U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-26-2012, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
846 posts, read 911,857 times
Reputation: 892

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Where can I find a women who isn't grossly overweight who isn't obsessed with looks? lol. I'm sure they're out there, but an annoyingly high percentage seem to be like this. Even fat women are miserable about it, or jealous, even as they can't control their appetites. If you're gonna be fat and not change, at least don't be miserable about it.
Try women from less industralized nations where majority of the time is spent worrying over how to keep a roof over their head or how to escape their country. How attractive do you generally find women of less industrialized nations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Maybe it's where I live. The closest US equivalent would be San Diego. This place is full of blonde (or at least mentally, sorry to blondes for using this stereotype) suburbanites...all my classmates seem to be getting married, having kids, buying houses in the 'burbs. Go to any dating site and the girls are just interested in going to the beach, the pub, clubbing and that's about it. The more intellectual ones just strike me as more snobby, and they're just as caught up in the body image thing. Bleh, that's why I wanna move to Melbourne ASAP.
Maybe because the more intellectual ones realize that in order to get things done or get ahead, you have to at least fit in or excel at what the crowd values or excel at it just to show what a joke it all really is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-26-2012, 05:14 PM
 
Location: H-Tine, Texas
6,742 posts, read 3,885,355 times
Reputation: 8522
Not this guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2012, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Cyan Planet
185 posts, read 122,891 times
Reputation: 203
What I'd like to know is this: Why is society (Western society in particular), so obsessed with having the "perfect body type," and yet obesity rates in many countries are high or rising? There is a MAJOR disconnect between what the media touts and what is seen in reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2012, 09:01 PM
 
613 posts, read 971,200 times
Reputation: 1194
Obviously we live in a time where humans have become extremely vain, narcissistic, superficial, and self-absorbed. All we can do is refuse to be like this, and those who have kids-- teach them real values.. don't worship celebrities, and don't feed into the consumer culture that dictates that we be this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2012, 09:02 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,552,571 times
Reputation: 47459
i dont hold others responsible for how they think and feel. i am powerless over others i can only work on my own defects of character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2012, 09:15 PM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,126 posts, read 25,850,169 times
Reputation: 16226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azula View Post
What I'd like to know is this: Why is society (Western society in particular), so obsessed with having the "perfect body type," and yet obesity rates in many countries are high or rising? There is a MAJOR disconnect between what the media touts and what is seen in reality.
My sister calls it the 'shame spiral'. You get picked on for being too fat, too thin, too tall, too short etc. and you resort to ultimately self destructive ways of making yourself feel 'better'. Then, you realize you're even deeper in the hole and farther away from being deemed acceptable so at that point you just keep being self destructive because 'why bother'?

I have a friend who lost a TON of weight (200 or so lbs) and now that she's thin she still gets made fun of for her extra skin. So, she lost the weight and she's still not attractive. At this point, she says she'd rather be fat again because at least then people could see that she was fat, now people see a thin person and it's a shock when it's revealed that she has a lot of sagging skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2012, 09:35 PM
 
236 posts, read 725,632 times
Reputation: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azula View Post
What I'd like to know is this: Why is society (Western society in particular), so obsessed with having the "perfect body type," and yet obesity rates in many countries are high or rising? There is a MAJOR disconnect between what the media touts and what is seen in reality.
Sugar is an addiction, like all other addictions... And, you don't need to be skinny to be obsessed with your looks. No matter what your size is, you can still go for a regular mani-pedi, spend an hour on your hair and makeup every day, and there are more and more stores with plus size fashion. Yo-yo dieting is probably the missing link for that disconnect you see, though. Yet another way to obsess about your appearance, overindulge in sweets, then fast and detox your system... lather, rinse, repeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2012, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Calabasas, CA
634 posts, read 787,198 times
Reputation: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
How many guys are just sick and tired of how almost every women seems to be so wrapped up in body image?
It doesnt bother me at all. I think its great that women care about their bodies (i.e., their health) and how they look. Its a great self confidence thing. I very rarely ever ever ever ever ever come across a woman who has taken it to an extreme. Even here in Los Angeles where people who dont live here, mistakenly THINK that everyone is wrapped up in body image. People care of course, but from what I see, people are quite active to do something about it. Was hanging at the local Starbucks Christmas eve morning and during the course of an hour, I must have seen a couple of hundred women come through wearing their Lululemon Athletica workout gear showing just how good they look and how much confidence they have in themseleves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Cyan Planet
185 posts, read 122,891 times
Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Ottawa One View Post
Sugar is an addiction, like all other addictions... And, you don't need to be skinny to be obsessed with your looks. No matter what your size is, you can still go for a regular mani-pedi, spend an hour on your hair and makeup every day, and there are more and more stores with plus size fashion. Yo-yo dieting is probably the missing link for that disconnect you see, though. Yet another way to obsess about your appearance, overindulge in sweets, then fast and detox your system... lather, rinse, repeat.
True, obsession isn't limited to one body type or weight. However, even within the media there are a lot of [false] dichotomies. I've seen commercials portraying the dangers of anorexia/bulimia, and then right after, they show ones that talk about the dangers of obesity/binging. I think all the obsessions and mixed messages have at least in part, led to ridiculous stereotypes.
Example 1: very slim = healthy; curves = fat.
Example 2: curvaceous = healthy; slim = anorexic
Example 3: Being overweight means laziness; being healthy means jumping through hoops (expensive health foods, complicated workout regimens)
I guess my point is that society wants to pigeonhole everyone into one extreme or another, and if you don't fit neatly, people are baffled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Cyan Planet
185 posts, read 122,891 times
Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
My sister calls it the 'shame spiral'. You get picked on for being too fat, too thin, too tall, too short etc. and you resort to ultimately self destructive ways of making yourself feel 'better'. Then, you realize you're even deeper in the hole and farther away from being deemed acceptable so at that point you just keep being self destructive because 'why bother'?

I have a friend who lost a TON of weight (200 or so lbs) and now that she's thin she still gets made fun of for her extra skin. So, she lost the weight and she's still not attractive. At this point, she says she'd rather be fat again because at least then people could see that she was fat, now people see a thin person and it's a shock when it's revealed that she has a lot of sagging skin.
Did she lose the weight slowly or rapidly? Generally the quicker the weight is lost, and/or the older the person, the more likely skin sagging is to occur. This might be an interesting read for your friend, but since I'm not a physician, I can't entirely vouch for or against its validity.
The Myth of Loose Skin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top