U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 10:50 AM

13,295 posts, read 12,343,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
How you dress is a reflection on your intentions. If you go to work with T and A hanging out the preception is your here to pickup men not pursue a career.
So which is it? A reflection of the wearer's intentions or the perception of the viewer? Those are two distinctly different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 11:09 AM

7,497 posts, read 9,274,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyCurious View Post
Where have you seen this prevail?
At least every other person (man or woman) does this where I live. It is very strange. I just figure other people must be more warm-blooded than I am and don't even notice it. That's the most logical explanation I have.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:51 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,252,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
At least every other person (man or woman) does this where I live. It is very strange. I just figure other people must be more warm-blooded than I am and don't even notice it. That's the most logical explanation I have.

Miami? I think I remember you from the Miami forum.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:22 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,423,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
So which is it? A reflection of the wearer's intentions or the perception of the viewer? Those are two distinctly different things.

Both present a problem in the real world. Its just kinda naive to think men are so evolved they won't react to the type of dress that highlights your gender's sexuality.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:25 AM

2,141 posts, read 2,452,575 times
Whatever, I'm sure a lot of women are tired of people dictating how they feel they are supposed to dress. It's like they women are supposed to be living for everyone else except themselves.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Whatever, I'm sure a lot of women are tired of people dictating how they feel they are supposed to dress. It's like they women are supposed to be living for everyone else except themselves.

Uhhh. I don't want to see men or womens butt cheeks hanging out thank you very much.

Its called society. You can always go run naked through the jungles hunting for your own food if you think its so bad.

Everyone is doing something for someone else. Its how a community/group works.

It wouldn't be a problem to me if it did not result in negative behavior in men and women. But it does.
So it falls under the general rule of being generally bad because of people that can't handle it responsibly.

If you want to be the nail that sticks out..be prepared for the hammer. Its just how it works.
Even in the animal kingdom.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:49 AM

8,575 posts, read 13,455,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Uhhh. I don't want to see men or womens butt cheeks hanging out thank you very much.

Its called society. You can always go run naked through the jungles hunting for your own food if you think its so bad.

It wouldn't be a problem to me if it did not result in negative behavior in men and women. But it does.
So it falls under the general rule of being generally bad because of people that can't handle it responsibly.

If you want to be the nail that sticks out..be prepared for the hammer. Its just how it works.
The real truth is Women are a slave for fashion, nothing new there. Why do women feel they need 40 pars of shoes, 50, belts and 40 scarves, along with a Back closet full of stuff they will never wear again.If the style was to wear a skirt cut to the crotch, with see through underwear they would buy and wear it. This all fashion thing is what drives the saying " born to shop", so, come on get real ! Women dress for each other, not for men. If that were so they would wear nothing at all under that Faux fur overcoat !

Old 12-26-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The real truth is Women are a slave for fashion, nothing new there. Why do women feel they need 40 pars of shoes, 50, belts and 40 scarves, along with a Back closet full of stuff they will never wear again.If the style was to wear a skirt cut to the crotch, with see through underwear they would buy and wear it. This all fashion thing is what drives the saying " born to shop", so, come on get real ! Women dress for each other, not for men. If that were so they would wear nothing at all under that Faux fur overcoat !
LOL

I don't know why they do that. I don't load up like that and never did.
HATE clutter.
There are TONS of styles out there I wouldn't be caught dead in that are considered "fashionable"

Brainless are slaves to material gain without reason. It applies to both sexes in various areas of material interest.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:38 AM

2,141 posts, read 2,452,575 times
There is a happy medium between total nudity and a burka and it's up to the individual to determine where they fall along the spectrum. If the outfit is totally inappropriate for work then it's up to that person's boss to state so. If the person is not at work then it's up to them and if they can't stand the attention then I guess they will modify their dress. Some people will never be satisfied no matter what the woman has on because their perception is based on their upbringing and religion is also a factor.

For example: there is a large population of middle Eastern men who run the corner stores in NYC. If you make eye contact with them and have your elbows exposed that's too much for some of them. So because they come from a place where women are covered from head to toe I should have to adjust to their standards because they don't have any manners? As long as the person isn't breaking any nudity laws then it's really about the losers who aren't satisfied to live and let live and they feel like the whole world needs to fall in line with their opinions.

Trimac is obviously disturbed by having to look at what he can't have. That poster makes numerous posts about his lack of success with the opposite sex. So what is this really about? Is he genuinely offended or is it just more sour grapes as usual from that poster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post

Last edited by Jasper03; 12-26-2012 at 10:52 AM..

Old 12-26-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
There is a happy medium between total nudity and a burka and it's up to the individual to determine where they fall along the spectrum. If the outfit is totally inappropriate for work then it's up to that person's boss to state so. If the person is not at work then it's up to them and if they can't stand the attention then I guess they will modify their dress. Some people will never be satisfied no matter what the woman has on because their perception is based on their upbringing and religion is also a factor.

For example: there is a large population of middle Eastern men who run the corner stores in NYC. If you make eye contact with them and have your elbows exposed that's too much for some of them. So because they come from a place where women are covered from head to toe I should have to adjust to their standards because they don't have any manners? As long as the person isn't breaking any nudity laws then it's really about the losers who aren't satisfied to live and let live and they feel like the whole world needs to fall in line with their opinions.

Trimac is obviously disturbed by having to look at what he can't have. That poster makes numerous posts about his lack of success with the opposite sex. So what is this really about? Is he genuinely offended or is it just more sour grapes as usual from that poster?

I don't know. I feel the way i do regardless of the OP's reasons.

I agree there is a happy medium. Part of the attention you get that you are not fishing for is judgement though.

With the corner store men...they will adapt or suffer. They moved here so now they can deal with it.
Covering up for them would be like me going to a nude beach and yelling at people to wear turtlenecks.
LOL. Majority rules.
I can absolutely see how it can be shocking to them though. No one makes you shop there. If they can't control themselves there are TONS of stores you can go to. I wouldn't give them a dime if the acted like crap for whatever reason. Poor customer service is just bad business. If they want to make sales they are going to have to learn to cater to their new setting of customer base.

Hey we are going over there and saying women shouldn't have to cover up...so...why is that ok but the reverse isnt? That part doesnt make sense.

Dis for dis? At least with the american way its about how you feel for the moment. Not something as hard to change as a cultural belief based in one of the oldest religions in the world. Thats apples and oranges there.

Dressing outside the social norm of your setting is going to get attention. Different things are noticed.

The things I personally find offensive are the ones that are breaking nudity laws or dress code for the workplace. Like some misogynist is going to tell some chick to cover up when she has a free show hanging out for free? Yeah right. That will happen. But everyone else in the office has to be made uncomfortable because some chick wants to "be herself" at WORK? Its work..not a fashion show.
And its not like its some deep dark secret on what the general rules of professional attire are.
Male bosses are probably scared s-less to say anything or they get slapped with a sexual harassment suit.

Have to think of the current running story where the chick got sexually harassed by her boss and when wifey found out she made him fire her for being too attractive.

This has been a popular theme in the workplace news of that nature.

Its like ummm hey...if you met the requirements clearly for work these chicks wouldn't look like such self important tarty nit wits to the world. If someone is sticking their cleavage in my face I get to stick my opinion in yours. At least M. Nelson didn't go and have photoshoots sticking her boobs out like that stupid brunette that got fired for dressing to sexy.(think it was a ny bank teller or something) Yet its perfectly legal to fire someone for being too hot. Even after you sexually harass them. Thats nice. THAT is a situation that should be attacked. Not some one of a differing opinion.

James Knight Melissa Nelson: Dentist fires employee for being irresistible, sexy

I wish I could see the law in detail or any pictures of her at work.

Men are pigs. Dress accordingly. And even then...it still won't matter when you met the grand daddy of all pigs like that chick's boss. At least you will have a leg to stand on for argument though if you are dressing as the world at large see's as modest. Skin tight sweaters and cleavage...you know what people are going to think about that one.

People used to wear armor going into battle.

I think of workplace attire as the modern man's armor. Don't open yourself up to anything you don't need to. Be smart. You can be yourself in after hours while you continue to enjoy drawing a paycheck. Unless you work for that pervy dentist that probably stares down all his DA's shirts while they clean. His wife may make you jobless because he can't act professional and is a disgrace to all men and women everywhere. People like him are what create this "issue".

~shudders~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or