Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 02:36 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
This is an elitist comment. You have no idea if he owns cashmere or not. Cashmere is expensive, but where I live it is too hot to wear it. The rich kids here wear a lot of Ralph Lauren, but so do a lot of kids who are not so rich. Most places kids want to look alike.
It's not something I'd say typically, but given the particular poster, it was justified.

I have half a dozen or so cashmere sweaters from when I lived up north. I pull them out when I need to go north in the winter, and wear them once or twice each winter down here on really cold days. (I know, that's relevant)

Cashmere is expensive, however if you wait until the end of the season you can pick it up for a reasonable price. It also depends on the ply--two-ply is much more expensive, but also much better quality and more durable for many years of wear. Generally speaking, garments made from cashmere will have a very traditional, classic look so you'll be able to wear them for years.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:12 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It's not something I'd say typically, but given the particular poster, it was justified.

I have half a dozen or so cashmere sweaters from when I lived up north. I pull them out when I need to go north in the winter, and wear them once or twice each winter down here on really cold days. (I know, that's relevant)

Cashmere is expensive, however if you wait until the end of the season you can pick it up for a reasonable price. It also depends on the ply--two-ply is much more expensive, but also much better quality and more durable for many years of wear. Generally speaking, garments made from cashmere will have a very traditional, classic look so you'll be able to wear them for years.

Maybe your comment was justified, but I have always believed that people with true wealth don't have to prove it. Usually it is not that easy to tell when someone has been brought up with wealth, but the ones new to money are constantly trying to prove how much they have by their comments and possessions.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:58 PM

406 posts, read 1,039,256 times
Quote:
This is an elitist comment. You have no idea if he owns cashmere or not. Cashmere is expensive, but where I live it is too hot to wear it. The rich kids here wear a lot of Ralph Lauren, but so do a lot of kids who are not so rich. Most places kids want to look alike.
FYI cashmere could be easily worn in hot weather.

RLBL cashmere v-neck (could be worn in summer)

Old 12-30-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabaghoul View Post
FYI cashmere could be easily worn in hot weather.

RLBL cashmere v-neck (could be worn in summer)
I live in a tropical area, so no one wears it here. If we own it, we wear it when we travel to other places like NYC. Anyone who wore a sweater like you are talking about in my area would peel it off pretty quickly. The less you wear here, the better you feel.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
I live in a tropical area, so no one wears it here. If we own it, we wear it when we travel to other places like NYC. Anyone who wore a sweater like you are talking about in my area would peel it off pretty quickly. The less you wear here, the better you feel.
Article about people wearing cashmere with short skirts on the beach

Old 12-30-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokeman View Post
You obviously have not seen Loro Piana cashmere sweaters

Old 12-31-2012, 05:25 AM

Yes, people who live in NYC would know what we wear. The article you used was written in 2005. We wear linen and cotton, but hey I guess since I live here I would know.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:04 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
I always preferred cashmere/linen or cashmere/silk blends during the summer.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:08 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
I find cashmere--even the lightweight blends--to be far too hot for southern summers. It's the humidity that kills you more than the heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty