U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 12:27 PM

75,269 posts, read 67,030,035 times

Advertisements

It depends on where they live, and it depends on the kids. Some wear thrift shop clothes and army/navy surplus. Others wear Abercrombie's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 01:24 PM

4,970 posts, read 4,346,859 times
I see a lot of kids wearing "Abercrombie and Fitch" and such drivel.

I can never understand why people wear clothes advertising somebody's name on it, and pay loads more money just for a name. They are the ultimate sheeple. When I see people wearing something with "Abercrombie and fitch" on it I actually want to set them on fire. Same goes for Calvin Klein underwear, especially when they wear it with the label on the elastic showing just above the top of their pants.

You bloody sheeple.

It's such a vacuous and mindless mentality that says "Oh, they are popular, I've heard of them, I must buy that because everybody will think I'm cool if they see "abercrombie and fitch" on my top. I'll have more friends, everyone will think I've got money, and money and popularity are obviously the most deepest important things in the world. I am so awesome. Hey everybody, I wear calvin klein and abercrombie and fitch. Now kiss my ass".

Old 07-10-2014, 06:07 AM

28,938 posts, read 44,273,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I have experience with an upper-class/trust-fund girl who does the thrift store thing. There's a sort of psychological phenomenon that occurs within some of these girls that causes them to reject everything remotely pretentious or tied to wealth. This particular girl also waitressed in a desire to support herself rather than using her trust fund. I didn't understand it and thought 1) she was doing it because she had some sort of term to meet for gaining access to her trust fund (like graduating college), or 2) it was the same sort of drive as any other pretentiousness, but in reverse.
As one of these "girls" (women) myself, I'll address a couple of points:

1. Unless your parent/s have passed already, being a "trust fund kid" doesn't mean you get to use that money! I'm 37 years old, and have still never touched a dime of either of my trust funds... one I could legally access but my father would flip a lid, and the other I can't touch until he's gone. So I work and pay my bills like anyone else, with the advantages being my education (undergrad & graduate), future inheritance, and a "safety net" if/when an emergency arises. Meaning he wouldn't let me starve or be homeless, but I generally take care of business on my own.

2. I wouldn't call it "reverse pretentiousness," but more like a reaction to being assumed as a snob. Growing up, all I had to do was say the name of my (private prep) school, or the neighborhood where we lived, and I'd get the old "ooooh, you're a rich kid." Like Sixteen Candles and the Richies, lol. Then you have the people assuming we're all spoiled, never work hard, get to use our parents' money whenever we want, etc. So yeah, it probably is a reaction to that, and having to prove something about how NON-snobby she is.

3. See #1 again, regarding access to those trust funds... these days I mostly shop at Kohl's or outlet stores, because quite frankly, that's what I can afford. Also, everyone has their own style, regardless of their financial situation. I've been through many phases myself, including bohemian and grunge in my youth ('80s-90s) just 'cause I thought it looked cool. Still dress a bit bohemian-esque, in fact, which is probably regional influence.

Last edited by gizmo980; 07-10-2014 at 06:27 AM..

Old 07-10-2014, 06:13 AM

28,938 posts, read 44,273,021 times
Btw MOKAN - and I know this is an old thread so you might not even read this - but I did rep you for your first post! You are soooo right about "posing" and trying to feign something you are not. I honestly don't care, and have friends from ALL walks of life, but could still sniff out someone faking rich a mile away. My mother always said the clues are in the watch (becoming rare these days) and shoes, which should be obviously of a fine quality but not flashy.

The wealthiest person I know, who is (at last Forbes count) worth around $1.9 BILLION, is also one of the most "normal" looking men you'd meet. He looks like Joe the Plumber, not Joe the multi-billionaire real estate developer! But then you go to his house, and your jaw just drops at the finery... again, not flashy, but you know it's all worth a fortune. Even the napkins probably cost a month of my salary.

Last edited by gizmo980; 07-10-2014 at 06:43 AM..

Old 07-11-2014, 01:14 AM

71 posts, read 49,314 times
my cousins are rich kids but they wear not expensive clothes but their mom yes wear expensive brand of bags and dresses.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:25 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,312,145 times
Begin with the scents, down to the logo (large or noticeable equates economically friendly) generally the stitching would be a dead give away. Footwear [to include socks] can be mimicked quite impressively ... If you do not possess the aptitude you must never notice.

Note, I enjoy Kiton and you would never know unless you address my clothing.
Lastly, I'm not wealthy- I just play the role on television.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:38 PM

1,232 posts, read 2,461,327 times
I guess I could be considered a trust funder or someone who works in the family business. Let's just say I am very comfortable and so are my kids. The clothes they gravitate to are brands like Volcom and O'Neill and Hurley. They like Vans shoes as well as Nike and Adidas. I would say they go for comfort over anything.
As far as cars go , only one of my kids drive and he drives a completely redone 1978 Jeep Grand Wagoneer.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,263 times
First of all what do you call rich? The top 1% only makes above $100,000 but u see different types of rich kids.
1. The ones that don't care and will dress in cheap close such as Macy's, tommy hillfiger, American eagle .
2. The ones that like to show off, that where at the low end of the high end clothing industry Ralph Loren and it can go all the way up to privet clothing company's or Gucci, Burberry, coach, Lois Vettion and so on witch the shoes are any where between 200 to a couple of thousand. And the clothing can go as cheap as 100 to a couple of thousands and the pants are as cheap as 500 to a couple of thousands. There's a difference between wealthy and rich witch I can see people mistaking.
When someone is wealthy that means they have money to have nice things but they are on the lower end of the 1% that drive decent cars and might have a boat but not very expensive, mabby a couple of $100,000
Rich people are the ones that have 1 million of more income each year that they might have a privet jet and a yaut( yauts are 80ft or more btw) and they have high end sports cars and helicopter. Only a little amount can afford all of that
Helicopters- nice ones are anywhere between 2mill up to 20 mill
Planes you can spend any amount on them 4million up to $100 millions and yauts are the same.
Do not gouge people on what they wear because I see a lot of people that are millionaires and they don't dress wealthy and you have the people that have a yearly income of $50,000 and are spending all there money on nice clothing and stuff like that

Old 04-01-2015, 07:00 AM

3,498 posts, read 6,003,764 times
What I see in my family.....brothers/sisters and their kids..... is that we range from families who were able to give the kids 5 million to start their own business to some barely making it. When we get together for reunions you would not be able to tell who is rich or not by their clothes. The cars they arrive in-maybe- but not their clothes. My SIL who is probably the richest loves to shop for clothes in thrift shops and their cars are older Hondas.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:53 AM

16,552 posts, read 9,323,642 times
I'm going to throw this out there, but I've never thought it was about the clothes. Really, the rich kids around here mostly wear the same brands as the middle class kids.

It's the teeth. Seriously, it's the teeth. Don't worry about the clothes. Move into the very best school district possible, even if you must live in a shack, and find a great orthodontist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or