Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 12:02 PM

161 posts, read 634,018 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry but i was just wondering i didn't know if i'm wrong or not but i would say classy brands like Gucci,Lacoste Lopez, Ralph Lauren from what i've seen.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:23 PM

768 posts, read 879,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokeman View Post
I'm sorry but i was just wondering i didn't know if i'm wrong or not but i would say classy brands like Gucci,Lacoste Lopez, Ralph Lauren from what i've seen.
They advertise all that crap on prime time TV now. I doubt most will have heard of the names of stuff the really well off wear. Why would wealthy people want to wear the above brands when you can buy knock off versions of them and not tell the difference?

Old 12-29-2012, 12:24 PM

161 posts, read 634,018 times
Well my cousins are rich and he had tommy hillfiger button up shirt which i don't think thats real expensive.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:37 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
My family would be considered well into upper-income and our son tends to dress in military surplus fatigue pants, a concert t-shirt, and a 25 year old threadbare hoodie. He has some decent clothes as well, a sports jacket from Macy's (no brand name), Dockers, and a couple of Lauren dress shirts not because of the name brand but rather they were bought on sale at Macy's for $8 each.

By the way--you can definitely tell the difference between knock offs and the real thing.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:31 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,479,708 times
It depends. "Rich kids" come in many varieties. My categorizing is aimed more at young men somewhere around the age of a college student.

A)The "stereotypical" preppy kids will have Sperry or Quoddy boat shoes, Alden or Allen Edmonds dress shoes, occasional Cole Haan casual shoes, and clothing from a variety of sources such as Barbour, J Press, Brooks Brothers, L.L. Bean, Burberry*, and Ralph Lauren.

*Burberry has declined significantly in this group as Christopher Bailey transformed the then ailing trench coat and scarf company into a global fashion powerhouse.

B) The somewhat more laid back incarnation of A group take a far more casual approach. While A prefers oxford cloth button downs and more fitted trousers, B is content with flannel shirts, more relaxed trousers, or *gasp* denim. (Many will roll their eyes at A group for looking like the preppy villains of 80s movies). B still will have some Brooks Brothers suits squirrelled away for when the occasion demands it. Interestingly, when you see an errant loafer lying around, you'll notice that it's a Ferragamo.

C) The rich urbanite is the most varied, and many look as if they've stepped off a runway. They defy easy categorization since their outfits can vary wildly depending on circumstances. One day a fellow might bring out his $700 sneakers. The next, he'll have a formal function which demands his $1,000+ Edward Greens.

D) Fashion isn't important. Even though an upper class young man would have grown up with more rigorous social conventions than his working class equivalent, society still doesn't compel men to maintain standards comparable with a woman of the equivalent social class.

Quote:
By the way--you can definitely tell the difference between knock offs and the real thing.
Amen. The people who can't tell the difference probably aren't the target demographic of the "real deal" anyway.

On a personal note, I find style B to be "the best." Style A exudes an alluring polish, but it's difficult to interact with a broad spectrum of people when that style has so many negative connotations. Further, I can't be bothered ironing or paying someone to do it for me. B on the other hand incorporates taste and quality garments without being called a "preppy douche" behind one's back or to one's face.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:59 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
Kids??? As in 4-12??? Boden rocks!!!

Old 12-29-2012, 04:20 PM

102,184 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokeman View Post
Not really, unless their parents are nouveau riche, and are trying to advertise that they've "arrived". Buying expensive brands like Gucci generally is regarded as a waste of money.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:44 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Not really, unless their parents are nouveau riche, and are trying to advertise that they've "arrived". Buying expensive brands like Gucci generally is regarded as a waste of money.
Exactly. We don't dwell on material things and brought our son up to be the same way. That's why my husband is currently watching the game on an old tube style TV which we will keep until it's dead.

Our son is going on 27, labels don't matter to him. He'd rather save his money to travel and eventually buy a house with a very large down-payment. He gets his pants for about $12 at the Army-Navy store. They are comfortable, last forever, and easy to care for. (He wears a uniform at work.)

Old 12-29-2012, 05:28 PM

165 posts, read 306,881 times
I think rich kids wear diamond-encrusted pantaloons. I saw it in Lil Abner.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:41 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
This thread needs a theme song:

Frank Ocean - Super Rich Kids (Ft. Earl Sweatshirt) + Lyrics - YouTube

OP: what sort of rich kids are we talking about? Generational wealth like people who live on the Upper East Side? The kids of Silicon Valley Millionaires? Kids of agriculture millionaires? "Nouveau Riche" like Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian? What ethnic groups? What age?

Way too many variables.

Some rich people have the "posh brands" like Chanel, Prada, Gucci etc bags, and high end clothing, but nothing especially ostentatious. The WASP-y upper east side types tends to have nice preppy clothing. LA rich kids from hollywood families tends to dress expensive trendy + vintage....it goes on and one.

Silicon Valley kids either look like the Hollywood kids, or the east coast preps, or just have a bunch of expensive basics: designer jeans, northface or patagonia, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.