Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 10:17 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
The general rule is: up to about age 40, being thinner makes one appear younger. But after age 40, being thinner makes one appear older. There have been studies using identical twins where one is thin and the other is overweight. While the twins are in their 20's and 30's people generally mistake the thinner twin for being younger. From 40 onward, people mistake the heavier twin for being the younger one.

It has been said that after a certain age, a woman must choose between her face and her body. A little extra fat % can do wonders for the face but that'll come with some jiggle and cellulite.. conversely a tight, toned body often comes with a drawn, guant, haggard looking face after a certain age.
/thread

Nothing more needs to be said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 03:01 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,670,185 times
Quote:
The general rule is: up to about age 40, being thinner makes one appear younger. But after age 40, being thinner makes one appear older. There have been studies using identical twins where one is thin and the other is overweight. While the twins are in their 20's and 30's people generally mistake the thinner twin for being younger. From 40 onward, people mistake the heavier twin for being the younger one.

It has been said that after a certain age, a woman must choose between her face and her body. A little extra fat % can do wonders for the face but that'll come with some jiggle and cellulite.. conversely a tight, toned body often comes with a drawn, guant, haggard looking face after a certain age.
It has been said by whom? I am fit and slim and do not have a haggard looking face.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:11 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
It all depends. I've seen before and after pictures of people that have lost a lot of weight, and I felt that they looked older AFTER because of the amount of fat that they lost in their faces. It helps to have some cushion there to smooth out the skin. On the other hand, I've seen extra weight age a woman.

Then there are other things to consider, such as how she carries her weight, bone structure, etc.
This. People with 'baby-faces' usually tend to have more chubby faces. Gaunt faces look old to me, and skin sags and wrinkles show up more.

Check out some of those girls who died of anorexia. They were in their 20s and looked like mummies!

Old 12-24-2012, 07:33 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
As you get older, thinner usually means more wrinkles. Also I have noticed recently that the really thin people are dropping dead faster. It is better to be pleasantly plump and healthy.
I have to agree with this. One of my cousins actually dropped quite a bit of weight and is now just way too thin. She got so wrinkly also....

Old 12-25-2012, 03:30 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Yes,and no.

Some,like my sister,have big faces whether big or small. The fat just settles above their waists.
Me,matter how big I am,fat will not settle on my face. I start to look gaunt even if I'm still obese.

But I think if you have a fat face and fat neck,that definately makes you look older.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:36 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Not when they're bone thin with skin stretched taunt over the face bones like Maria Shriver, Courtney Cox, Jennifer Anniston, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Angelina Jolie are today.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:41 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
OP, if you're worried about looking young as you get older, here are some simple steps to take. Don't smoke cigarettes, don't use illegal drugs, don't drink more than two alcoholic drinks a day, do moderate exercise, use sunscreen when out in the sun, don't use tanning beds, try to stay within ten pounds of your ideal BMI weight but not below, try to go without makeup as much as possible, use mild facial cleanser and moisturizer, and if you start to go grey then let it go grey.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:13 AM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
It is a cultural question. In some cultures, plump and even obese people are considered beautiful and admired.
Also, it is a historical, sort of, question, as it's question of fashion, and fashion is being imposed onto people by others. This particular culture, already had its swings from super thin to "normal" looking body types. There are signs of the last being returned to acceptance, and truly so - you can sell a mini skirt only so long, thereafter, it's either wearing no skirt, or going back to longer ones, just to swing back to short ones, etc. 15 year cycles, I believe.
One shall argue, that "thin" people are healthier. Which is simply not true. There are plenty of people that have few extra pounds, and are perfectly healthy. ANd there are plenty that don't have any skin fat, look like coat hangers, and have same health issues as anybody else, half of them caused by overdieting and forcing their bodies into unnatural state of no fat. That's with liver, brain, and mieline sheaths being practically pure fat.

The base line is - wise pays no concern to what the fashion is. Wise understands that MODERATION is the key in everything, be it appearance or food intake. Wise understands, also, that appearance is no more than skin deep, and very often hides quite an ugly nature.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:26 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,381,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
As you get older, thinner usually means more wrinkles. Also I have noticed recently that the really thin people are dropping dead faster. It is better to be pleasantly plump and healthy.

This exactly. Older middle age to senior age women that are heavier have far fewer wrinkles in their face and neck as their thinner counterparts.

Older thinner women who have the financial resources to have face lifts can avoid wrinkles but also take on an unnatural look in their face.

Also many thin women have collagen injected into their facial area in order to " plump " up certain areas.

Heavier women already have this.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:30 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,381,971 times
Quote:

This is truth. I fully and completely agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty