Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 06:02 AM

275 posts, read 1,283,117 times

Advertisements

I saw facial cleansers are in different forms, cleansing lotion versus cleansing cream, creating bubble versus not creating bubble. I was wondering what different purposes they are for, and which is better in your opinion?

As for cleansing cream, is it very similar to facial massage cream? How do you think if I use facial massage cream as the only way to clean my face daily, such as this one Amazon.com: Biotone Dual Purpose Massage Crème 14oz: Beauty ? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 11:06 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
That's not a cleansing cream, that's a cream for massage -- massage needs a cream with a long dry time as the massuese works on the muscle so her hands float over your skin.

A cleansing cream or lotion doesn't need to bubble or foam -- I use CeraVe hydrating cleanser and it cleans very well without drying. But my skin is dryer and more sensitive. If your skin is oiler there is a different CeraVe for that.

You might have to try a few to see if you like them -- in my experience, you can't tell with just one or two tries -- your skin may take time to react. That's how I figured out I was allergic to soy in skin products. It took several weeks for my skin to finally have enough and thicken up. Switch to something else no soy, and skin would calm down... try something with soy.... a month later -- skin reaction.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:31 AM

Thanks!

Yes, the link I gave is called massage cream. An example of cleansing cream is Noxzema Deep Cleansing Cream Plus Moisturizers 1... : Target. But my question was whether cleansing cream and massage are similar to each other, in the sense that I can use cleansing cream as massage cream?

I am trying the massage cream in my previous post, and feel it can dry on one part if I leave it there after a while (a few minutes) and massage other parts of my face. If I come back to that place again, I add some water to that part. Is it normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
That's not a cleansing cream, that's a cream for massage -- massage needs a cream with a long dry time as the massuese works on the muscle so her hands float over your skin.

A cleansing cream or lotion doesn't need to bubble or foam -- I use CeraVe hydrating cleanser and it cleans very well without drying. But my skin is dryer and more sensitive. If your skin is oiler there is a different CeraVe for that.

You might have to try a few to see if you like them -- in my experience, you can't tell with just one or two tries -- your skin may take time to react. That's how I figured out I was allergic to soy in skin products. It took several weeks for my skin to finally have enough and thicken up. Switch to something else no soy, and skin would calm down... try something with soy.... a month later -- skin reaction.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:21 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlee View Post
Thanks!

Yes, the link I gave is called massage cream. An example of cleansing cream is Noxzema Deep Cleansing Cream Plus Moisturizers 1... : Target. But my question was whether cleansing cream and massage are similar to each other, in the sense that I can use cleansing cream as massage cream?

I am trying the massage cream in my previous post, and feel it can dry on one part if I leave it there after a while (a few minutes) and massage other parts of my face. If I come back to that place again, I add some water to that part. Is it normal?
No -- cleansing cream has ingredients in it to clean, and the ability to rinse away. A massage cream is meant to stay on your skin as a moisturizer, and take some time to dry, to allow the massuese time to work the muscle.. It will take a cleanser and water to wash away the massage cream.

Massage cream and facial cleansers are two very different things. I can't think why you would massage your face on a daily basis, but as long as a cleansing cream doesn't dry out, you could use it as a massage cream for your face.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:12 PM

Thanks!

The reason for massaging my face daily is because I think of washing faces as massaging faces.

After I applied the massage cream in my first post and finished massaging, I washed my face use only water without any cleanser. Would that be okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
No -- cleansing cream has ingredients in it to clean, and the ability to rinse away. A massage cream is meant to stay on your skin as a moisturizer, and take some time to dry, to allow the massuese time to work the muscle.. It will take a cleanser and water to wash away the massage cream.

Massage cream and facial cleansers are two very different things. I can't think why you would massage your face on a daily basis, but as long as a cleansing cream doesn't dry out, you could use it as a massage cream for your face.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:19 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,887 times
I like a non-lathering cream cleanser myself, I usually use Cetaphil or Aquanil. Anything that lathers seems to make my face dry and peel, no matter how light it is

I like Ponds cleansing towlettes to remove makeup.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:32 PM

For non-lathering cream cleanser, which products of Cetaphil and Aquanil do you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I like a non-lathering cream cleanser myself, I usually use Cetaphil or Aquanil. Anything that lathers seems to make my face dry and peel, no matter how light it is

I like Ponds cleansing towlettes to remove makeup.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:00 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlee View Post
For non-lathering cream cleanser, which products of Cetaphil and Aquanil do you recommend?
Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser. I think there's only one type of Aquanil. I usually have to order it online which is why I stick with Cetaphil, it's easy to find in most drugstores. Around $15 USD for 20 oz, I usually use two pumps.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:29 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
I used to use cetaphil, but after a little while, my skin never felt quite "clean" enough. I realized, although I am dry I need to do a routine like the following for optimum skin. For reference, I am dry and semi-snesitve:

1. exfoliate a few times a week. I am alternating with a brightening exfoliator and a retinol one that I just bought
2. Use a "lathering" or deep cleanser a few times a week, especially when I am exercising more
3. Use a gentle creamy cleanser that may or may not need to be rinsed off daily
4. Use toner most days (right now I just buy rose and orange blossom water and mix them together)

This creamy cleanser is the best I have used, you don't need to rinse it off, toner is sufficient. But rinsing it works well too.
Apicosma cleansing milk for sensitive skin, organic certified - Melvita USA

These days, I use the cleanser above at night. And exfoliate or use toner only in the morning.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:41 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,303 times
Cream cleansers are generally for those with dry skin. They are more emollient to help soften and protect dry skin. Foaming cleansers are better for those with combo/oily skin as they have ingredients designed to remove sebum.

Always read the ingredients when choosing a cleanser. It can be a breakout disaster for an oily skinned person to use a cream cleanser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty