U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 07:12 PM

3,806 posts, read 4,997,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Interesting. Judging by some of the Japanese erotica my friend forces me to watch (no, seriously lol) this would apply to both men and women.
Yes, he said it was.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:15 PM

408 posts, read 840,005 times
Tinto Brass films made it cool not to remove body hair for women in Europe.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:29 AM

5,901 posts, read 7,944,887 times
Quote:
I've travelled a lot through Asia, and i've noticed that often the women don't shave any body hair off. They don't even shave their legs, including the ones with hairy legs (yes plenty of Asian women are quite hairy). I saw some older women in Sri Lanka with longer leg hair than most guys . I'm not saying they HAVE to, or should be pressured, but it got me wondering about culture/geography and shaving.

It goes from one extreme: epilating everything except head hair, which is probably commonest in North America and northern Europe (I'm wondering if Oz and the UK are on par or slightly behind the US). To doing nothing, which is probably typical of Africa, much of Asia...Southern European, Latin America and more modern parts of Asia seem in between. Like while say, 40% of American women trim, wax or shave their pubic hair, the percent in Japan seems much lower. It seems higher in Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand though. The Brazilian wax is from Brazil yet I hear a lot of Latinas aren't really into removing much body hair either.

The historical perspective is interesting. While removal of underarm hair was almost ubiquitous among women in the US by the 1950s, it wasn't mainstream in say France or China until say the 1970s or 1980s. I saw a middle aged Chinese women with hairy armpits recently.

What have you personally observed?
Latin America NOT shaving??
you clearly never been to Argentina.
In Buenos Aires, removing every little hair that appears anywhere is like an obsession.
Wich goes TOO FAR in my opinion

Old 12-27-2012, 10:25 AM

51,192 posts, read 50,480,930 times
If anyone read Kabul Beauty School, written by an American hairdresser who lived in Afghanistan and taught Afghan women how to run their own beauty salons, she mentions that it is traditional for both the bride and groom in and Afghan wedding to remove all of their public hair before the wedding. They used tweezers to do this, so she introduced waxing.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:55 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,443,887 times
Quote:
I've travelled a lot through Asia, and i've noticed that often the women don't shave any body hair off. They don't even shave their legs, including the ones with hairy legs (yes plenty of Asian women are quite hairy). I saw some older women in Sri Lanka with longer leg hair than most guys . I'm not saying they HAVE to, or should be pressured, but it got me wondering about culture/geography and shaving.

It goes from one extreme: epilating everything except head hair, which is probably commonest in North America and northern Europe (I'm wondering if Oz and the UK are on par or slightly behind the US). To doing nothing, which is probably typical of Africa, much of Asia...Southern European, Latin America and more modern parts of Asia seem in between. Like while say, 40% of American women trim, wax or shave their pubic hair, the percent in Japan seems much lower. It seems higher in Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand though. The Brazilian wax is from Brazil yet I hear a lot of Latinas aren't really into removing much body hair either.

The historical perspective is interesting. While removal of underarm hair was almost ubiquitous among women in the US by the 1950s, it wasn't mainstream in say France or China until say the 1970s or 1980s. I saw a middle aged Chinese women with hairy armpits recently.

What have you personally observed?
I'm American, but different than many women on this board, especially in my age group, but I stick to just shaving my legs and underarms, and leave the rest alone. My husband doesn't remove any of his (except his face) body hair and I prefer him that way (and yes, he prefers me this way, too).

If I'm wearing a bathing suit, I'll trim up a bit so as to look presentable, but the whole Brazilian thing just seems to be a time and money investment not worthwhile to me, although I have no concern if someone wants to do it.

I've been to Europe, and although I didn't go to any nude beaches, it seemed that it was similar there to here (I have been to the UK, Italy, France, the Netherlands, and Germany, all between 2000 and 2008).

Old 12-27-2012, 04:12 PM

846 posts, read 909,158 times
During the summer, sometimes I would shave my arm hairs. But that's me being an empty headed superficial ditzy SoCalifornian and all that s or when I'm hanging around men that I like.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:39 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
If anyone read Kabul Beauty School, written by an American hairdresser who lived in Afghanistan and taught Afghan women how to run their own beauty salons, she mentions that it is traditional for both the bride and groom in and Afghan wedding to remove all of their public hair before the wedding. They used tweezers to do this, so she introduced waxing.
I've heard it's actually quite prevalent in the Middle East. More for their husbands since they cover up in public. You'll rarely find pubic hair becoming public hair over there!

Old 12-28-2012, 09:48 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,440,470 times
Ugh, what a hassle. Why bother beyond enough to avoid bikini protrusions?

Old 12-29-2012, 07:42 PM

6,621 posts, read 11,170,823 times
Shave it all!

Old 12-30-2012, 04:51 PM

1,459 posts, read 2,119,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Shave it all!
Do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.