U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-26-2007, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Penobscot Bay, the best place in Maine!
1,891 posts, read 5,147,714 times
Reputation: 2627

Advertisements

I am usually an 18/20, but have a lot of 20/22 stuff, too. I find that the clothes in the 18 range are hard to find- most "regular" clothing stops at 14-16, and plus size stuff starts at 20- it's like that whole size gets skipped on both ends!

I hate that there is such an availibity of plus size clothing that it is either far too frumpy or far too.. showy for me. I like to add a piece from Torrid every now and again, but most of it really doesn't fly for a 35 year old professional. And it seems that A LOT of stuff is geared towards 65 year old grandmas- polyester and elastic band overload! And cutesy sayings and children prints- yuck.

I'd like to find some wide (flare) leg pants that don't have a low-waist. Most fat women do not need to wear pants that ride low and don't stay up well. I found one pair (brand YMI) and LOVE them... but I have to wear them with my platform heels to make up for being so short. (By the way- are you also taking opinions on show wear for the fat-footed? Not a lot in AFFORDABLE and fashionable shoes for wide feet, and if ANYONE can tell me where to get rain boots for wide calves, I would appreciate it! )

MOST IMPORTANTLY, THOUGH! I hate (hate, hate, hate) being charged $5-$10 more for plus size selections from "regular" catalogs- you can't tell me that there isn't a profit differential between ALL sizes, that a size 12 jean doesn't cost more to make than a size 4- if they (clothing complanies) want to play fair, each size (according to how much fabric it used) should have it's own price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-27-2007, 06:52 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,185 posts, read 43,461,725 times
Reputation: 18568
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
MOST IMPORTANTLY, THOUGH! I hate (hate, hate, hate) being charged $5-$10 more for plus size selections from "regular" catalogs- you can't tell me that there isn't a profit differential between ALL sizes, that a size 12 jean doesn't cost more to make than a size 4- if they (clothing complanies) want to play fair, each size (according to how much fabric it used) should have it's own price.
AMEN, sister!! If they charge extra for a plus-size, they'd better charge less for an x-small versus a large (and so forth)... my sister wears an XS, and they don't have as much fabric as medium, large, x-large, etc. So to charge the plus-sizes more is unfair, and bordering on prejudiced. Poo-poo to them. That was one of the best parts of getting down to a 12/14, since now I don't pay the "fat tax," as I call it... no offense, LOL, but that's how it felt when I was a 22!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2007, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Emerald Coast, FL
51 posts, read 215,412 times
Reputation: 39
I wish I could find dress pants and dresses that fit the right way. I don't want pants to taper toward the bottom of my leg. I'm 20. That look went out a LOOOONG time ago. I'm also short and can never find pants that are short enough or sometimes they're too short and look like highwaters. Also, dresses--I think--shouldn't be so...how do I put it? Clingy. I mean, if you have a good figure but you're just bigger, that's fine, but I've got places that I don't need amplified, you know? I'd like a nice sundress that 1. doesn't make me look pregnant, 2. doesn't hit between my ankles and knees, 3. doesn't hit too high above my knees (4" or more), and 4. doesn't look like something a snow-bird would wear to the beach over her bathing suit. Once again, I'm 20 years old. I want to look cute, sophisticated, classy.

Another thing is that I can't find "nighttime" clothes. I mean, don't get me wrong, Lane Bryant has very nice things. I just can't ever find flattering "club" clothes to go out with the girls in. Obviously you can look at me and tell that I'm overweight, but some of the dress-casual clothes out there make me actually look like the fat girl of the group. Also, whoever thought that draping shiny fabric over a fat woman would look good has probably got a secret fetish for tents, banners, flags, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 09:45 AM
 
1,271 posts, read 3,585,577 times
Reputation: 581
I love and understand your passion . I asked one of my instructors about the "tax" and was told that a lot of it has to do with the price margin of the store's customer base itself. If a store has apparel between sizes 2-20 and the average customer is buying a size 12, what it cost to make that size twelve is that is going to dictate what the costs for the other sizes (above and below) will be. The problem is that when it comes time to have the bigger sizes manufactured that cost is not going to fully cover the sizes because they are going to require more fabric, which is why the stores end up charging more. Does that make sense?

If you go to a store that specializes in Plus size apparel usually the costs are the same across the board. From my experience it's usually the store who is kind of across the board with their sizes (ie Walmart) that impose the so called "fat tax". Have you noticed that?

I'm assuming store owners don't want to be know as just Plus Size stores and as a result they stay somewhere in the middle which unfortunatly means paying higher prices depending on your size.


Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
I am usually an 18/20, but have a lot of 20/22 stuff, too. I find that the clothes in the 18 range are hard to find- most "regular" clothing stops at 14-16, and plus size stuff starts at 20- it's like that whole size gets skipped on both ends!

I hate that there is such an availibity of plus size clothing that it is either far too frumpy or far too.. showy for me. I like to add a piece from Torrid every now and again, but most of it really doesn't fly for a 35 year old professional. And it seems that A LOT of stuff is geared towards 65 year old grandmas- polyester and elastic band overload! And cutesy sayings and children prints- yuck.

I'd like to find some wide (flare) leg pants that don't have a low-waist. Most fat women do not need to wear pants that ride low and don't stay up well. I found one pair (brand YMI) and LOVE them... but I have to wear them with my platform heels to make up for being so short. (By the way- are you also taking opinions on show wear for the fat-footed? Not a lot in AFFORDABLE and fashionable shoes for wide feet, and if ANYONE can tell me where to get rain boots for wide calves, I would appreciate it! )

MOST IMPORTANTLY, THOUGH! I hate (hate, hate, hate) being charged $5-$10 more for plus size selections from "regular" catalogs- you can't tell me that there isn't a profit differential between ALL sizes, that a size 12 jean doesn't cost more to make than a size 4- if they (clothing complanies) want to play fair, each size (according to how much fabric it used) should have it's own price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 09:49 AM
 
1,271 posts, read 3,585,577 times
Reputation: 581
Default Another website I found.

I am not familiar with this site but I have an opinion about some of the things I saw and would love to hear some of your opinions.


b&lu - plus size fashions - bandlu.com (http://www.bandlu.com/cat.asp?page=1 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Lakeview, Chicago
435 posts, read 1,175,881 times
Reputation: 362
In general, please design clothes that aren't boxy and made of tacky fabrics. With the exception of Jones New York, Ralph Lauren and a few others, clothes are poorly made, not stylish and made of cheap fabric. Thankfully, I'm about 10 pounds from being in a solid 14 so I can shop in the non-fat lady departments. They can call the departments something fabulous like "Women of Distinction" or "Big and Beautiful"...stolen from a Designing Women episode...or whatever they want but it's still the fat lady department to me. I was at an event and heard another woman talking with her daughter about how she needed to get over to Macy's to check out their fat lady department so it's not just me and my family who call it that...

Clothes that are made well with better fabric will last longer. Better to spend more money on fewer items that will hold up and drape your body better.

I also agree with the "no elastic waists" person. Yikes! Those are terrible. Obviously, we all have different bodies so no single size 16 pant will fit everyone in the same way. That's what tailors are for! Spend a few bucks to feel like a million bucks!

Lane Bryant is the worst! Boxy, cheap crap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 12:17 PM
 
6,764 posts, read 19,285,586 times
Reputation: 4664
I have been going crazy simply trying to find a nice interview suit! I finally found a skirt at JC Penney's and a top at Fashion Bug. I hope they work together..
I saw some nice things today at Fashion Bug. I used to go there when I lived in NY now I moved to VT/NH area. This Fashion Bug is quite good--full of nice sweaters and so on.

It seems ages since I bought a few things for myself!!(it has been). I order once or twice a year 'dire necessities' from Lane Bryant (Known Now as Woman Within).

Still, it's nice to try on clothes. But it is so frustrating. I said to my husband, I do not get why finding clothes for me is so hard! He's average weight and has problems, too.

I know LB is not everyone's favorite but they make bigger clothes in cotton..not bad polyester..what the hell is up with that? I will not wear 'polyester..!"

It's just an journey (exhaustive) to shop plus be on a budget! The other option--lose weight..!

Oh, if you are designing...make some nicer bras for 'bigger ladies'--we'd like all those cute funkey options as well as the ones for the ladies wearing A and B cups!!!

Last edited by GypsySoul22; 11-29-2007 at 12:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 06:29 PM
 
Location: CO
187 posts, read 557,701 times
Reputation: 146
Default Great black pants???!

I am too a plus size and Iam looking for a great comfortable black pant. I have to wear black and Im 5'8" and about a size 24. I hate wide leg, and i have long legs so I hate them short too. I have wore an elastic waist for so long Its hard for me to be comfortable in anything else
Any answers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2007, 05:04 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,185 posts, read 43,461,725 times
Reputation: 18568
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurbell View Post
I am too a plus size and Iam looking for a great comfortable black pant. I have to wear black and Im 5'8" and about a size 24. I hate wide leg, and i have long legs so I hate them short too. I have wore an elastic waist for so long Its hard for me to be comfortable in anything else
Any answers?
Have you tried the Semantiks brand? They're kinda pricey, but I LOVE how they fit. I'm a size 14, but 5'6" with long legs, and they fit beautifully... cut with a straight, narrow leg, which is better for professional dress. I got mine at Nordstrom, but it's possible other dept. stores carry them too. Another suggestion is the Lane Bryant pants (Houston & Dallas are two names, I think), but they tend to be a wider leg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2007, 05:13 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,185 posts, read 43,461,725 times
Reputation: 18568
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Oh, if you are designing...make some nicer bras for 'bigger ladies'--we'd like all those cute funkey options as well as the ones for the ladies wearing A and B cups!!!
OMG, that is SUCH an annoyance for me! I wear a size that's very hard to find already (38DDD), let alone in a cute style. Do they think women with big boobs don't enjoy looking nice or sexy?? You'd think the opposite, since we have more to show off!

The only ones that fit, support, and don't hurt or itch, are the plainest bras you can imagine... even Lane Bryant only carries the cute ones up to DD, so I'm always stuck with "smooth performance" in boring colors. Either that or the Wacoal brand, which is literally what my 90 year-old grandma wears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top