U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 10:38 AM

160 posts, read 687,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
First of all, hooray for you! I used to be a 22/24, and now wear a 14... and finding nice, cute, flattering plus-size clothing is a real chore! Most plus-size ladies don't necessarily want to HIDE their "flaws," but also prefer not to showcase them. Basically, we want clothing that flatters and flaunts the good stuff, without being a shapeless bag. Here's what I always had/have problems with:

- Tops & dresses that fit large boobies! Even with my weight loss, that's still a major problem, especially with dresses. And on that subject, try to make straps that accommodate thicker bra straps... spaghetti-straps (and low backs) are tough for the curvy ladies, generally speaking.

- Appropriately lengthed skirts and dresses... seems all plus-size dresses go to the floor, or they're way too short. A nice length for most of us is "tea," either right above or below the knee. Oh, and A-line is usually a good shape for those with curves.

- Good office basics, like classic suits, white blouses, little black dresses, etc. I can find funky/trendy stuff, casual, or super "stuffy," but rarely anything in-between... you know, the kind of stuff you'd wear to work, and then to dinner afterwards?

- Formal dresses that don't make us look 60... no offense to those who are 60, but I'm only 31 (this week), and don't need to age myself! We have enough of the "mother-of-the-bride" look, and the pageant queen, so how about some young & trendy formal wear?

Example....
"Old lady / Mother-of-bride"
http://www.amerimark.com/images/5/565/full/56596.jpg (broken link)

More what a 31 year-old (many of us, at least) wants to wear...
http://www.igigi.com/shop/images/product/38725RSNM.jpg (broken link)
http://www.igigi.com/shop/images/product/38795REDM.jpg (broken link)

I completely agree with you. I'm 25 and would love to wear dresses like that and have them easy to find. They are out there right now, but they are all rayon and way too clingy. I'd like something that doesnt cling to my body and show everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 10:40 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,282,457 times
That red dress is something I would wear!

Old 10-23-2007, 11:17 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,585,112 times
So what would you like to see in the office? How do you guys dress in a professional environment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
That red dress is something I would wear!

Old 10-23-2007, 11:43 AM

28,185 posts, read 43,452,271 times
Not sure if I'm allowed to "advertise" here (I'll find out), but those last two dresses are from igigi.com - I know the founder of the company, and they make really nice stuff! Unfortunately it isn't cheap, though... that red dress sells for $175.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:46 AM

28,185 posts, read 43,452,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
So what would you like to see in the office? How do you guys dress in a professional environment?
My job is very casual, so I typically wear a blouse & jeans or slacks... but if I worked somewhere that required "professional wear," I like a classic pant-suit. Something tailored for a plus-size woman, where the jacket is just the right length - usually slightly below the hips is best. It would also be nice to find flattering skirts ("pencil" skirts and a-line ones are good), simple tailored blouses, and stuff like that. Just like what the slim girls are wearing, but cut to flatter our curves!

Here's what I like for professional wear...
Macy*s - Women's - Tahari by ASL Woman Plaid Skirt Suit
Macy*s - Women's - Calvin Klein Woman Three-Button Pinstriped Suit Jacket & Pant (I own a suit like this, made by INC - love it!)

Old 10-23-2007, 11:55 AM

34,549 posts, read 42,708,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Due to illness I have gone from a size 12 to about a size 24/26 and I absolutely hate the style and quality of clothing on offer for"plus" sizes.

I love extremely well tailored clothes, what people would call "timeless classics" and I am getting so frustrated having absolutely nowhere to shop for such items. I love long skirts, well cut blazers, shapely blouses and natural fabrics such as silk, cotton, wool, and tweed so being a plus size is agony as I am reduced to wearing shapeless outfits, in hideous fabrics and materials. I have had some clothes made but there is such a gap in the market for classic women's clothes in larger sizes.

I have no desire to be trendy or fashionable just well dressed and it's virtually impossible to find anything decent.

America is slightly better than the UK for plus sizes but still, I had a good look whilst in California and had no luck finding anything I like. I am tall as well and finding long skirts is impossible.
I cannot help feeling that larger women are supposed to just forget about clothes, and wear shapeless clothes with little sartorial appeal.
It saddens me and I just hope that I can one day go back to my old size just so I can enjoy clothes again...
Moose, I too am tall and Plus-ish sized. Look at Talbots and CJ Banks. They have everything from Petite Reg and Plus, Misses Reg and Tall, and Plus Reg and Tall. You can put together outfits between the departments, so there's a good chance of everything fitting.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:05 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,516,228 times
Thanks Gentlearts, I will certainly have a look.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:01 AM

2,222 posts, read 9,138,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfountaingrl View Post
I completely agree with you. I'm 25 and would love to wear dresses like that and have them easy to find. They are out there right now, but they are all rayon and way too clingy. I'd like something that doesnt cling to my body and show everything.
Clothes for larger ladies are made from disgusting materials. You don't see this in size 12 clothes. Stretchy, clingy, unbreathable, shiney, rough, etc. Yuk! It's like being trapped in a plastic bag.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:48 PM

6 posts, read 23,189 times
My sister, a size 18, loves v necks. She says that the closed neck or turtleneck just make her look like one big blog, but the v neck shows curves where she wants them to be seen. Hope that is helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
I'm a fashion major who want's to specialize in plus size (which is average in the real world) wear and I would like some input from different women in the country. As a plus size person...what articles of clothing do have a hard time finding that look good on you?

Nice tank tops that don't bring attention to your arms. Pants that don't accentuate the "extra" stomach?

What?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:58 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,585,112 times
I agree with your sister and yes this does help, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLeah View Post
My sister, a size 18, loves v necks. She says that the closed neck or turtleneck just make her look like one big blog, but the v neck shows curves where she wants them to be seen. Hope that is helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty