U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 04:05 PM

955 posts, read 3,257,622 times

Advertisements

how about regular clothes, just in bigger sizes???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 08:36 AM

730 posts, read 2,543,880 times
That would be great, but sometimes "regular" designs do not translate well into large or plus sizes. I work in the fashion industry for a lingerie company and I can give some insight into why it's hard for you plus sized ladies to find a cute bra.

When making a bra in large cup/band sizes, the shape changes the larger you go. Skinny straps can't be used for cups above a DD. Sometimes even the fabric the bra is made of does not come in a width wide enough to accommodate the cup size. Unfortunately it is not just "make it bigger". There are companies out there, Fantasae, Rigby and Peller and others that make beautiful plus size bras.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:22 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,585,112 times
When you scale a design that was intended for a "regular" size person it loses it's umph..
in other words it doesn't look right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusySocialWorker View Post
how about regular clothes, just in bigger sizes???

Old 07-31-2008, 11:13 AM

2,222 posts, read 9,138,912 times
For me, I can't stand the materials used for plus size clothing. Polyester is horrible, it's suffocating. All that synthetic, really stretchy, fluffy, shiny, loud patterned and colored stuff is terrible. I see beautiful clothing for the size 8 woman, but for some reason the plus size clothing is hideous. I don't get it. Lane Bryant, Macy's, Nordstrom, etc. all carry lines of this clothing. I wonder if the designer's themselves would wear this stuff.

So I end up in jeans and a t-shirt most of the time, because it's the only thing that is comfortable. Trying to find something comfortable and pretty when I need to dress up is often very frustrating.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:04 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,713,043 times
Seems to me that you ladies are staring a business opportunity right in the eye...

Old 08-01-2008, 08:38 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,612,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
For me, I can't stand the materials used for plus size clothing. Polyester is horrible, it's suffocating. All that synthetic, really stretchy, fluffy, shiny, loud patterned and colored stuff is terrible. I see beautiful clothing for the size 8 woman, but for some reason the plus size clothing is hideous. I don't get it. Lane Bryant, Macy's, Nordstrom, etc. all carry lines of this clothing. I wonder if the designer's themselves would wear this stuff.

So I end up in jeans and a t-shirt most of the time, because it's the only thing that is comfortable. Trying to find something comfortable and pretty when I need to dress up is often very frustrating.
What is it with the horrible, cheap material????? Just cuz we are plus sized, dosnt mean we are all drag queen wanna-be's!

Old 08-01-2008, 09:03 PM

2,745 posts, read 12,852,605 times
I know I'm the lone freak in this... but I have found some super sexy and SUPPORTIVE bras at Wal-mart of all places. I know, it shocked me too. I'm a 38 DD. I bought a few gorgeous lacy push-up style bras with nice thick straps (lace covered) and wide bands, for $10 each.

Lane Bryant has similar but at 3x the price. I have hand washed my Wally world bras (and I hate Walmart, so this is no fan post) and they are holding up beautifully.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:13 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,612,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I know I'm the lone freak in this... but I have found some super sexy and SUPPORTIVE bras at Wal-mart of all places. I know, it shocked me too. I'm a 38 DD. I bought a few gorgeous lacy push-up style bras with nice thick straps (lace covered) and wide bands, for $10 each.

Lane Bryant has similar but at 3x the price. I have hand washed my Wally world bras (and I hate Walmart, so this is no fan post) and they are holding up beautifully.
ok, please share what brand....... I was there the other day, actually found some nice, everyday bras for $10, theywere just the same as the VS bras I usually buy.
I really need 1 good push up for a special occasion next week!

Old 08-01-2008, 10:15 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,303,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post

And something that I see that bugs me is too short crotch with too long leg in pants.
I see it everywhere. They need to cut the fronts of some pants to contain the tum or it just looks like camel toe city!

When I worked and wore suits I had most of them made. Since Im 16 -18 tall buying them just got to be too much of a hassle. I also became very creative about altering ready made.

I ran into the same thing as you with the pants even when I found them in talls. Heres a solution I came up with. Turn pants inside out and sew a seam +/- 1/2 inch below the existing seam in a "J" shape. Start just in front of the middle of the crotch and add a little more to the curve of the "J" and then taper up the back. When you cut out the old seam your pants will be longer in the rise and shorter in the leg. Just keep doing it until the rise fits.

A word of caution do it in small increments. You dont want your pants crotch to be at your knees. Also make sure your pants are too long or they'll be too short when youre done.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:04 PM

2,745 posts, read 12,852,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
ok, please share what brand....... I was there the other day, actually found some nice, everyday bras for $10, theywere just the same as the VS bras I usually buy.
I really need 1 good push up for a special occasion next week!
"Secret Treasures" Woman, it says on the label.

It looks kind of like this one except the straps on mine are a bit thicker, and I have one in pink and one in black:

http://www.chernobylred.com/braphotos/unalteredbra.jpg

I also have this, from Walmart but I trust it less if you know what I mean... straps are skinnier and I feel like I'm going to fall right out the top so it's best for... um... "around the house" :

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8304165

HTH

Last edited by fierce_flawless; 08-02-2008 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: link was wrong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty