Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 07:14 PM

119 posts, read 517,453 times

Advertisements

I agree with the comment about finding something that for the younger crowd. I also have a hard time finding clothes for myself that don't look like my grandma would wear them! I am only 26, I don't want to dress like I'm 50, just because I'm bigger than the girl who can shop in a Juniors store, ya know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 03:40 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,022,429 times
I thought this was some good advice to share......

Nina Garcia - Don't Hide Under Layers | Videos | Project Runway (http://video.bravotv.com/player/?id=198965 - broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
I'm a fashion major who want's to specialize in plus size (which is average in the real world) wear and I would like some input from different women in the country. As a plus size person...what articles of clothing do have a hard time finding that look good on you?

Nice tank tops that don't bring attention to your arms. Pants that don't accentuate the "extra" stomach?

What?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:40 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Why would I take clothing advice from someone wearing that ridiculously low-cut a top? I'm sure people look at her when she walks down the street in it, but I'm also pretty sure it's because they think she's going to fall out of it any step now and want to see the trainwreck that results.

Also, bringing Kate Moss into the discussion? Why? What fashion lesson can a heavier woman learn from Kate "Fashion Victim Thin" Moss?

Old 07-17-2008, 11:24 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,022,429 times
Despite the fact that she is skinny, what she said still holds a lot of truth to it. Just because you are a heavier woman doesn't mean you have to wear layers upon layers of clothes. Like she said, accentuating our curves is what we should be doing, not acting ashamed to walk the planet. This is what I hope to accomplish with my line, women of all sizes should feel good about themselves.

As far as Kate Moss, she was referencing the "effortless" look, which is something that applies to everyone, big or small.There is nothing worse IMO than someone who looks like she is trying to hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Why would I take clothing advice from someone wearing that ridiculously low-cut a top? I'm sure people look at her when she walks down the street in it, but I'm also pretty sure it's because they think she's going to fall out of it any step now and want to see the trainwreck that results.

Also, bringing Kate Moss into the discussion? Why? What fashion lesson can a heavier woman learn from Kate "Fashion Victim Thin" Moss?

Last edited by Bjones1976; 07-17-2008 at 11:48 AM..

Old 07-18-2008, 10:04 AM

365 posts, read 1,252,812 times
<<I am usually an 18/20, but have a lot of 20/22 stuff, too. I find that the clothes in the 18 range are hard to find- most "regular" clothing stops at 14-16, and plus size stuff starts at 20- it's like that whole size gets skipped on both ends! >>

Yes, why is that? I have the same problem. I can wear 14/16 tops in some styles, but the bottoms have to be 18/20. It seems most clothing store sizes stop at 14, and the plus-size stores start at 20.

My biggest gripe is that I buy pants to fit my waist, but then the legs look like clown pants. Why are the legs soo bigggggg?????

Fabric also is always a problem. I hate synthetics, but it's those horrid big PRINTS that make me so angry that I have literally just walked out of the store in a huff. I mean, really, big bright flowers or geometrics all over a puffed-sleeve polyester top? Are they kidding?

I would love to see more tailored clothes. I'd be so happy if I could just own a long tailored skirt, pants, jacket or blazer, and simple, well-fitting tailored blouse. I would be willing to spend money on it and compliment it with mix and match tops and scarves and be sooooo happpyyyyy!!!!!

Old 07-18-2008, 08:25 PM

92 posts, read 512,243 times
I am an older woman and I am retired, so I no longer have to worry about work clothes.

But I think that the range of shapes in plus size women is much greater that for the more slender ladies. Some larger women are big in the chest and some are big in the hips. Some are big all over, but still shapely and some are more round. That makes it difficult to design plus-sized clothing to please everyone.

Myself, I prefer long tops, at least 30 inches long. While I am really an 18-20, I usually buy size 22-24 in tops because the tops that size are an inch or so longer. I don't mind the extra room because I hate clingy stuff.

So that's another peeve--cheap fabric that clings to the bosom. I want fabric with a little heft--it hangs much better.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:53 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,656 times
I don't know if anyone else mentioned this one but I was just talking to my daughter (not a plus size) but I am (16) and have larger breasts - I can't find a bathing suit top to fit correctly!! I would love to buy a two piece and don't because of the top always being too small,everything falls out the sides!! My SO loves it but I don't LOL

Old 07-26-2008, 09:01 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Default Hurry Up & Get Started I NEED You!

I hate the tops that have the little gathering right under the boobs so you look 5 months pregnant. I have pretty nice boobs and my stomach is sorta-flat (for a plus sized girl) it's the pouch under my stomach that sends me to plus-sized stores.

I also hate the layered look, which Lane Bryant seems to carry a lot of. I'm already big - why would want to look like I'm wearing two shirts? Stores like Lane Bryant, Avenue and Catherines depress me.

I'm 24 and it's so hard for me to find club clothes - everything I find is either overdressed or just tacky. When i do find something it's very expensive and after a while I just stopped going out to dressier clubs and had to resort to the tennybopper 18 and up clubs where there's no dress code.

I love this dress. I saw it at Ashley Stewart but they only had sizes 12 and 14. I don't really like to shop online because I don't know what size I wear. In Lane Bryant clothes I'm an 16, at Cato's I can be a 16 - 18. At stores like Wal-mart or Target I'm almost always a 20. So I have to try on the clothes.

http://www.ashleystewart.com/images/catalog/detail/AS_5079MLT_ANIMAL-PRINT.JPG (broken link)

Old 07-26-2008, 10:24 PM

285 posts, read 901,703 times
Very pretty dress. I would like more fitted clothes. We get a few dress jackets it would be nice to have that also, in shirts/tops. I liked some of Emme's but I could not afford it.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:30 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,449,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
I have to wear black slacks or khaki slacks. I would love to find a pair that fits over my hips but I'm not walking the bottoms off of. Also POCKETS POCKETS POCKETS!!!! I'm in sales and can't carry a purse with me (I don't own one anyway) and need a place to put my business cards and pens and such. (I have a cute collapsing pen that is the perfect size for a pocket)
I only have one pair of jeans that aren't tattered on the bottom. And that's because they're new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty