Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 08:41 AM

145 posts, read 347,038 times

Advertisements

It seems like most women my age (I just graduated college, so maybe it's just a younger person thing) seem to really like the super flamboyant preppy look with tons of bright colors and eccentric ties, etc. Examples of what I mean:

Do women really like guys who dress like that? I am by no means a sweatpants and graphic tee kind of person, but I prefer to dress in more muted, traditional colors like navy blue, black, white, beige, etc. I feel as though mens fashion is straightforward: be clean-cut and well put together (i.e. make sure the clothes fit well, don't wear athletic sneakers outside the gym, etc.) but don't be fashion forward or try to impress. I feel that dressing in loud colors isn't very masculine, but girls seem to love it.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 08:47 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
If it works for them good.

I myself will definitely experiment with bright colors once in a while like yellow, pink, light purple, etc. I actually get compliments for being so daring with bright colors (especially being a big guy.) Apparently SOME girls like guys who brighten up their wardrobe once in a while.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:49 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
I wear a lot of t-shirts in varying shades of grey and black, and jeans mostly. With boots.

Guys who dress like they're heading back to Chapel Hill for the class reunion aren't really the type to do it for me.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:54 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,316,120 times
Bowties rub me the wrong way. Other than that, guys can dress the way they like, as long as they're dressed!

Old 12-13-2012, 09:03 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times
I think men (and women) should be able to dress how they want, no matter their age or sexual orientation or whatever. BUT I have never been attracted to men who look like they are really into fashion, hair, lots of grooming products, etc. -- as long as he is clean, I could not care less that he mostly dresses in t-shirts and jeans on the weekends (and would on weekdays as well if his job would allow). EG I find Tom Brady exceptionally attractive as a football player, but not as a man (but I know a lot of women who would completely disagree with me!).

Last edited by karen_in_nh_2012; 12-13-2012 at 09:13 AM..

Old 12-13-2012, 09:05 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,856,735 times
Dress shirts in whatever loud color you like are great, we like to see a guy thinking outside the box...although it makes us think that you have a woman picking out your shirts.

Bright colored pants or shorts are not that great...tan is the only light colored pant color that looks good, white is ok if you are actually on a boat.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:10 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,966,491 times
Who's to say a lot of these guys aren't gay? There was only one picture of the guy with girls in it, and it was a bunch of girls. Girls often like to have gay guys as friends, since they're easier to relate with. My vote is that most of them are gay.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:13 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Who's to say a lot of these guys aren't gay? There was only one picture of the guy with girls in it, and it was a bunch of girls. Girls often like to have gay guys as friends, since they're easier to relate with. My vote is that most of them are gay.
Gee, I didn't know that we were voting on their sexual orientation?

Old 12-13-2012, 09:16 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,800,754 times
Default To an Extent

I love the preppy look, but to an extent. I love a well-dressed man or sometimes he can be rugged in jeans and t-shirt. As long as he doesn't look like a slob or a dud, I'm pretty much pleased.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:39 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,966,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Gee, I didn't know that we were voting on their sexual orientation?
Maybe if you read the question of the thread you would have an idea on what this is about. "Do women seriously like guys who dress like this?" My answer is no, not in that way, because I believe they are gay. Capiche?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty