U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 07:34 PM

11,151 posts, read 13,795,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I admit, I didn't. I have a couple 32ds I bought from VS over the summer that fit well though. Their measuring system is complex, I don't understand why it has to be so complicated.

Last time I got measured in store, I feel like the sales girl didn't even measure me properly. She just held the measuring tape around me extremely loosely like she was uncomfortable with the process and said "You should be a 34C". WRONG. 34 at VS is way too wide for me.

Well, from what UE says, it sounds as though it might not have mattered anyway. I agree -- return them and don't buy from VS online anymore, unless it's a style you've worn before and are sure of the sizing.

Sorry, though -- it's a shame when you spend money on some "pretties" and they don't fit .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 08:11 PM

26,875 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
Bras have gone the way of jeans in terms of vanity sizing, sadly. You can get five different bras in the same size from five different places, and they would each fit differently. I stopped buying VS bras because I could never figure out what the proper size was (even after getting measured!), and it sounds like you're having the exact same issue. I'd just send the bras that are ill-fitting back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Bras with push-up and padding may require you to go up a size. Though I lust after the bras at VS with all their lace and bright colors, they don't have a reliable or accurate sizing method and I think they should be avoided.

Have you tried bras from brands like Freya or Curvy Kate? I think you have to turn to a UK company to get a good fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I admit, I didn't. I have a couple 32ds I bought from VS over the summer that fit well though. Their measuring system is complex, I don't understand why it has to be so complicated.

Last time I got measured in store, I feel like the sales girl didn't even measure me properly. She just held the measuring tape around me extremely loosely like she was uncomfortable with the process and said "You should be a 34C". WRONG. 34 at VS is way too wide for me.

The odds are like 90% you might have sized out of VS. And their measuring system is pretty crappy anyway.

If the band fits you Pear Martini, then you need to go up a few cups. I would not be surprised if you were a 32F. Or even a smaller band.

VS sizes me at something like 38DDD (which they don't really even carry) and I am more like a 32HH or a 34H).

And don't forget, cup is relational to band, so a 28DD is very different than 40DD.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:12 PM

26,875 posts, read 28,145,186 times
UK brands are available at Nordstrom, they are the best mainstream store selection wise. Or go online to Figleaves.com or Bravissimo.com or Herroom.com

Old 01-02-2013, 09:55 PM

11,429 posts, read 19,443,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Well, from what UE says, it sounds as though it might not have mattered anyway. I agree -- return them and don't buy from VS online anymore, unless it's a style you've worn before and are sure of the sizing.

Sorry, though -- it's a shame when you spend money on some "pretties" and they don't fit .....
Even if you've bought them before -- sometimes it doesn't matter. I bought a certain Cacique bra for years and got a rude suprise when I bought two online and found they now were doing a plus 4 method of measuring (your measurement + 4 inches), after YEARS of your band size was your measured size.

When I went to Lane Bryant, the woman told me I was wrong... that's ALWAYS good customer service.... so I pulled out a 48, a 46 and a 42 and asked for her measuring tape.... and the bands measured out at 44, 42 and 38....and she still said I had to be wrong.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:22 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,316,077 times
Bras are just like jeans... every style and pair fits different, unfortunately.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:31 AM

683 posts, read 469,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Bras with push-up and padding may require you to go up a size. Though I lust after the bras at VS with all their lace and bright colors, they don't have a reliable or accurate sizing method and I think they should be avoided.

Have you tried bras from brands like Freya or Curvy Kate? I think you have to turn to a UK company to get a good fit.
haha i lust after them too..best part is when i used to go with my ex bra shopping there..damn those were some good time lol

Old 01-03-2013, 12:33 AM

683 posts, read 469,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The odds are like 90% you might have sized out of VS. And their measuring system is pretty crappy anyway.

If the band fits you Pear Martini, then you need to go up a few cups. I would not be surprised if you were a 32F. Or even a smaller band.

VS sizes me at something like 38DDD (which they don't really even carry) and I am more like a 32HH or a 34H).

And don't forget, cup is relational to band, so a 28DD is very different than 40DD.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:21 AM

14,072 posts, read 20,140,553 times
All I know is I spent $50 on VS push up bra and the strap doesn't stay connected in the back. So I'm out in public and it just comes apart. Plus I think their styles now are so ugly. They aren't sexy like they used to be in the old days when I worked there.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:52 AM

3,404 posts, read 7,252,467 times
^^^agreed. They are becoming more flashy and adolescent looking. Everything is neon, rhinestones, sequins galore. It reminds me of something Miley Cirus would wear while spinning around a pole at a children's award show. Ten years ago, when my mother shopped there she had the most beautiful sets from there. They were elegant, sexy, and sophisticated.

I highly doubt she could find anything there now she would like besides nude bras.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:37 PM

1,601 posts, read 1,715,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
UK brands are available at Nordstrom, they are the best mainstream store selection wise. Or go online to Figleaves.com or Bravissimo.com or Herroom.com
Figleaves.com is a great suggestion. I always forget about them lately, when the time comes for bra purchasing, for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty