U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 08:37 AM

10,903 posts, read 5,118,070 times

Advertisements

Apply your eyeshadow with water like paint and it stays all day, blends great and you never have flakes or crease problems. I discovered this 30 years ago and use a small flat brush - wet the brush and wipe across the shadow, then apply. If you don't like it, just use a wet tissue or q-tip to remove. I use a wet finger to add under brow high-kites. To add intensity, just keep adding more. You may have to play with it a bit to get the technique down.

I first started using eye shadows 'wet' because of my contact lenses (powder dust was a killer), but quickly found that using this method gives great results with almost any brand. It has allowed me to look for 'color' and pay no attention to brands. I've found Revlon powder eyeshadows to work best with water over the years, but good results with most brands or even non-brand multi cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 09:20 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,268,882 times
I'm 24 but Dior is for all ages

My favorite eye shadow ever was from dior. It was a duo palette with a matte brown and a shimmery peach.

Since I can't afford that right now, MAC is the next best thing. They generally attract a younger customer (18-40?) but most professional make-up artists use MAC and the products are good quality.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:48 PM

14,072 posts, read 20,178,184 times
MAC only here

Old 12-24-2012, 01:54 PM

11,444 posts, read 19,482,877 times
One other point you brought up -- containers. I have arthitis in my thumb joints located in my palms. Some of these containers are just ridiculously difficult to open, and cause sharp pains. I just can't buy those cosmetics. So when I'm looking for stuff I check that.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:24 PM

3,043 posts, read 6,312,833 times
I like clinique but I understand $ issue. If you get touch base for under the shadow I find you don't need much actual powder shadow. It really helps it to stay on too

Old 12-24-2012, 10:04 PM

748 posts, read 1,359,375 times
When I was using makeup Urban Decay and MAC shadows were my favorite. You got Naked? You will adore it! I have both Naked and Naked 2 and those pallets have the most beautiful shades of neutral shadows ever.

Old 12-25-2012, 05:57 AM

3,225 posts, read 6,132,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I've totally given up drugstore brands, except for lipstick. The last thing I bought was the "highly pigmented" HIP Loreal dark brown/gold duo -- and the lady at the drug store warned me how dark it was.

Well -- the gold was.... which I never intended to use. On my pink skin gold is a horrible color. The brown -- so dark dark dark in the pan -- went on a light cocoa. And didn't want to blend.

That was when I announced I was done.

But that meant I had to SHOP. Which I HATE. With my bad knees trudging all over cement floors -- painful.

So I ordered an Urban Decay liner pencil (really nice) and the matte Too Faced eye collection from Sephora.

I'm so happy with them, I can't say enough. Real color that lasts. Fading wasn't never the problem for me -- I'm blonde and pale and not even the darkest drug store stuff would even SHOW UP on me.

Supposedly there is an Ulta opening very near me... so I can indulge a little more... my last tube of mascara wasn't very good either -- after years of using Loreal Voluminous...
How do you like the matte Two Faced palette? I've been eyeing it for a while now. I pretty much stick with matte or satin formulas by MAC but the Two Faced matte looks like a nice set for an everyday, professional look.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:18 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,526,826 times
Hands down the best eyeshadow out there is Shiseido. I also like Guerlain but they are a bit more spendy. Also at Sephora look for NARS eye primer-this will help ANY eyeshadow last all day.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:11 PM

11,444 posts, read 19,482,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
How do you like the matte Two Faced palette? I've been eyeing it for a while now. I pretty much stick with matte or satin formulas by MAC but the Two Faced matte looks like a nice set for an everyday, professional look.
I'm loving it. I was worried about the yellowish shadow at the top being to yellow -- but it's a sheer highlighter -- I still won't use it much, not my color, but the others are great. They included a trial size of a product that's supposed to intensify the colors, but I don't like really intense colors. I wear glasses and my glasses are intense colors.

Except for the yellow, which is called Iced Suede, and is more yellow than I thought from the screen -- I'm a very much a cool neutral, and this would be more a warm neutral -- all of them show up nicely. And no glitter. It's getting harder to find stuff with no glitter. I'm too old for glitter.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:39 PM

29,634 posts, read 31,979,723 times
NYX. I won't even bother putting anything else on my eyes and for the cost of a MAC...well do the math.

My daughter is home for Christmas and we just went through all my cosmetics and I gave her a few NYX eyeshadows in colors that are more flattering on her than on me. She usually wears Urban Decay Naked II and now really likes the NYX as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty