Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 11:16 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times

Advertisements

For those that can afford it Calvin Klein is the obvious choice. But I think that Perry Ellis is rather interesting, both aesthetics, technology, and quality of fabrics, for those on the lower end. Perry Ellis is clearly better than something like Nautica, for example. Perry Ellis has a number of strikes against it though.

Only men's fashion no women's line

Whichever company owns Perry Ellis at the moment does absolutely nothing to promote it

Ellis, RIP, died long before the brand could take off whereas Klein and Lauren were able to push their brands further. Hilfiger was the final nail in the coffin; I think with the right marketing the brand could adequately compete against the likes of Nautica. Also this considering that Nautica never really had a face for their brand

No high end lines for the brand to show off what it is capable of. The most you'll pay for anything is probably $500.

It's not always practical, because some of the pieces are so weird. Other labels do a better job with basic, utilitarian pieces.

Having said all of this, I still love the brand for avant garde, idiosyncratic men's fashion. Doubtful they could ever survive in women's fashion, because there are a million brands in women's fashion doing the same quirky things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 03:49 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,047,572 times
Default ,m

I don’t know if they’re comparable. Calvin Klein has always been casual/business/formal wear. Perry Ellis always has had more of a classic/preppy vibe to their casual/business/formal wear similar to Ralph Lauren for men. I think Perry Ellis had lost its relevance for a while. Haven’t heard or seen it worn about much in the past ten years. Calvin sticks to basic casual and survives. Ralph Lauren stays classic. Tommy Hilfiger has been making a comeback. Nautica, not sure if they’re going anywhere yet. They can’t decide if they want to be nautical/preppy or another Tommy Hilfiger.

While they don’t do women’s fashion, they have had women’s perfume. I used to love Perry Ellis’ 360.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:46 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Note that PVH has been reorganizing the Calvin Klein division over the past year after poor performance of the jeans business, discontinuing their flagship luxury collection, licensing out the women's jeans business to G-III Apparel, and recently hiring a new CEO for the division. Apparently Calvin Klein is facing pressure.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:58 PM

On their current trajectory I don't know if either label can survive. Neither is that interesting to casual consumers, and neither is promoted in any meaningful way. PVH simply does not know what to do with their brands. A lot of wind has been taken out of Calvin Klein's sails. Perry Ellis has it's idiosyncrasies but I don't think they're doing a good job of selling that aspect of the brand. I wear both. I don't see anyone doing what Perry Ellis does at their price point, so far as style, and I think that Calvin Klein still tries really hard to be a poor man's Armani, which in and of itself is interesting, but not necessarily respectable.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
On their current trajectory I don't know if either label can survive. Neither is that interesting to casual consumers, and neither is promoted in any meaningful way. PVH simply does not know what to do with their brands. A lot of wind has been taken out of Calvin Klein's sails. Perry Ellis has it's idiosyncrasies but I don't think they're doing a good job of selling that aspect of the brand. I wear both. I don't see anyone doing what Perry Ellis does at their price point, so far as style, and I think that Calvin Klein still tries really hard to be a poor man's Armani, which in and of itself is interesting, but not necessarily respectable.
Well, some of PVH's brands do complement each other. In PVH's loungewear business, Warner's and Olga essentially are lower-cost alternatives to Calvin Klein, and True&Co is a more digital-centric complement. In menswear, Arrow, Van Heusen, and Geoffrey Beene (in order of increasing price) are essentially more affordable alternatives to Calvin Klein. The only PVH brand that seems to be in its own niche is Speedo which is a swimwear-focused brand.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Well, some of PVH's brands do complement each other. In PVH's loungewear business, Warner's and Olga essentially are lower-cost alternatives to Calvin Klein, and True&Co is a more digital-centric complement. In menswear, Arrow, Van Heusen, and Geoffrey Beene (in order of increasing price) are essentially more affordable alternatives to Calvin Klein. The only PVH brand that seems to be in its own niche is Speedo which is a swimwear-focused brand.
Fair enough because PVH knows how to make money. So even if I don't particularly care for the fashion that is immaterial from a business aspect. I can't disagree with you there. Perry Ellis is something I can throw on and the chance that someone else is wearing it is next to nothing. If someone else is wearing Perry Ellis, the chance that it is something I have in my closet is next to nothing. A lot of the time Calvin Klein is the same way. You don't get that with Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger because they're too popular.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:27 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
As a woman I really don't think about men's brands all that much. I only know what I see in ads or from walking pass the mens department in a department store.

And not that they're all exactly interchangeable, but some of them are. I always wonder in general about retail.....just how much space is there in a given category?

Calvin Klein ..... Perry Ellis ..... Ralph Lauren ..... Nautica ..... Tommy Hilfiger .....
Arrow ..... Van Heusen ..... Geoffrey Beene .... True&Co

Depending on the price point, type of item, or kind of apparel you're looking for at least two or three of them are just as good as another, to a certain extent.

I mean.....
.... If Nautica went away, would that many people miss it? Sure devoted fans would, but other than that?
.... If Perry Ellis or Arrow folded, would options really be that much more limited?

Sure Arrow and Van Heusen to me seem to be more " old school business attire (I only see them in JC Penney, I think)," but Klein, Ellis, Lauren, Nautica, Hilfiger and Beene are all the same to me. True&Co, I don't even know anything about that brand.

Last edited by selhars; 06-13-2019 at 08:33 AM..

Old 06-13-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
As a woman I really don't think about men's brands all that much. I only know what I see in ads or from walking past the mens department in a department store.

And not that they're all exactly interchangeable, but some of them are. I always wonder in general about retail.....just how much space is there in a given category?

Calvin Klein ..... Perry Ellis ..... Ralph Lauren ..... Nautica ..... Tommy Hilfiger .....
Arrow ..... Van Heusen ..... Geoffrey Beene .... True&Co

Depending on the price point, type of item, or kind of apparel you're looking for at least two or three of them are just as good as another, to a certain extent.

I mean.....
.... If Nautica went away, would that many people miss it? Sure devoted fans would, but other than that?
.... If Perry Ellis or Arrow folded, would options really be that much more limited?

Sure Arrow and Van Heusen to me seem to be more " old school business attire (I only see them in JC Penney, I think)," but Klein, Ellis, Lauren, Nautica, Hilfiger and Beene are all the same to me. True&Co, I don't even know anything about that brand.
I don't think there's room for Perry Ellis and Calvin Klein in the marketplace. I'm just going to put that out there. Those brands are coasting because they fill a niche in men's clothing, but they aren't marketed well. Calvin Klein is struggling with their premium line. This goes way beyond Raf Simmons. They were struggling several years ago. Perry Ellis is invisible hiding in plain sight. I buy it because I can get it on sale for 90% off. Every day of the year.

As far as PVH brands these are your grandfather's brands. They were essential in the sixties. Arrow was essential back in the thirties. Neither brand is anything anyone is really checking for today.

Hilfiger and Nautica are riding the nineties Renaissance that Gen Z is pushing. But I doubt they'll survive past that. Macy's had an exclusive deal with Hilfiger. But that ties Hilfiger's performance to the store. Hilfiger needs to get past that, because it has made them Macy's premium store brand.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:33 PM

As for Arrow, I don't see a future for the brand. Its main retailer (Sears) is now a shell of its former self, and the two other retailers (Kohl's and Amazon) don't carry as much of a selection. PVH doesn't nearly promote the brand as much as Van Heusen which has a larger retail presence.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
As for Arrow, I don't see a future for the brand. Its main retailer (Sears) is now a shell of its former self, and the two other retailers (Kohl's and Amazon) don't carry as much of a selection. PVH doesn't nearly promote the brand as much as Van Heusen which has a larger retail presence.
True Arrow did turn into an unofficial Sears store brand. So there's that. I still see Arrow on Amazon heavy. But Arrow is basically in competition with Amazon Essentials and Amazon's Buttoned Down. I still wear Van Heusun on occasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty