U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 06:39 AM

26,589 posts, read 51,951,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
OP: what sort of rich kids are we talking about? Generational wealth like people who live on the Upper East Side? The kids of Silicon Valley Millionaires? Kids of agriculture millionaires? "Nouveau Riche" like Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian? What ethnic groups? What age?

Way too many variables.

Some rich people have the "posh brands" like Chanel, Prada, Gucci etc bags, and high end clothing, but nothing especially ostentatious. The WASP-y upper east side types tends to have nice preppy clothing. LA rich kids from hollywood families tends to dress expensive trendy + vintage....it goes on and one.

Silicon Valley kids either look like the Hollywood kids, or the east coast preps, or just have a bunch of expensive basics: designer jeans, northface or patagonia, etc.
Paris Hilton is not Nouveau Riche--there's been money in her family (and lot's of it) for three generations before her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 07:38 AM

I have many friends who are very wealthy--not worth a million, because these days "millionaires" are a dime a dozen--but worth tens of millions.

They tend to live in better neighborhoods with great schools. Over half send their kids to public school both for K-12 and for college--but they are top-rated public schools if they go that route. If there isn't a top-rated public K-12 then they go private, which can be Catholic or Prep depending on the quality of the school. Some attend Ivy League Universities out of family tradition, but more and more I'm seeing them head to the best school for their major. Obviously out-of-state tuition at public schools isn't an issue.

They don't always have the largest home, and the longer they've had money, generally the less ostentatious the home overall. In fact the more money they have, the more likely the home is to be rather quirky both in design and decor. The ones that have very large homes seem to use them for entertaining for charity purposes very regularly, but they aren't pretentious.

Their cars range from pick up trucks to Mercedes, but they tend to buy something that will last and keep it for a number of years. One friend is still driving the 1978 Mercedes rag top that her mother gave her in the late 80's and she will probably continue to do so for the foreseeable future. She certainly could afford another car and has a Subaru she drives in the winter when the roads are bad, but loves her Mercedes. The ones that tend to drive late model higher end vehicles have them through their business as a lease for tax purposes and have to replace them every 2-3 years. The ones that own "toys" (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Koenigsegg, Bugatti, Tesla, etc.) are generally those who own the car because they fully love and appreciate it--it's like a child, not a trophy. (Nouveau Riche are the exception to the above--they seem to have a pathological need to "prove they made it" by owning a very expensive car and leaving it in the driveway so all can see. )

Their clothing is all over the place. The adults lean towards better brands and designer (Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Eileen Fisher, Brooks Brothers, Stella, D&G, Armani, St. John) but they tend to buy for quality and classic looks and keep the clothing for many years. The kids tend to shop a combination of thrift shops and better brands, and it has nothing to do with where they live. They use the better brand clothes for when they need to dress up some for a family event, wedding, etc., but day-to-day they tend to wear whatever is clean.

The middle class kids from the suburbs are the ones hung up on Aeropostale and similar, not the trust fund kids. In fact the bigger the trust fund, the less likely they are to care about what they are wearing. Many of the trust fund people I know have lived overseas for a semester or more, and often have done a lot of charitable work in developing nations, and are well aware of how fortunate they are. As a result, they don't follow the excessive consumerism that is distinctly American (and Japanese, but that's another thread.)

All that aside, it's very easy to see who is actually wealthy and who is pretending to be rich. There's a sense of grace and confidence that goes along with having money. People pretending to be rich are obvious as they are trying too hard. People who are rich don't have to try.

It's not just about having the right clothes and car (as I mentioned above, the majority of the rich people I know have more important things on their mind) but also the right life experiences. They are well traveled, and have first hand knowledge of art, theater, wine, golf, sailing, and investing (maybe not all, but a good percentage of those). They know other rich people. They participate in philanthropy, and can write a check for $10K for a pet charity without blinking an eye. They know the right people in the right social circles and know how to entertain graciously.

Those who pretend to be rich are seen as hangers-on, and will be politely ignored.

Last edited by annerk; 12-30-2012 at 08:36 AM..

Old 12-30-2012, 08:29 AM

161 posts, read 512,779 times
I thought lacoste was a nice classy brand no one mentioned it?
Lacoste Supima Cotton Jersey V-neck Sweater : Sweaters

Old 12-30-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokeman View Post
I thought lacoste was a nice classy brand no one mentioned it?
It's nothing special. No different than Lauren or Brooks Bros. I don't know any "younger" people who wear it, mostly golfers these days. It's certainly not "in."

Old 12-30-2012, 11:37 AM

19,338 posts, read 51,930,146 times
Those I knew (one billionaire and several millionaires) would not be caught dead in clothes with a label showing. No little horseman, no entwined initials.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:42 AM

3,572 posts, read 6,020,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokeman View Post
Dude where ever i work i will spend my money on clothes and car so people will think i'm rich where someone like you who makes more has crappy clothes and crappy car it pisses you off.
You clearly are interested in a wealthy lifestyle when you don't come from such. You're not the only person like that. I think it would be cool if you opened a thread explaining your thinking and what drives your interest in a wealthy lifestyle. Others might give input and you might learn some more about what you seek.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:44 AM

408 posts, read 818,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Paris Hilton is not Nouveau Riche--there's been money in her family (and lot's of it) for three generations before her.

Proof that money cannot buy class.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:45 AM

408 posts, read 818,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Those I knew (one billionaire and several millionaires) would not be caught dead in clothes with a label showing. No little horseman, no entwined initials.
Absolutely right. Notice that PRL expensive cashmere sweaters don't have a little pony, cheaper wools do.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I didn't mind the little horse, but the new style with the 3-5" high one is crass and vulgar. We won't buy clothing with it. I do like the Brooks Bros "Golden Fleece" logo. Unless you own Brooks Bros clothing, you wouldn't recognize it. it's not a pop culture icon like the polo pony, alligator, etc.

Frankly it's difficult to find clothing that doesn't have some sort of "tag." Levi's, Dockers, even some of LL Bean's clothing have visible labels--and none of them are brands that would make you think "cool!"

Old 12-30-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabaghoul View Post
Absolutely right. Notice that PRL expensive cashmere sweaters don't have a little pony, cheaper wools do.
Just like Calvin Klein and many others, Ralph Lauren has a number of different lines within the brand. The higher end lines avoid conspicuous external labels, as those who own them don't care what others think of their clothing. My favorite better brand/designer has no external labels, yet anyone who wears that line instantly knows when they run across someone else wearing it as it has a fairly unique sense of style and design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or