U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 10:22 AM

75,262 posts, read 67,007,089 times

Advertisements

Rich kids wear whatever they feel like wearing. Some wear army surplus and used clothes from thrift stores, because it's cool.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 12:54 PM

5,098 posts, read 4,215,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Rich kids wear whatever they feel like wearing. Some wear army surplus and used clothes from thrift stores, because it's cool.

Rich kids are "rich" because their parents do not waste their money on overpriced designer labels.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:25 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,134,510 times
It is just like everybody else in different class.
Some wear thrift store clothings.
Some wear middle-class brands like Abercrombie, NOrth face, American Eagle. and H & M.
Some wear expensive clothes like Prada, Miu Miu and Rick Owens.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:30 AM

14,720 posts, read 11,966,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
It is just like everybody else in different class.
Some wear thrift store clothings.
Some wear middle-class brands like Abercrombie, NOrth face, American Eagle. and H & M.
Some wear expensive clothes like Prada, Miu Miu and Rick Owens.
I live in a poorer area in the eastend of Glasgow and a lot of children have on designer clothes. how they manage it I dont know.. clothes dont make the person.. the person makes the clothes what they are. Im not impressed by fancy labels. never was ,I dont go for expensive bags or shoes either even if I could afford them..and I hate clothes bags or whatever with brand name labels , its tacky.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,019 times
it depends on where you're from. If you live on the east coast you wear vineyard vines and ralph lauren or sometimes brands similar. you dress really preppy not really sure what midwest kids wear. on the west coast they usually wear gucci, luis vuiton, prada and classy brands like that.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:56 PM

75,262 posts, read 67,007,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanmcavoy View Post
it depends on where you're from. If you live on the east coast you wear vineyard vines and ralph lauren or sometimes brands similar. you dress really preppy not really sure what midwest kids wear. on the west coast they usually wear gucci, luis vuiton, prada and classy brands like that.
Actually, a lot of them don't, on the West Coast. They wear clothes from thrift stores, hipster stuff, pajama tops or bottoms, or whatever they think is cool. Some are very into the extremely downscale look. You'd be really surprised whose kids or grandkids look like they dressed out of a charity box. Except for when their parents are taking them out to dinner. That's when the expensive labels are evident. On the other hand, some of the girls, if their parents give them their own credit card account or clothing allowance, do get into the pricey labels for their leisure wear.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:15 PM

10,435 posts, read 4,514,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I have experience with an upper-class/trust-fund girl who does the thrift store thing. There's a sort of psychological phenomenon that occurs within some of these girls that causes them to reject everything remotely pretentious or tied to wealth. This particular girl also waitressed in a desire to support herself rather than using her trust fund. I didn't understand it and thought 1) she was doing it because she had some sort of term to meet for gaining access to her trust fund (like graduating college), or 2) it was the same sort of drive as any other pretentiousness, but in reverse. Anyway, she was "smart", but I'm not sure that was really why she was the way she was. Honestly, I think she didn't fit in very well in her world and like anybody who doesn't fit in they create some other sort of identity or style. Kind of like what immature HS kids do.

I understand being sensible. I guess I even understand some folks don't care the least about fashion, nor need to. But sometimes I think folks go too far to counter something they don't like...IE: shopping for used clothes rather than just buying new modest, non-flashy clothing and building a wardrobe you can wear a long time.
I come from an affluent family, and I did pretty much the same thing as that girl you mentioned. Not the thrift store thing (I donate clothing there, but I feel kind of wrong buying up clothing that is by definition intended for those of limited means), but moving out as soon as it was legal to do so.

It has nothing to do with HS immaturity though. I just wanted to be independent and make it on my own. (That, and to get away from my toxic mother.)

Anyway, to answer the original question, I remember my parents taking me to specialized boutique stores, often in Europe. I honestly don't remember the names, and it's probably not even relevant now (I'm 24). I do remember having to get a lot of stuff tailored or even custom-made because I was always tall for my age. My mother was always very particular about fit, which is a neverending story for growing children.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:15 PM

16,286 posts, read 13,607,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokeman View Post
I'm sorry but i was just wondering i didn't know if i'm wrong or not but i would say classy brands like Gucci,Lacoste Lopez, Ralph Lauren from what i've seen.
Vineyard vines

Old 06-08-2015, 11:01 AM

2,497 posts, read 3,939,909 times
I find they tend to wear classic things, nothing too flashy, but classic. I always think of my first boss's daughters, they were stunning, model types, from NYC and I think the only colors I saw them wear were white, black, navy, tan and grey. Very basic. I learned a lot about style from them.

Nothing cheap though.....just well fitted, classic clothing. I remember them wearing a lot of Theory pants...

Old 06-08-2015, 12:57 PM

6,085 posts, read 3,428,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Not really, unless their parents are nouveau riche, and are trying to advertise that they've "arrived". Buying expensive brands like Gucci generally is regarded as a waste of money.
"Expensive" is subjective. What might be expensive to some may just be a drop in the bucket to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or