Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 10:05 PM

105 posts, read 399,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Am I the only one here with a (relatively) flat chest and a big butt?? I'm a misses 16 on top, and a women's 24 on bottom. Padded bras are my friend, because I have to buy a blouse that's 3 sizes larger than I need just to pull it around my hips.

I've always loved short blazers for that reason. Wearing a thigh-length blazer or sweater only calls attention to the big butt.

Ditto on the pockets, in all sizes. Why do designers think that women don't need pockets?? Argh.
I have the same issue.....it seems all designers who make plsu sze items think if your plus size then you have a D cup. Not true....I am a b cup with small wast to match and major booty and thigh action going on. What works BEST on me is A line dresses fitted to my boobs and waist that flair drastically to compensate for my big booty and thighs. I can get away with a size 12 dress if the dress fits snug up top and flowy down bottom. Its my style of choice and dare say it....many guys go for it....I am guessing they can not tell I weigh 210 because my top features stand out...boobs, waist and good legs and that sassy attitude that come with feel ptetty too

So try a sundress- A line type style....i wasnt into dresses until I saw firsthand what they did for me....and the impact on the surrounding men they had....i love them now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 04:37 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,012,847 times
Sounds like you got it all covered

Wonderful feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRT View Post
I have the same issue.....it seems all designers who make plsu sze items think if your plus size then you have a D cup. Not true....I am a b cup with small wast to match and major booty and thigh action going on. What works BEST on me is A line dresses fitted to my boobs and waist that flair drastically to compensate for my big booty and thighs. I can get away with a size 12 dress if the dress fits snug up top and flowy down bottom. Its my style of choice and dare say it....many guys go for it....I am guessing they can not tell I weigh 210 because my top features stand out...boobs, waist and good legs and that sassy attitude that come with feel ptetty too

So try a sundress- A line type style....i wasnt into dresses until I saw firsthand what they did for me....and the impact on the surrounding men they had....i love them now!

Old 12-26-2007, 03:36 PM

160 posts, read 772,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
I am not familiar with this site but I have an opinion about some of the things I saw and would love to hear some of your opinions.

b&lu - plus size fashions - bandlu.com (http://www.bandlu.com/cat.asp?page=1 - broken link)

My opinion of these clothes:

On the New Arrivals page, there is a top called the Elyse Top- that would make me look pregnant. I dont need an elastic under my boobs...and made of elastic and rayon. NO THANKS!!!!

Some of the short sleeve tops are nice, but the others (along with the long sleeve) are the same as above- elastic, rayon, pleats in bad spots...

My fav thing on the site- the skirts.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:42 AM

291 posts, read 1,072,959 times
Quote:
I understand your frustration and I don't understand why it's so difficult to have more body friendly attire for plus size women. I understand there are costs involved in creating patterns where you will use more material and that plus size women come in a variety of shapes (legs, arms, shoulders, stomach) but you'd think there would be more out there than it is. I'm dedicated to creating a plus size line that is figure flattering, and affordable so it won't be such a hassle for women to find what they need.
Maybe you can try to get a bunch of plus sized women with different body types to to serve as fit models and name a line after each of them so that your buyers can click the body type (if you plan to have a website that is) that most resembles them and select the clothes cut for their shape? If you're going to have a store, a free onsite alterations service would win you tons of fans I'm sure. I'm not plus-size, but I can definitely share everyone's aggravation with finding clothes that are both appropriate and fit properly!

Old 12-28-2007, 04:00 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,012,847 times
Hmmm... interesting ideas.

Thanks for the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Riley View Post
Maybe you can try to get a bunch of plus sized women with different body types to to serve as fit models and name a line after each of them so that your buyers can click the body type (if you plan to have a website that is) that most resembles them and select the clothes cut for their shape? If you're going to have a store, a free onsite alterations service would win you tons of fans I'm sure. I'm not plus-size, but I can definitely share everyone's aggravation with finding clothes that are both appropriate and fit properly!

Old 02-19-2008, 05:19 PM

2 posts, read 10,170 times
get some of your stuff into Canada..theres NOOOO nice plus size clothes here and I would order them from the states but shipping is absoloutely redic. I found a shirt for $10 on an american based site I wanted to buy..shipping was more than double the cost of the shirt. What am I supposed to do? Go naked? Also..younger looking plus size clothes would be lovely. not everyone fat is also old.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:23 PM

2 posts, read 10,170 times
I agree..its hard to find cute shirts that cover up my arms..Especially in the summer time. I DREAD summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfountaingrl View Post
One of my main issues is finding pants. I cant buy pants at lane bryant because my waist is plus size, but I have NO butt, and semi chunky thighs... pants that fit my waist are way too big in the butt and thighs, and the crotch of the pants hangs way too far down down so it looks so bad, really bad.

I agree with the arms on short sleeve shirts. I also hate wearing tank tops because of my arms as well.

I'll let you know what else I can come up with

Old 02-21-2008, 12:20 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,987,597 times
Quote:
So what would you like to see in the office? How do you guys dress in a professional environment?

I have to wear black slacks or khaki slacks. I would love to find a pair that fits over my hips but I'm not walking the bottoms off of. Also POCKETS POCKETS POCKETS!!!! I'm in sales and can't carry a purse with me (I don't own one anyway) and need a place to put my business cards and pens and such. (I have a cute collapsing pen that is the perfect size for a pocket)

Old 02-21-2008, 08:27 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,905,735 times
I have big arms... designers seem to think we fat women have skinny arms. I have to buy shirts 2 sizes larger just to get the arms to fit. I order most of my clothes online... everything (tops) in the stores is too short.

If you want a list of where to buy online, PM me and I'll put together a short list. One thing I do when I order before I hit "Checkout" is google the store's name and "Promo code"... I almost ALWAYS get a coupon of some type.

I got a new catalog in the mail yesterday. Some of the items are cute, they use real plus size models (not just proportional size 12's) but they're real expensive. Anyone have a heads up on the quality of "MakingItBig" vs "Roamans" or "Woman Within"?

I learned the hard way to watch the fabric descriptions ... rayon plus polyester = ITCHY!

And for pants... I buy them a bit big, have them hemmed at the dry cleaners (I've since learned to do this myself) and I use these clips. When I was younger, I handmade a set of suspenders to wear under my shirts with some elastic and these little clips... it worked well with my dress/work clothes, but were a pain when I had to go potty. I recently found these little things... they clip to the bottom of your bra and the top of your pants... now I can wear my "support undergarments" and my dress pants don't slide off or slip down all day long.

Last edited by sskkc; 02-21-2008 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: added

Old 02-21-2008, 08:11 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,823,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Riley View Post
great idea! I am 5'10" and wear an 18w. I have a small waist for my size, and I actually do have a figure. most of the clothes I see in my size seem to have been fitted on a bale of hay.
I would love to see some well made clothing! Throw in real fabric, not synthetic nastiness, and I would be a faithful customer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty