Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 04:52 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
^That comment is a clear revelation of your perspective.

A LOT of people wear Ralph Lauren, especially the polo player polo shirts. The rich do too, but RL is very popular among the middle class. To not know this, you would have to either be quite the hermit, maybe live way out in the country, or live in a hardcore working-class area. Pehaps some or all of the aforementioned is true AND you think of the middle class as "rich" - without a clue of what the truly rich/upper class even is. I grew up in a hardcore working-class city most of my childhood, one of the highest Democrat-voting cities in the United States - a place that is incredibly and uniquely devoid of middle-class culture, and I also went to HS in a small town where everybody from all walks of life went to school together. From those experiences, I do recall that the working-class kids thought of the middle class kids as rich. That was common. But dude, everybody wears RL except for maybe certain hardcore blue-collar types. Even people in the ghetto wear RL.
Yup. Agreed.

My country relations thought we were rich because we had a country club membership and my stepmom drove a Town Car. It's all a matter of perception.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:24 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Top 20%? That's middle income. My definition of rich is in the top 1% and even that has a large discrepancy. Making 1 mil a year isn't my definition of rich. Making multiple millions a year, every year, is rich.

My sister used to work for Chubb. She's since left and works for ACE now. The average home she sees is 15 million plus and many of those are 2nd and 3rd homes. And let me tell you...those homeowners ARE price sensitive despite being "rich." LOL
You're right, I should have said the top 5 percent. It's not just what you earn, it's your PNW that counts.

Anyone insuring with a company like Chubb or ACE isn't price sensitive, or they'd be with Allstate.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabaghoul View Post
To me, anyone who does not depend on a job for living is rich. If a CEO making $2,000,000 a year loses his job, he will be in the same condition as someone working at McDonald's. People who have steady income whether they work or not are the real rich.
Many CEO's sit on the Boards of other businesses as well, this provides an additional steady stream of income.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Yup. Agreed.

My country relations thought we were rich because we had a country club membership and my stepmom drove a Town Car. It's all a matter of perception.
This is very true. My sister-in-law thinks we're loaded because we own our cars outright and none of them are burning oil or have cracked windshields.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:19 PM

180 posts, read 267,077 times
I think I may live next door to your relative. Please tell her to turn down the mariachi music during her BBQs.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:53 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Yup. Agreed.

Social persuasion and wealth aren't mutually exclusive. No doubt. That's why you can have a weathy small business owner of the minimalist country persuasion who lives as if they are poor or a working/middle-class individual who is interested in country club membership (or maybe they just like golf and don't think of the class aspect). At the same time, many "country" people are wealthy farmers or business owners who do have country club membership. It seems like 'social persuasion' is partly or even largely a state of mind thing. I think that explains why a $30K per year bank teller or secretary can 'appear wealthier' than a $60K per year truck driver, machine operator or whatever. I think the lesson is not to stereotype or judge a book by its cover, respect and give every person the same consideration, and be yourself.

You hear that OP??

Old 01-04-2013, 05:24 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,164,627 times
Pretty sure OP is some sort of troll or wannabe. He posts about buying a mercedes benz, being rich, but then talks about making 50k/year.

I'm not sure what's going on with the OP.

Rich kids dress like everyone else. Whatever they want to be "seen" as.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:44 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,683,923 times
Probably the expensive kind.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:35 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
Pretty sure OP is some sort of troll or wannabe. He posts about buying a mercedes benz, being rich, but then talks about making 50k/year.

I'm not sure what's going on with the OP.

Rich kids dress like everyone else. Whatever they want to be "seen" as.
I think he's micro-planning for some sort of fantasy life he wants to accomplish.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,953 times
Default Not at all.

Ok, all the rich kids of london DO NOT wear brands like versace and gucci at all.

We wear brands like Supreme, Stussy, Bape etc. exclusive brands which are hard to get as a result arnt cheap but not as expensive as designer brands like that. Watches are a thing we all compete to have the best of, but then we dont wear designer watches we wear fine watches.

We all have gucci and armani ect but thats not actually the **** we wear.

hope that helped
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty