Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 08:12 PM

524 posts, read 840,463 times

Advertisements

omg its all padagonia, lululemon, sperry, maddens, northface all the old school is back

Old 12-29-2012, 08:12 PM

406 posts, read 1,035,230 times
Old money: Polo Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers, Lacoste, Vineyard Vines...

New money: Armani, Dsquared, Gucci...

Old 12-29-2012, 09:19 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,930,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokeman View Post
I'm sorry but i was just wondering i didn't know if i'm wrong or not but i would say classy brands like Gucci,Lacoste Lopez, Ralph Lauren from what i've seen.
Dude,

Judging from the other threads you've created - including "How to tell someone is rich?" and "are these good first car ideas?" (the latter in which you showed us links to several-year-old, high-mileage Mercedes models) - it appears you are 'researching' how to take on a new persona. Well, let me tell you now - if you seriously attempt such an endeavor, you're going to be one obvious poser. It's hard to fake something and trying to be something you'll never be will drive you crazy or to drug or alcohol addiction.

You'll never have knowledge of growing up attending cultural events like the ballet or symphony. You'll never have knowledge or the experience of growing up going to private school or knowing several other wealthy familes from the same country club. You can't fake college. You can't pretend you're upper class or rich when you're tethered to a working-class job you're dependant on. You can't be who you can't date - so if you can't get dates with the caliber of women that are in the league you want to be in, well, you can't be what you aren't! You can't take on the mannerisms and subtle nuances of a "rich kid" no matter how you dress - the real you will shine through and you'll look like a poser.

You should open a thread in the psychology section spilling the beans on what's going on inside your head. It would be interesting to see you open up and be honest and explain the reason for your obsession with rich people.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:37 PM

122 posts, read 300,326 times
lot of SMART rich kids buy there stuff in consignment, Vintage/charity shops. I see a lot of them with the NYC private school uniforms on. Boys from Buckley, Dalton, etc.

Renee Rockefeller is a big thrift and consignment store shopper.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAT KRIS View Post
lot of SMART rich kids buy there stuff in consignment, Vintage/charity shops. I see a lot of them with the NYC private school uniforms on. Boys from Buckley, Dalton, etc.

Renee Rockefeller is a big thrift and consignment store shopper.
I have experience with an upper-class/trust-fund girl who does the thrift store thing. There's a sort of psychological phenomenon that occurs within some of these girls that causes them to reject everything remotely pretentious or tied to wealth. This particular girl also waitressed in a desire to support herself rather than using her trust fund. I didn't understand it and thought 1) she was doing it because she had some sort of term to meet for gaining access to her trust fund (like graduating college), or 2) it was the same sort of drive as any other pretentiousness, but in reverse. Anyway, she was "smart", but I'm not sure that was really why she was the way she was. Honestly, I think she didn't fit in very well in her world and like anybody who doesn't fit in they create some other sort of identity or style. Kind of like what immature HS kids do.

I understand being sensible. I guess I even understand some folks don't care the least about fashion, nor need to. But sometimes I think folks go too far to counter something they don't like...IE: shopping for used clothes rather than just buying new modest, non-flashy clothing and building a wardrobe you can wear a long time.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:32 PM

406 posts, read 1,035,230 times
MOKAN: you're not a headshrinker are you?

Old 12-29-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabaghoul View Post
MOKAN: you're not a headshrinker are you?
No. Why do you ask? I just notice patterns. haha

Another thing I've noticed is professors and the Mickey Mouse watch thing. That seems rooted in some sort of effort to not be pretentious...yet became a trend in itself.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:45 AM

180 posts, read 266,126 times
All the rich kids in town wear their old gym clothes from junior high!

Old 12-30-2012, 07:19 AM

161 posts, read 632,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Dude,

Judging from the other threads you've created - including "How to tell someone is rich?" and "are these good first car ideas?" (the latter in which you showed us links to several-year-old, high-mileage Mercedes models) - it appears you are 'researching' how to take on a new persona. Well, let me tell you now - if you seriously attempt such an endeavor, you're going to be one obvious poser. It's hard to fake something and trying to be something you'll never be will drive you crazy or to drug or alcohol addiction.

You'll never have knowledge of growing up attending cultural events like the ballet or symphony. You'll never have knowledge or the experience of growing up going to private school or knowing several other wealthy familes from the same country club. You can't fake college. You can't pretend you're upper class or rich when you're tethered to a working-class job you're dependant on. You can't be who you can't date - so if you can't get dates with the caliber of women that are in the league you want to be in, well, you can't be what you aren't! You can't take on the mannerisms and subtle nuances of a "rich kid" no matter how you dress - the real you will shine through and you'll look like a poser.

You should open a thread in the psychology section spilling the beans on what's going on inside your head. It would be interesting to see you open up and be honest and explain the reason for your obsession with rich people.
Dude where ever i work i will spend my money on clothes and car so people will think i'm rich where someone like you who makes more has crappy clothes and crappy car it pisses you off.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:37 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,646,807 times
DD went to a private school one year and her peers wore sweats and t-shirts.

And Cokeman: You sound pretty young, so start studying hard, get a good education. Work on your self-image.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty