U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 12:44 AM

29,580 posts, read 31,900,225 times

Advertisements

It a style, it adds interest to the hair to not have it be all one solid color. It's neither good nor bad, it's just another thing people do because they like it. No big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 07:03 AM

18,434 posts, read 28,516,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabaghoul View Post
Models are not normal people. They always have that thousand-yard stare in their eyes. Maybe they think people won't notice or care if they don't dye their roots.
Sorry, I forgot you were right about everything.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:41 AM

1,459 posts, read 2,119,595 times
Some hair colors grow that way naturally. Particularly certain shades of blonde, and some brunettes that turn auburn in the sun. Natural highlights don't start at the scalp.

Now, a full head of Marilyn Monroe platinum blonde needs to be maintained. But those multitoned colors on the models are meant to look more natural, while at the same time not hiding that they are dye. I think in the past, people wanted to look like their bought and paid for hair color was naturally theirs; now, women change it every couple of months, no problem, no hiding it.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:15 AM

3,404 posts, read 7,250,918 times
I'm wondering this because up until recently I have had a major problem seeing roots on my own self. I used to dye them myself maybe every two weeks. For those who know hair levels, I'm a natural level 4 or 4.5 according to my stylist and I have highlights in my hair ranging from level 6-8.

Last time I did my roots I was kind of disappointed because I liked the root color near my face now. I think its more striking and as soon as I lightened my roots to maybe a level 5 or 6, I felt like I had that inbred blonde look going on.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:04 PM

18,434 posts, read 28,516,023 times
I am very afraid of doing my own color. I have done it twice, and it turned out fine, but then when it grows out, I worry with the touch up because of the fading, etc.

Then I go and spend a stupid amount of money to have it colored by a professional and I hate it.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:10 PM

Well depending on your natural color and what you are trying to acheive it may be possible to do well on your own, pik. I also can be super critical about my hair coloring when I do it myself and when done in the salon by my highly skilled stylist. I guess I have seen way too many bad color jobs.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:29 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,421,193 times
I think it looks more natural that way than the same all over color in a lot of shades. Its like someone already said that summer has passed and then comes in the natural darker roots.

Roots that have a hard definition line...THOSE drive me crazy. I can deal with this look. It is more gentle to the hair too.

Also agree on the dull roots thing. If these is too much of a contrast in color and texture from the natural root to the dyed part..ehhh. Thats not a good look.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:24 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,440,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I want to like ombre and the grown out look but what holds me back is I'm starting a very tight, buttoned-up job soon and I highly doubt these looks work in a professional envirement where I will be dressed business casual and on some days business formal.

I'm a beach bum deep down inside so I get the grown out ombre look but I'm not a fan of the DARK top and orangey bleached bottom. I think it needs to be a bit more subtle. I love this girls hair. She is still in high school I believe but she is very talented with hair and make-up, and does her color herself. If I could pull this hair off with a suit in a conservative office I would do it in a heartbeat. :

Holiday Makeup Tutorial: Sugar Gold Fairy - YouTube
Really? But her color is so blah and washed out. There's no dimension or light to it.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Really? But her color is so blah and washed out. There's no dimension or light to it.

I guess what I like about it is that it works with her natural color coming in. I love having a touch of blonde in my hair but I don't want to think about roots once a month.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:45 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,423,663 times
I don't mind when it's not extreme and can pass for natural. Mine are extreme, because I'm a salt and pepper mixture dyed various shades of blonde/light brown. I push it out as far as I can, choosing hairstyles that cover slight roots, because it costs so much to maintain. But I hate the contrast, and I have to look reasonably professional at work, so I can't let it go too long. I wish I could do it myself, and when I was just covering gray and not changing the color radically I did, but now, I wouldn't dare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty