Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 07:40 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I know I'm the lone freak in this... but I have found some super sexy and SUPPORTIVE bras at Wal-mart of all places. I know, it shocked me too. I'm a 38 DD. I bought a few gorgeous lacy push-up style bras with nice thick straps (lace covered) and wide bands, for $10 each.

Lane Bryant has similar but at 3x the price. I have hand washed my Wally world bras (and I hate Walmart, so this is no fan post) and they are holding up beautifully.
Well, I've shopped Wal*Mart bras and being a big-busted girl myself, I cannot find anything that offers the support I need/want. I have even shopped lingerie-only type stores (online and IRL) and the uber stretchy material just cannot handle my assets.

I remember soooooo many years ago I owned a great bra that was made out of a woven poly-cotton material (like sheet material), and had NO stretch to the straps. You could hike those puppies up as high as you wanted and they weren't going anywhere. I'd love to find a bra like THAT again. Lace and all that stuff is nice for those "special occasions" but for every day I would love to have a good, strong bra that really holds up (literally and figuratively).

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 07:57 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
"Secret Treasures" Woman, it says on the label.

It looks kind of like this one except the straps on mine are a bit thicker, and I have one in pink and one in black:

http://www.chernobylred.com/braphotos/unalteredbra.jpg

I also have this, from Walmart but I trust it less if you know what I mean... straps are skinnier and I feel like I'm going to fall right out the top so it's best for... um... "around the house" :

Walmart.com: Smart & Sexy - VIP Bustier: Women

HTH
going to Walmart tomorrow to check it out, the Secret Treasure line are the bras I mentioned in a previous post!
They are JUST like the victorias secret bras I used to buy, but at a fraction of the cost, and they actually last longer..... thanks soooo much!

Old 08-02-2008, 10:06 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
The only bra I wear out of the house is the Playtex 18 hour Lace Wirefree without comfort straps (comfort = stretch = no support). Around the house, while doing housework and sometimes when dropping the kids off at school (but only if I'm not getting out of the car) I wear leisure bras to give my poor shoulders a break.

I'm a 48DD.

I have problems with arms being too tight and shirts being too short. I found these "bra suspenders" that clip to the bottom of my bra and hold up my pants... no matter how well they fit when I put them on, pants and shorts slide down my hourglass frame constantly. (They want to sit in the indent of my waist, which has slid down after 3 kids and a LOT of weight gain/loss/gain/loss/gain/loss/gain, etc)

Old 08-03-2008, 07:00 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, I've shopped Wal*Mart bras and being a big-busted girl myself, I cannot find anything that offers the support I need/want. I have even shopped lingerie-only type stores (online and IRL) and the uber stretchy material just cannot handle my assets.

I remember soooooo many years ago I owned a great bra that was made out of a woven poly-cotton material (like sheet material), and had NO stretch to the straps. You could hike those puppies up as high as you wanted and they weren't going anywhere. I'd love to find a bra like THAT again. Lace and all that stuff is nice for those "special occasions" but for every day I would love to have a good, strong bra that really holds up (literally and figuratively).

20yrsinBranson
That bra you described sounds really cool. Not as in but as in "not hot" in hot weather.

I understand on the stretchy fabrics and most of my other bras were Lane Bryant, but these walmart ones I mentioned are padded and lined (so the lace doesn't itch me) and no stretch. Those puppies stay high and perky when I wear those bras... especially nice with a lower cut top.

You might think I'm nuts but perhaps you should check out vintage bras (New-Old stock maybe?) on eBay, or google it because there are small businesses that cater to folks wanting specialty lingerie. I say that because many of the vintage bras were made of cotton like you describe (like a sheet) or heavy duty satiny acetates. Then again you do get a totally different silhouette which may not be to your liking.

(I used to be a vintage seller on eBay which is why I know)...

Old 08-04-2008, 10:33 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,023,588 times
Has anyone tried the Butterfly Bra from Ashley Stewart?

http://www.ashleystewart.com/AS/butterfly/pressrelease.html (broken link)

Old 08-04-2008, 12:41 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
That bra you described sounds really cool. Not as in but as in "not hot" in hot weather.
I wear sports bras exclusively now for that reason. It's a challenge to find ones that don't mash me into the uni-boob look, but Title 9 and Just My Size have a decent selection.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:36 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I wear sports bras exclusively now for that reason. It's a challenge to find ones that don't mash me into the uni-boob look, but Title 9 and Just My Size have a decent selection.
Yeah, I tend to wear the stretchy cotton knit underwires for every day when it's hot but because of the stretch factor I'm constantly having to tighten the straps.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:07 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,023,588 times
Default To the Curvaceous ones...............

I came across so valuable tips and thought I would l would share

Women's Plus Size Wardrobe Makeover Video - About.com

Old 09-01-2008, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,026 times
Default The Perfect Bra Has Been Found

I am 47 years old and I became a large-busted girl overnight. I started my Freshman year in high school with no period and needing no bra to the end of my Freshman year with a size 36D bust. Growth that fast does not lend itself to lovely breasts without gravity issues. I grew down, not out.

I've spent my entire life since then looking for the perfect bra. Oprah just made me want to scream. Of course I knew you should be wearing the right bra, but where on earth do you find one? And even if you were to find one, what if you couldn't pay $100, or even $50 for your bras?

Ladies, I was a skeptic. I was angry. I was uncomfortable. Now, I am a believer. I have found the perfect bra. I now wear a size 38D. I was a 42DD, but I just lost 45 pounds. I found this bra when I was the larger size and it was the perfect bra at that size. Now, it still is.

The bra? It has already been mentioned here. It cost me $7.95. Here it is:
[URL]http://www.chernobylred.com/braphotos/unalteredbra.jpg[/URL]

I'm telling you, ladies, this is the bra. And yes, it's WalMart. I don't purchase clothes at WalMart. I was at church camp and broke a bra and had to run to the closest place to grab a new one. It was WalMart or nothing. I had no choice. I grabbed this one. Oh, how amazing is this bra.

It is Secret Treasures. Actually, my bra is Secret Treasures Woman, for big-busted girls like me. I found this forum because I didn't know if WalMart still carried this bra and I came online here to see if anyone else carried it, but no - it is a WalMart bra. So I will be heading out to WalMart this on this Labor Day to find a new one. It's the best girls. Check it out.

This is me before I found this bra: This is me after I found the bra:

You should decide which face you want to be.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:53 PM

132 posts, read 390,365 times
Default size 16

im a size 16 but I have a hard time mostly with button up shirts, my breast size is extra big... lol and also I find that low waisted jeans are much more comfortable for me. I like to button below the belly, that way theres no cutting into my belly. Oh and its hard finding a good sized 16 that isnt too dang long!!! I almost always have to hem my pants... i hate that. Its hard to find petite sizes!! Ugh frustrating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty