Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 05:12 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,229,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimac20 View Post
in advertising, films, or hell, even in real life. In my younger days, it was like a candy shop but now, i think i've become sort of de-sensitized, or it's not a big deal, so why should i be complaining, right? I still find women sexy, but seeing them constantly has made it seem less special. Maybe the muslims were onto something, lol jk.

I don't know, i probably sound like an old school feminist, but it just seems almost corny to see scantily clad women everywhere. It's like they're trying too hard to be sexy. To me that can make them seem less sexy. Having effortless sex appeal that doesn't just depend on your dress but your whole attitude/drive... Or in real life when they go out clubbing, the way they flaunt it, like you can see their panties or whatnot. I feel like a dirty old man perving on them but you kinda feel that's their intention...getting back to it, what makes it stranger is that men are seldom portrayed this way, except maybe being topless. There should be more equality in how men vs women are portrayed. Also women are shown everywhere: Have a look at magazines, cosmopolitan and fhm are both like 80-90% photos of women, it's like beauty is totally dominated by female beauty. People say it's changing but not as much as you'd think. anyway wondering if anyone else can relate, haha.
no
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 01:50 PM

896 posts, read 1,475,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
In advertising, films, or hell, even in real life. In my younger days, it was like a candy shop but now, I think I've become sort of de-sensitized, or it's not a big deal, so why should I be complaining, right? I still find women sexy, but seeing them constantly has made it seem less special. Maybe the Muslims were onto something, lol jk.

I don't know, I probably sound like an old school feminist, but it just seems almost corny to see scantily clad women everywhere. It's like they're trying too hard to be sexy. To me that can make them seem LESS sexy. Having effortless sex appeal that doesn't just depend on your dress but your whole attitude/drive... Or in real life when they go out clubbing, the way they flaunt it, like you can see their panties or whatnot. I feel like a dirty old man perving on them but you kinda feel that's their intention...Getting back to it, what makes it stranger is that men are seldom portrayed this way, except maybe being topless. There should be more equality in how men vs women are portrayed. Also women are shown everywhere: have a look at magazines, Cosmopolitan and FHM are both like 80-90% photos of women, it's like beauty is totally dominated by female beauty. People say it's changing but not as much as you'd think. Anyway wondering if anyone else can relate, haha.
Rethink that "straight" thing you have going.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:08 PM

270 posts, read 702,953 times
OP, all I would say is that there are plenty of fish in the sea. You don't like what you've seen so far, keep swimming 'till you find your Nemo.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:31 PM

599 posts, read 2,088,292 times
Honestly, I think that we have the warped idea that showing 90 percent of your flesh is a sign of "liberation." Many women---even at work---just look trashy. I've seen women go to work with a tube top under a blazer and think that this is business professional attire.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:48 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,776,905 times
Interesting, interesting. So many threads are dedicated to praising women who openly give the finger to convention, who boldly declare they don't give two hoots what you think and anyone who does care is sad and pathetic.

And then there are just as many threads dedicated to what is essentially sloot shaming women who show too much skin or cleavage or midriff or who wear short skirts. Interesting, interesting.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:38 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,835,335 times
I am sick of people of all genders wearing the wrong clothing for the occasion.

I got a family holiday photo and some of the young women were wearing outfits that were appropriate for the club. Not the family photo in my book.

You don't need to look like you are going to an ultra conservative church or a funeral but I thought it was weird to see the freakum dress in the photo meant to send out to a wide range of relatives.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:49 PM

406 posts, read 1,038,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Interesting, interesting. So many threads are dedicated to praising women who openly give the finger to convention, who boldly declare they don't give two hoots what you think and anyone who does care is sad and pathetic.

And then there are just as many threads dedicated to what is essentially sloot shaming women who show too much skin or cleavage or midriff or who wear short skirts. Interesting, interesting.
Why can't men (and women) leave women alone?!

Old 12-24-2012, 05:59 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,128,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabaghoul View Post
Why can't men (and women) leave women alone?!
Exactly! Who cares what women wear?

Seriously...

Old 12-24-2012, 06:08 PM

24,544 posts, read 55,993,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestOne1 View Post
Rethink that "straight" thing you have going.
Oh yeah thanks for letting me know, am I turned on for guys, let me check...Nope, still not.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:10 PM

24,544 posts, read 55,993,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Exactly! Who cares what women wear?

Seriously...
Clearly, a lot of people do, men and women, for all kinds of reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty