakers for my dressed down look.

Seriously I don't do much shopping here PA because they don't have my brands except for the nieman marcus. Im really into anything Cavalli, Gucci, Louboutins, Blahniks, Choos,Dior, Chanel, Prada Marc jacobs, Dolce & Gabanna, Fendi, Stuff like that. Although you can find the occasional item here it will most likely not be in your size, the style that you want & you will wind up pay full price or close to full price. I'm allergic to that. The only thing I've paid full price for was my LV & my Coach bags.I do most of my shopping in LA or NY still. When I'm not there I go online you can get really good deals in these places if you know where to look. Its gotten so bad I have sales people sending my emails with pics of items that they think I'll like. I love it!
If you prefer mall shopping over outdoor botiques, you should try Short Hills Mall in Union County, NJ. It will be a little bit closer that NYC and you can kill a lot of birds with one stone there. They have a lot of botiques in that mall: Gucci, Fendi, Choo, Coach, Burberry, Cole Haan, D&G, Dior, DKNY, Juicy, LV, store devoted to True Religion jeans and more. They also have most of the big department stores Neimans, Saks, Bloomies. And they also have regular priced stores: Bebe, Gap, Abercrombie. The only thing you won't find is totally low priced stuff...there is no Old Navy or H&M type places there.

I really love going there, it's fun to have so many bag stores in one spot

Old 10-19-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
I want an Ostrich purse SOOoOOooOOOo bad. Absolutely love them.
I got a really good deal on it too. Every year Prad has a good sale. I usually have to stand outside in the freezing cold waiting to get let in but it is worth it to me. I'm posting the picture for you.
Its a funky lil design that I find to be orginal & unique. I like to have a variety of fashion from kinda conservative to rather wild. I have this fur Dolce & Gabanna skirt that my husband teases me & says it makes me look like bigfoot (it sort of does) but I love it & wear it every winter. People either love it or hate it. most love it or so they say It soesn't matter to me because fashion is all about personal expression. The vast majority of my stuff isn't current season but that doesn't matter to me. Besides if youi buy stuff from season's past you get good deals & thats what I'm all about! When I'm not wearing Chanel or Dior suits to work I like to kick back in funky attire!

Here's the back of it.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissSunshine View Post
If you prefer mall shopping over outdoor botiques, you should try Short Hills Mall in Union County, NJ. It will be a little bit closer that NYC and you can kill a lot of birds with one stone there. They have a lot of botiques in that mall: Gucci, Fendi, Choo, Coach, Burberry, Cole Haan, D&G, Dior, DKNY, Juicy, LV, store devoted to True Religion jeans and more. They also have most of the big department stores Neimans, Saks, Bloomies. And they also have regular priced stores: Bebe, Gap, Abercrombie. The only thing you won't find is totally low priced stuff...there is no Old Navy or H&M type places there.
I really love going there, it's fun to have so many bag stores in one spot
Sounds like a great spot. What are their sales like? I'm all about the sales If I bought too many of the items that i shope for at full price I'd be broke! LA & NY have a lot of great sales on items & the sales peopel contact me & sometimes even hold items for me. Online shopping is also good for some things providing you know what you are looking for. I know some pretty good sellers on Ebay that sell authentic stuff that is new. I don't buy from as much anymore because i can typically find it but if I have trouble locating an item I will still check with them from time to time.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:02 AM

330 posts, read 1,065,288 times
Calibound-Yorkiemom, I buy Coach bags for everyday use too and since I've moved from the Philadelphia area to the Charleston area, I found a Coach Factory store only 20 minutes away! I just bought their new diaper baby bag for my sister that was regularly 398. and I got it for 165. I was very proud of that deal.

Since I've left the northeast for Charleston the only thing I think I miss is Nordstrom, Bloomingdales and Macy's, in that order. So now I have to shop online instead. But they do have a Saks and Gucci here so Charleston's not completely at a loss for shopping.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:36 AM

13,432 posts, read 24,204,419 times
I found a $600 Portal bag at the thrift store for $60. Mint condition. Got a Prada at the thrift store too. Still hunting for the Birkin!

I won't pay what they want for bags but I love hunting for the occasional bargain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty