U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-20-2015, 12:56 PM
 
9,018 posts, read 7,952,009 times
Reputation: 14414

Advertisements

"Meaning, they are a suffocating piece of fashion that is outdated."


I disagree totally.
I love, love, love corsets.....
I'm getting a few new ones, actually
I was born to wear those things.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-20-2015, 01:24 PM
 
4,943 posts, read 2,567,230 times
Reputation: 21971
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
As proven by this statement:

Not the most knowledgeable, most courteous, or generally most competent, but the one wearing a tie.
Yes. He has made an effort to look his best for work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Of course I stand and act differently when I'm being made thoroughly uncomfortable by wearing a useless necktie.

Much like how I'd probably stand and act differently if I had some foreign object lodged in my fundament.
Don't wear one, no one is forcing you to wear one. Obviously you don't like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2015, 01:27 PM
 
Location: USA
2,580 posts, read 3,435,688 times
Reputation: 2220
Yeah I hate suits & ties they feel very suffocating. It's terrible having to wear one down here in South Florida outside of December through February maybe lol.

I love being self employed & wearing whatever I like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2015, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
2,960 posts, read 4,692,429 times
Reputation: 3992
i do not find ties or suits uncomfortable unless im outside in the heat or something /shrug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2015, 04:44 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
7,658 posts, read 7,462,655 times
Reputation: 3244
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
As proven by this statement:




Not the most knowledgeable, most courteous, or generally most competent, but the one wearing a tie.

That's what I'm asking - you make it sound like it is both physically uncomfortable in addition to the fact that you (evidently) don't like the way some other people view people in ties as "better than".

If it's not improperly fit, a suit and tie should not cause you physical discomfort. Your emotional state is a whole different discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2015, 04:52 PM
 
4,943 posts, read 2,567,230 times
Reputation: 21971
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
That's what I'm asking - you make it sound like it is both physically uncomfortable in addition to the fact that you (evidently) don't like the way some other people view people in ties as "better than".

If it's not improperly fit, a suit and tie should not cause you physical discomfort. Your emotional state is a whole different discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2015, 06:48 AM
 
4,940 posts, read 4,646,736 times
Reputation: 9181
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
That's what I'm asking - you make it sound like it is both physically uncomfortable in addition to the fact that you (evidently) don't like the way some other people view people in ties as "better than".

If it's not improperly fit, a suit and tie should not cause you physical discomfort. Your emotional state is a whole different discussion.

It's both.

Even a properly-fitted collar is snug around the neck in comparison to an open collar. Adding a necktie just makes it worse. A properly-fitted suit coat feels confining compared to not wearing one at all.

Add to that the irritation of having to wear clothes that I don't want to wear at all plus the whole "better than" thing.

And as far as "no one is forcing you to wear one", do you really think that's the case? No pressure from mothers, wives, or bosses, ever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2015, 07:25 AM
 
17,917 posts, read 9,849,196 times
Reputation: 17410
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
And as far as "no one is forcing you to wear one", do you really think that's the case? No pressure from mothers, wives, or bosses, ever?
I'm sure if it weren't for mothers, wives, and bosses, all men would just wear loincloths and sleep in cardboard boxes.

Thank God for mothers, wives, and bosses...they are the reason there is civilization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2015, 07:40 AM
 
4,940 posts, read 4,646,736 times
Reputation: 9181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'm sure if it weren't for mothers, wives, and bosses, all men would just wear loincloths and sleep in cardboard boxes.

Would that be you if you didn't have a mother, wife, or boss?


I didn't think so.


Me, neither.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2015, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Early America
1,474 posts, read 692,964 times
Reputation: 3137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Actually, it's more like a guy who refuses to wear a tie but likes seeing a woman in high heels.
Tie and heels. This is a good analogy because it comes down to sex appeal. A tie creates a visually appealing silhouette for men as heels do for women. Sex appeal is the only reason both genders suffer these things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top